Network Vision/LTE - Nashville Market (including Knoxville/Chattanooga/Tri-Cities)

telefunken

How is the service in Pigeon Forge, Knoxville and surrounding areas?

Voice is great. Have noticed that some areas are slow when accessing 4G. With the tourist areas, Sprint is more reliable than other carriers, especially with all the people in the area.

• 9 months later...

Was visiting Nashville and service was kinda bad. I was missing calls that never rang on my end, callers going straight to voicemail. Any ideals as to what is going on? I'm using a iPhone 7 plus and was in the Murfreesboro and Antioch areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

I just got Sprint service and I have to say I am surprised to find that B25/26 seem to be super overloaded, Franklin is all over the board with cell performance with a few spotty areas that have speedy B41 and other parts getting less than a megabit, I only get x1 at my house but the map says I should get LTE. I have a unlocked iPhone 8. Thoughts? Are their that many Sprint users in this area? Seems like everyone I know is Verizon/AT&T I figured I would have decent enough coverage...

8 hours ago, pdubbs03 said:

I just got Sprint service and I have to say I am surprised to find that B25/26 seem to be super overloaded, Franklin is all over the board with cell performance with a few spotty areas that have speedy B41 and other parts getting less than a megabit, I only get x1 at my house but the map says I should get LTE. I have a unlocked iPhone 8. Thoughts? Are their that many Sprint users in this area? Seems like everyone I know is Verizon/AT&T I figured I would have decent enough coverage...

It depends on where you are around the Nashville area.  I see Franklin listed as your location.  HWY 96 is hit or miss with the topography.  Next to I-65, it is pretty good.  The mall slows things down quite a bit.  If you are on the west side, well... I would check the maps that are on the site to see where the nearest tower is to your location.

I had issues with topography in Mt. Juliet due my home being on the slope of a large hill.  I have two 25/26/41 towers within a mile from my home.  Check to see if you qualify for a magic box.  It helped in my case.

12 hours ago, Steve Dean said:

It depends on where you are around the Nashville area.  I see Franklin listed as your location.  HWY 96 is hit or miss with the topography.  Next to I-65, it is pretty good.  The mall slows things down quite a bit.  If you are on the west side, well... I would check the maps that are on the site to see where the nearest tower is to your location.

I had issues with topography in Mt. Juliet due my home being on the slope of a large hill.  I have two 25/26/41 towers within a mile from my home.  Check to see if you qualify for a magic box.  It helped in my case.

Highway 96 @ I-65 & McEwen @ I-65 had B41 and plenty of bandwidth. It was as I went around the mall and on Carothers up to Moores Lane, I only noticed their wasn't bandwidth because I tried sending an email that error-ed out twice but ultimately sent the 3rd time. I will have to see how Brentwood and north is. I am likely moving that direction. I never really go to Murfreesboro (and once I change my job EoY I def don't need to worry about Spring Hill/Columbia). Is B41 deployed extensively in Nashville yet? I know we got it slow because the huge Clearwire deployment we had.

*edited for grammar fixes

On 10/20/2017 at 8:26 PM, pdubbs03 said:

Highway 96 @ I-65 & McEwen @ I-65 had B41 and plenty of bandwidth. It was as I went around the mall and on Carothers up to Moores Lane, I only noticed their wasn't bandwidth because I tried sending an email that error-ed out twice but ultimately sent the 3rd time. I will have to see how Brentwood and north is. I am likely moving that direction. I never really go to Murfreesboro (and once I change my job EoY I def don't need to worry about Spring Hill/Columbia). Is B41 deployed extensively in Nashville yet? I know we got it slow because the huge Clearwire deployment we had.

*edited for grammar fixes

Most places where there are large congregations of people, it is a challenge for the network.  If you tired over the weekend, it would be even worse. 

B41 has been deployed but not sure on 3CA (still on a 6S+).    Some areas are much slower due to the population density.  Downtown Nashville can very slow due to the growth, addition of new high rise buildings and events.  I ran a speedtest in my office this morning and it was ok.  On B41, 10.7dn, .78 up.

Just now, Steve Dean said:

Most places where there are large congregations of people, it is a challenge for the network.  If you tired over the weekend, it would be even worse. 

