Sprint LTE vs T-Mobile LTE

4GHoward

Are you looking for an LTE solution for a mobile phone/pad, or to use in a brick/mortar location?

I currently have a T-Mobile 4G HSPA+ Smartphone for personal use. I have several options. Should I switch to a Sprint 4G LTE Smartphone? Or should I wait until T-Mobile has LTE? Or should I wait even longer until Sprint has Clearwire LTE on their Smartphones?

Wish you'd have stated that all at the beginning =] You'll likely now have several, very knowledgeable, people give you info to help you make your decision =]

Wish you'd have stated that all at the beginning =] You'll likely now have several, very knowledgeable, people give you info to help you make your decision =]

I think I made things more difficult than it needs to be.

I think I made things more difficult than it needs to be.

In Houston? Sprint should have 4G up before T-Mobile and you will be able to get an unlimited data plan. In my views, who cares about 10 more mbps when you already have more than 10 anyways. And the Unlimited Data is a huge thing for people like me, if you don't use much than it's your choice.

Edited by nocturnal

In Houston? Sprint should have 4G up before T-Mobile and you will be able to get an unlimited data plan. In my views, who cares about 10 more mbps when you already have more than 10 anyways. And the Unlimited Data is a huge thing for people like me, if you don't use much than it's your choice.

Well right now, Sprint LTE is not fully covering me quite yet like WiMAX. And I am not sure if Sprint will deploy LTE faster than T-Mobile.

Well right now, Sprint LTE is not fully covering me quite yet like WiMAX. And I am not sure if Sprint will deploy LTE faster than T-Mobile.

http://s4gru.com/ind...chedule-update/ shows that Sprint will most likely get it at mid 2012. Yes it's still a TBA thing but still it seems they are more prepared than T-Mobile is currently. T-Mobile will launch next year, and yes maybe they will launch in Houston, but you most consider two things, travelling and data limits. In the end I am willing to bet 100% on Sprint deploying first to Houston before T-Mobile. T-Mobile hasn't really stated that much on launch dates or anything, they are also considering 84 HSPA+ last time I checked (not sure if they are now). Most likely they will launch both 84HSPA+/LTE at the same locations at the same time. So a good idea is to look at the original launches for HSPA+ 42 and so on.

The way Sprint has their LTE network setup, with deals from Clearwire and such I find it hard that T-Mobile a year later will catch up.

Edited by nocturnal

Since you are looking for reasons to jump to Sprint, I will give my reasons why I am leaving ATT for sprint once the Sprint LTE iPhone comes out.

1st) I am tired of dealing with the Data Dilemma. I miss the days of unlimited data, where I did not have to worry about downloading an app or listening to pandora without fear of overage charges. The more companies like apple and google push cloud services, the more data we will consume. 2GBs is fine for most people now, but I have a feeling that in a couple years it will not be true. I'd rather be on sprint where I know I will not worry if my data usage is 10Gbs or 2GBs a month.

2nd) Sprint has Sub 1Ghz spectrum. Which means in the future, I will have less spotty coverage and be less likely to lose signal when I'm in a building or on a train going through a tunnel.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/gallery/image/36-atlanta-coverage-map-before-network-vision-1900/

that is a link to a gallery that shows how coverage will change pre NV, Post NV, Post NV800 in atlanta.

Since you are looking for reasons to jump to Sprint, I will give my reasons why I am leaving ATT for sprint once the Sprint LTE iPhone comes out.

1st) I am tired of dealing with the Data Dilemma. I miss the days of unlimited data, where I did not have to worry about downloading an app or listening to pandora without fear of overage charges. The more companies like apple and google push cloud services, the more data we will consume. 2GBs is fine for most people now, but I have a feeling that in a couple years it will not be true. I'd rather be on sprint where I know I will not worry if my data usage is 10Gbs or 2GBs a month.

2nd) Sprint has Sub 1Ghz spectrum. Which means in the future, I will have less spotty coverage and be less likely to lose signal when I'm in a building or on a train going through a tunnel.

http://s4gru.com/ind...rk-vision-1900/

that is a link to a gallery that shows how coverage will change pre NV, Post NV, Post NV800 in atlanta.

That is where Clearwire comes in for speed and capacity. Is it worth waiting for smartphones that has Clearwire LTE?

That is where Clearwire comes in for speed and capacity. Is it worth waiting for smartphones that has Clearwire LTE?

By the time sprint needs more capacity, you will probably have an upgrade on your account. Clearwire's LTE speeds are going to be amazing, but I doubt it will affect the speeds of my phone much. I currently get 6-9 on my phone, and it is more than enough for Pandora or Netflix. Id rather have more solid coverage over the ability to get 30+ on my phone.

