Seeing higher speeds in Charlotte

frankt3

I live and die in Wake Forest.... and my verizon LTE speeds are 30mb down/20-25mb up. So that debunks your verizon theory. 2nd... embark? Embarq... embarq'd awhile ago, we have Centurylink now.... and if you goto their store in north raleigh off capital blvd... ask for bonded DSL... speeds up to 40mb/s....they also offer prism tv.. which is IPTV.

Additionally, if you need more speed, TWC in the triangle does 50mb down/5mb up... soon to be 50mb down/25mb up.

Just sayin. You have plenty of options.

I won't go into the Verizon thing/issue, but thanks for telling me about the Centurylink speed's. I know about the TWC 50/5 plan, but did not want to reward them for only giving me 1/2 to 1/5 of the speeds they clam. thanks

you must live in a god awful neighborhood, cause i get more than 50/5.... 52/5.5 consistently (On TWC) if youre a stigler for speed and performance, why are you looking into sprint LTE, its not going to outperform verizon or AT&T in the triangle for a few years.

you must live in a god awful neighborhood, cause i get more than 50/5.... 52/5.5 consistently. if youre a stigler for speed and performance, why are you looking into sprint LTE, its not going to outperform verizon or AT&T in the triangle for a few years.

I don't really need more speed than what AT&T gives, but I would like unlimited or 5GB to 10GB with out a bill in the 100+ range for one line just for data. As for Verizon I hope it out does it by a good bit.( In my testing, it's about as fast as H+ on AT&T here.) That and I like to read up on tech. I am looking for 5+ mbs at all times and unlimited use. Verizon fit's unlimited use, but even with 69dbm I get about like 3mbs. I don't know were and with what phone's you Verizon guys pull 20mbs + all the time with are, but I have not seen it for months. I am hoping sprint doing 2 5x5's will work better than Verizon's one 10x10 in the 700mhz band. In the here and now and in the long run.

Edited by 4ktvs

I don't really need more speed than what AT&T gives' date=' but I would like unlimited or 5GB to 10GB with out a bill in the 100+ range for one line just for data. As for Verizon I hope it out does it by a good bit.( In my testing, it's about as fast as H+ on AT&T here.) That and I like to read up on tech. I am looking for 5+ mbs at all times and unlimited use. Verizon fit's unlimited use, but even with 69dbm I get about like 3mbs. I don't know were and with what phone's you Verizon guys pull 20mbs + all the time with are, but I have not seen it for months. I am hoping sprint doing 2 5x5's will work better than Verizon's one 10x10 in the 700mhz band. In the here and now and in the long run.[/quote']

YOU ARE BEING THROTTLED BY VERIZON FOR ABUSE OF THE NETWORK! There is no way you would be getting 3mbps. I watched your youtube video with over 10mbps upload. Stop filling this forum with your diarrhea of the mouth or you will be banned.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

YOU ARE BEING THROTTLED BY VERIZON FOR ABUSE OF THE NETWORK! There is no way you would be getting 3mbps. I watched your youtube video with over 10mbps upload. Stop filling this forum with your diarrhea of the mouth or you will be banned.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

I was talking about Verizon phones in the aera not just mine. Any way I don't want to talk about it now, because I know I messed up really badly and I don't want to make the same mistake two times.

Edited by 4ktvs

if youre a stigler for speed and performance, why are you looking into sprint LTE, its not going to outperform verizon or AT&T in the triangle for a few years.

AT&T in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel "Research Triangle" market has only 5 MHz x 5 MHz LTE -- the same bandwidth as Sprint is deploying.

AJ

AT&T in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel "Research Triangle" market has only 5 MHz x 5 MHz LTE -- the same bandwidth as Sprint is deploying.

AJ

Until you walk into a building.

O'doyle rules!!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Until you walk into a building.

I would not rush to that judgment. In the "Research Triangle," AT&T is GSM/W-CDMA 1900 only -- again, much like Sprint.

AJ

I would not rush to that judgment. In the "Research Triangle' date='" AT&T is GSM/W-CDMA 1900 only -- again, much like Sprint.

