Samsung / Sprint Launch event in Boston tonight

mercado79

I know it's very last minute, but... I'll be heading to the event downtown in about an hour. Any questions you guys want answered? Don't hold me to it, but I'll see if I can get some answered.

So far, I have the following (some from the XDA Spring SGS3 thread):

1. Will the Sprint variant will include a Wolfson WM1811 DAC like the international version does.
  2. Will Sprint be including a micro-SD card along with the device?
  3. Will the Sprint variant be “world phone” ready?
  4. Is simultaneous voice & data supported?

I'm pretty sure 3 & 4 have already been answered here (no for 3, yes for 4), but I'll ask again just in case.

I know it's very last minute, but... I'll be heading to the event downtown in about an hour. Any questions you guys want answered? Don't hold me to it, but I'll see if I can get some answered.

1. Will the Sprint variant will include a Wolfson WM1811 DAC like the international version does.

I'm pretty sure 3 & 4 have already been answered here (no for 3, yes for 4), but I'll ask again just in case.

Thanks for checking on these.

Put the phone in debug mode right next to an EVO LTE and compare the signal numbers.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Any early updates from the event?

Put the phone in debug mode right next to an EVO LTE and compare the signal numbers.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Sorry, wasn't sure how to do this and don't have an EVO LTE.

Any early updates from the event?

I updated the document above. Got some answers for you. I'll write more once I'm home.

Sent from my Nexus S

I went to the event tonight only makes me want to see that tracking number even faster. Love the phone glad I didn't buy the EVO.

Can I add pics and or video from my phone to this post?

• Like 2

I went to the event tonight only makes me want to see that tracking number even faster. Love the phone glad I didn't buy the EVO.

Can I add pics and or video from my phone to this post?

upload to youtube and link!

Quick disclaimer this is my first video of a phone so I really didnt know what to look at or do. Amateur video lol

One thing I did notice is I was trying to find an option to turn on 4g and I could not find it. It wasnt in the drop down menu or settings.

• Like 3

LOVE the scrolling widget bar in the pull down menu. Camera seems VERY quick too.

One thing I did notice is I was trying to find an option to turn on 4g and I could not find it. It wasnt in the drop down menu or settings.

You won't find it like the WiMax 4G, its a phone setting, not a toggle. If you have 4G on, it will automatically connect when LTE signal is available and disconnect when LTE signal is not available.

I was at the event tonight as well. I have to say, it was a nicely done event. Got a lot of hands on time with the device. They did not have any blue on the floor, and one of the samsung peronnel confirmed that there is a shortage with the blue right now.

As far as turning on 4G, in settings there is a option for you to pick either CDMA or CDMA/LTE. I wanted to try it, but it asked for a reboot, and theh rep was right next to me, so I was not able to. I am hoping that Boston will get LTE soon. Something must be happening within Boston, because speedtest in downtown, south end area is horrible, I am hoping that this means a work is in progress.

I was at the event tonight as well. I have to say, it was a nicely done event. Got a lot of hands on time with the device. They did not have any blue on the floor, and one of the samsung peronnel confirmed that there is a shortage with the blue right now.

As far as turning on 4G, in settings there is a option for you to pick either CDMA or CDMA/LTE. I wanted to try it, but it asked for a reboot, and theh rep was right next to me, so I was not able to. I am hoping that Boston will get LTE soon. Something must be happening within Boston, because speedtest in downtown, south end area is horrible, I am hoping that this means a work is in progress.

That area of downtown boston is very slow - not sure why. Other non-network vision areas in downtown boston are BLAZING fast.

Really seems to be hit/miss - sounds like they upgraded a fair amount from T-1's to AVV but not all. Lots of areas in downtown boston you can hit over 2mbit while others seem to struggle (especially during peak times) to hit over 150kb/sec. Sadly, the area you were in tends to be the slowest.

sort of disappointing that it doesn't support HD voice.

Same qualcomm SoC... why no HD voice?

I wouldn't know how much better HD voice is, because I dont have an EVO LTE. But for last 13 years, I've actually never had any issue with voice quality on sprint devices/network. I use verizon for work, and their devices/network needs help. they sound muffled, distant, etc.

my average speed test is 300-500, with best being ~650 in boston. I would be happy with 1Mbps +

Edited by hyun1120
  • Like 2

I wouldn't know how much better HD voice is, because I dont have an EVO LTE. But for last 13 years, I've actually never had any issue with voice quality on sprint devices/network. I use verizon for work, and their devices/network needs help. they sound muffled, distant, etc.

I am never one to shy away from better.

I have always been happy with sprint voice quality... but that's like my co-worker at work saying "I've been using DVD's and they look great, why HD movies?"

You never know what you are missing until you have it :)

I don't really talk much on the phone, but when I do... I want to hear them as best as I can.

• Like 1

I did a speed test in the building at 7 tonight connected to WiMax and I got 2194 kbps down and 220 kbps up.

I did ask when is launch day and the Samsung person told me that she could not tell me even though she knew.