If I were going to wait, I would wait for a sprint phone that supports LTE on 800/1900. Id rather have access to faster speeds on sub 1Ghz spectrum.

By the time sprint needs more capacity, you will probably have an upgrade on your account. Clearwire's LTE speeds are going to be amazing, but I doubt it will affect the speeds of my phone much. I currently get 6-9 on my phone, and it is more than enough for Pandora or Netflix. Id rather have more solid coverage over the ability to get 30+ on my phone.

If I were going to wait, I would wait for a sprint phone that supports LTE on 800/1900. Id rather have access to faster speeds on sub 1Ghz spectrum.

The thing is that by the time Sprint has a LTE phone that supports LTE 800 and 1900, it will most likely have the Clearwire 2500 band in as well. Sprint plans to deploy 800 MHz LTE starting mid 2013 and Clearwire is suppose to have LTE by mid 2013 so the phones in 2013 must have support for BC 41. Luckily my upgrade isn't until June 2013 so its actually perfect timing to pick up a LTE phone with 800/1900/2500 LTE support.

• Like 1

Good call Eric. Devices that support LTE 800 and devices that support CLWR TD-LTE are scheduled for the same quarter. So there is a good chance they will start to come out in the same devices.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Good call Eric. Devices that support LTE 800 and devices that support CLWR TD-LTE are scheduled for the same quarter. So there is a good chance they will start to come out in the same devices.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I'm guessing that Sprint did that on purpose.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

What do you think about T-Mobile LTE? Would you ever give it a try in the future?

As my Sprint bill keeps climbing, I've been reviewing all of my possible cell phone options. TMo currently offers HSPA+ 42 here, I believe. Never had a Tmo device so I don't know what kinds of speeds that translates too.

marioc21, I haven't been in the Richmond area but in RDU with a T-Mobile aircard I was seeing 5-10 Mbps down and 2-3 Mbps up. 5Mbps only happened when I had low signal.

Definitely not a fanboy of T-Mobile's (their HSPA+ falls off to EDGE or even GPRS outside semi-major cities) but they do have a nice, speedy network where they've made upgrades.

marioc21, I haven't been in the Richmond area but in RDU with a T-Mobile aircard I was seeing 5-10 Mbps down and 2-3 Mbps up. 5Mbps only happened when I had low signal.

Definitely not a fanboy of T-Mobile's (their HSPA+ falls off to EDGE or even GPRS outside semi-major cities) but they do have a nice, speedy network where they've made upgrades.

Good to know. I'm really intrigued by the $30 month unlimited prepaid plan they offer. 100 minutes would be plenty for me, and I can deal with the throttling after 5gb.

Good to know. I'm really intrigued by the $30 month unlimited prepaid plan they offer. 100 minutes would be plenty for me, and I can deal with the throttling after 5gb.

Just make sure to grab a phone with HSPA+ built in (T-Mobile's less expensive phones tend to only do 7.2 Mbps, out of which you'll see about 5 Mbps) if you have a need for speed. This means spending $250 on a phone, but look at all the money you'll be saving on your monthly bill! :)

Just make doubly sure that coverage is where you want it to be; T-mobile hasn't inked its roaming agreement with AT&T yet (a condition of the happily ailed merger).

Just make sure to grab a phone with HSPA+ built in (T-Mobile's less expensive phones tend to only do 7.2 Mbps, out of which you'll see about 5 Mbps) if you have a need for speed. This means spending $250 on a phone, but look at all the money you'll be saving on your monthly bill! :)

Just make doubly sure that coverage is where you want it to be; T-mobile hasn't inked its roaming agreement with AT&T yet (a condition of the happily ailed merger).

I've been thinking my next phone is going to be an unlocked nexus phone. Hopefully T-mobile still offers the plan in the fall.

The thing is that by the time Sprint has a LTE phone that supports LTE 800 and 1900, it will most likely have the Clearwire 2500 band in as well. Sprint plans to deploy 800 MHz LTE starting mid 2013 and Clearwire is suppose to have LTE by mid 2013 so the phones in 2013 must have support for BC 41. Luckily my upgrade isn't until June 2013 so its actually perfect timing to pick up a LTE phone with 800/1900/2500 LTE support.

I am in the same boat. I am more than happy to wait a year to see how the LTE rollouts of the various carriers will go. I like Sprint and actually I like Clearwire as it provides some of my more rural family members internet access they would otherwise not get. My only real gripe right now is the lackluster 3g speeds and the slow refresh on the 4g antenna which causes constant toggles between 3g and 4g on the road. I am excited to see what the picture looks like in June 2013 as I would be super happy with an 800/1900/2500 LTE phone.