B41 has been deployed but not sure on 3CA (still on a 6S+).    Some areas are much slower due to the population density.  Downtown Nashville can very slow due to the growth, addition of new high rise buildings and events.  I ran a speedtest in my office this morning and it was ok.  On B41, 10.7dn, .78 up.

Gotcha, it was a Wednesday at like ~11 am. I have a iPhone 8 I am not sure how much CA it can do but I assume its decent enough to get good reception. I know on T-Mobile the unlocked iPhone 8 is WAY better than the SE I had. I wonder who is using all the bandwidth in Franklin, it seems like most people I know are on Verizon (which has gotten terribly slow in Cool Springs according to several friends). I definitely don't know what T-Mobile is doing but damn they must have some huge fiber connections at their cell sites. I generally get over 30mbps and have seen a lot of 50Mbps+ lately in parts of Nashville.

• 1 year later...

Anybody getting T-Mobile roaming in the Nashville area? My wife works near downtown Franklin and at her building she gets really poor speeds on Sprint, but T-Mobile is fantastic there - in fact, we'll either be moving her to T-Mo or Verizon if something doesn't change. She's on an iPhone 6S but we were going to move her to an iPhone 7. However, I'm seeing that the iPhone 8 and up are the only ones supporting VoLTE right now, and I don't know how that affects roaming. 

1 hour ago, Flompholph said:

I didn't notice any roaming but I did notice a VoLTE icon. Anyone else notice it in the top right one newer phones? 

I will look at my logs latter this week and let you know about roaming.

S8/S8+ only ones with that active right now.

On 11/3/2018 at 12:02 PM, Shade00 said:

Anybody getting T-Mobile roaming in the Nashville area? 

Just to let you know where I roamed on 310260 which I think is Tmobile was outside the market. To the south was just on the other side of the AL boarder and to the north was a good hour in to KY around mile marker 68.

8 hours ago, Flompholph said:

Just to let you know where I roamed on 310260 which I think is Tmobile was outside the market. To the south was just on the other side of the AL boarder and to the north was a good hour in to KY around mile marker 68.

Thank you! I wonder if that means that they haven't enabled T-Mobile roaming here yet.

• 9 months later...

Seems like a nice sized massive mimo deployment is going on in Chattanooga.  Every time I get out in town I spot a new 5G MM antenna.  

Performance is awesome.  First time in this city I have gotten over 100Mbps.  Actually on the 8T8R gear I have really only seen 60Mbps peak. Figured backhaul on these sites was limited.  These new antennas, I ran just two tests and peaked at 140Mbps.  

Metro city is ranked 100, City is ranked 144 in pop size. If this city is getting 5G stuff, I can only imagine the rest.  This deployment makes me kinda oppose the merger a bit.

Edited by red_dog007
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Fair warning to anyone traveling to the Pigeon Forge/Sevierville area in the near term....was through there twice in our down-and-back trip between Christmas and New Years last week to southern TN to visit with my mom/brother.  There's something going on on the main strip through south SVille & PF with data connectivity.  Signal is fine/strong, and calls or texts would go through fine, but data was completely dead.  I know what happened in Nashville obviously but I thought that was affecting AT&T service and causing issues there for those users.  Gatlinburg comparatively seemed fine on all fronts when we were there, as did Townsend area.

On 1/4/2021 at 8:24 PM, PythonFanPA said:

Fair warning to anyone traveling to the Pigeon Forge/Sevierville area in the near term....was through there twice in our down-and-back trip between Christmas and New Years last week to southern TN to visit with my mom/brother.  There's something going on on the main strip through south SVille & PF with data connectivity.  Signal is fine/strong, and calls or texts would go through fine, but data was completely dead.  I know what happened in Nashville obviously but I thought that was affecting AT&T service and causing issues there for those users.  Gatlinburg comparatively seemed fine on all fronts when we were there, as did Townsend area.

Strange, I was just down there a couple weeks before Christmas and had no issues. Found quite a bit of N71 & N41 too. 

16 hours ago, mdob07 said:

Strange, I was just down there a couple weeks before Christmas and had no issues. Found quite a bit of N71 & N41 too. 

Once you went more north into Sevierville proper it normalized....it was main stretch though from maybe roughly around Tanger/NASCAR Park region through the bulk of the Parkway strip south, and again, it was strictly a data-only issue.  Was just completely dead while stationary in that area at 2 different restaurants on two different bookend occasions (26th and again on the 30th).