AJ[/quote']

The research triangle you're referring to... is rtp... research triangle park... a business park in the triangle.... at&t lte is on the 700 MHz band

The research triangle you're referring to... is rtp... research triangle park... a business park in the triangle.... at&t lte is on the 700 MHz band

The "Research Triangle" is a colloquial term for Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. And, yes, AT&T LTE is deployed in its Lower 700 MHz C block 12 MHz license. I posted basically that just a few minutes ago when I stated that AT&T has only 5 MHz x 5 MHz LTE in the market. Furthermore, LTE does not exist in isolation. Absent VoLTE, LTE still must rely upon CSFB, hence GSM/W-CDMA. And that is why AT&T's PCS 1900 MHz only holdings are relevant.

Trust me, Daniel, you will not school me on spectrum matters.

AJ

• Like 2

The "Research Triangle" is a colloquial term for Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill. And' date=' yes, AT&T LTE is deployed in its Lower 700 MHz C block 12 MHz license. I posted basically that just a few minutes ago when I stated that AT&T has only 5 MHz x 5 MHz LTE in the market. Furthermore, LTE does not exist in isolation. Absent VoLTE, LTE still must rely upon CSFB, hence GSM/W-CDMA. And that is why AT&T PCS 1900 MHz only holdings are relevant.

Trust me, Daniel, you will not school me on spectrum matters.

AJ[/quote']

I'm gunna school you, son! Btw no one refers to the triangle... as the research triangle... no one. Colloquial be damned.

I'm gunna school you, son!

Get back to me after more than a decade of research and you just might do that...

;)

AJ

Well I don't understand at&t using both 1900 and 700 at the same time.. I'm not a spectrum expert but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night.

I am sure that AT&T would prefer not to be running GSM/W-CDMA 1900 and LTE 700. It would rather have GSM/W-CDMA 850 and LTE 700. But VZW -- thanks to the ALLTEL acquisition (and an incompetent W. Bush administration FCC) -- holds both Cellular 850 MHz A and B block licenses in the most populated areas of North Carolina.

That said, AT&T's PCS 1900 MHz network in the Carolinas is the old BellSouth Mobility DCS network. It dates back to 1997 and has been GSM from the beginning, so it is a mature PCS network.

AJ

A couple quick notes:

I was in Chapel Hill May 18-20. I hit speeds of 20+ mbps down and 10+ up on VZW. That said, I was using the third-gen iPad, so it's going to be able to pull in better speeds than a smartphone 99% of the time, all else equal.

As for incompetent administrations and Cellular A+B licenses, there are a number of areas in Texas where AT&T holds both A and B CLR blocks, leaving Verizon (and everyone else) with only PCS. So spectral incompetency goes both ways. The largest city example of this: San Antonio. AT&T owns 24MHz of paired 700 spectrum there in addition to 6MHz of unpaired 700 (all contiguous), 50MHz of cellular and 10MHz each of PCS and AWS. Granted, AT&T's PCS and AWS holdings are tiny, and no one in the area would be interested in swapping more PCS for the cellular block (Verizon only has 30MHz of PCS there as well, plus its upper-C 700MHz license and an A block 6x6 license). But in San Antonio Verizon has to do just as much complex cell planning (700 vs. 1900) as AT&T has to do in the Triangle area.

As an aside, AT&T Wireless in San Antonio sold a lot of PCS spectrum to what is now Leap. Okay, not a lot, but Leap has 20MHz of (non-contiguous) PCS and 10MHz of AWS in San Antonio. Definitely could be worse (though SpectrumCo and some outfit named Aloha Partners are each tying up 20MHz of AWS...definitely doesn't help things).

• 4 weeks later...

I notice that the speeds in the raleigh area have gotten really slow the last couple of weeks. I have even had a few instances where I had no 3g. I wonder if we have an early NV start.

I know "holy revival quote!" But anyway, I've noticed the same here all over Raleigh/Cary/Durham/CH. It finally got so bad I had to switch to a verizon or cricket prl (currently verizon) to get any decent speeds. I keep telling myself the network is so slow because they're working on the towers and will wow us with early lte. And I'm a pessimist!

• 4 weeks later...

I have a friend in Charlotte who is also a sprint customer stating Sprint signal is rapidly improving, he thinks it because of the DNC convention. (He's a republican, so everything is the Dems fault, except for this) LOL :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I've notice more bars near downtown but I have the same dropouts on Providence Rd esp at Wendover.. I switched to a Galaxy phone so no more WIMAX... Waiting for LTE in Charlotte.. Another thing in Charlotte is the expansion of WIFI by Time Warner... The expect the whole downtown to be a hot spot for the DNC in a couple of weeks... Also available in some areas near downtown...