Created a Google Doc (and will check it while I'm at the event in case anyone adds a question):

https://docs.google....PEpejU7Duc/edit

Feel free to add/edit the list

Well an anonymous user has deleted the bulk of the first question. in real time (I can almost here the 24 clock countdown)

fixed to the best of my recollection

Edited by JohnHovah
  • Like 1

Well guys, here's my recap of tonight's event:

Long story, short. I’m sold. Very glad I pre-ordered.

Positive impressions:

Appearance

The phone feels great in the hand. Yes, it is made of plastic, but it doesn’t feel cheap or creaky. White looked great. Unfortunately, there were no blue versions available at all…and there were dozens of GS3’s in the room. A couple of reps I spoke to said they were planning to buy the blue for themselves. That textured/grain looked great in the demo videos and press materials found throughout the venue. Large phone. Very large screen. But it is extremely comfortable to hold and navigate. I have zero reservations about the size and I do not have large hands either.

Display

Speaking of the screen, it looks beautiful. Especially in dimly lit room tonight. I didn’t think the colors looked garishly oversaturated. Blacks look as great as we’ve come to expect from Samsung phones. I know that many people have complained about sub-pixels and screen quality, but to my untrained eyes, Super AMOLED HD was stunning.

Button Layout

The fact that the power button is on the right side makes way more sense on these big phones than having it located at the top of the phone (like the HTC One X or Evo). Very easy to activate.

Camera

Burst shot (8 to 20 photos) and best shot worked well. Face tracking was quick too. Taking pictures while recording a video is also a nice plus. Pinch to zoom or use the volume rocker. Front facing camera quality was much improved over my OG Evo and Nexus S.

Software

Using S Beam (Samsung’s customized NFC & Wifi Direct implementation) worked as expected. Files, including videos and photos, transferred surprisingly quickly. Just make sure that the phone is unlocked first. One rep mentioned that this will work with other NFC enabled phones, such as the Galaxy Nexus, but I’m skeptical.

Their demo of screen sharing / collaboration was kind of neat, though they only used an image as an example. Basically, one SGS3 had an image on its screen and a bunch of other phones were set up with access to it. You could write on the image, highlight words, etc. Apparently this will work with other types of files such as Word docs.

Accessories

The accessories they demoed looked great. That includes the media link stuff (picture quality on the displays was surprisingly good) and the cases. As you may have seen elsewhere, Samsung is selling a flip cover case. I may just pick one up. Hard cover over the screen without the bulk. We’ll see.

Negative Impressions:

Button Layout

The two capacitive keys are reversed in my opinion. Back is on the right and menu is on the left.

Software

Siri… I mean S-Voice, got in the way of a couple demos I saw, but I think that was user error more than anything. The rep got stuck on a menu and kept double tapping the menu button instead of hitting back or tapping the home button once.

Call Quality

The rep I asked about HD voice tried to work some marketing mumbo jumbo on me. It went something like this, “The Evo’s HD voice is a gimmick. It’s an unproven technology. Requires network upgrades that aren’t even available. Even the term, HD, is inaccurate. Samsung will be sure to look into it at a later date, but for now, it’s not something to be concerned about.” He asked me what I’d even need something like that for? Have I ever had issues with voice quality on a modern smart phone? To which I responded, “Yes, nearly every windy day when I’m walking outside or if I’m out at a bar and there’s loud music playing.” I told him that was the way HTC and Sprint had demoed HD voice in NYC. At that point he took out a notepad and jotted some of my words down. If HD voice comes out on the SGS4…you’ll know who to thank! :P

Miscellaneous

Lastly, and unrelated to the phone, prizes were given out at the end of the night based on points you collected from the various reps at different stations (S Beam, Burst shot, NFC “memory” game, etc.) as well as contests. It was kind of a rat race and stopped being fun after I noticed people cheating. I’m sorry, but if you’re a cute girl and just walk around asking reps for points and DO NOTHING FOR IT, that’s a little ridiculous. Or, if you’re in a group of people and decide to pool your points (have only one person in your group collect the points for everyone)…shady! Or if you cheat at musical chairs (yes, I’m talking about you man) by physically pushing people out of the way and blocking one chair at all times…that’s wrong. Yes…I’m hating the player, not hating the game.

On the other hand, girl that won the dance off, you deserved it. Way to shake what your mama gave you. Oh, and way to bring back the running man. You nailed it.

• Like 4

Well an anonymous user has deleted the bulk of the first question. in real time (I can almost here the 24 clock countdown)

fixed to the best of my recollection

Thanks man. I just logged on and reverted to an earlier version. I've also removed editing capabilities since the event's over.

Well guys, here's my recap of tonight's event:

Long story, short. I’m sold. Very glad I pre-ordered.

Positive impressions:

Appearance

The phone feels great in the hand. Yes, it is made of plastic, but it doesn’t feel cheap or creaky. White looked great. Unfortunately, there were no blue versions available at all…and there were dozens of GS3’s in the room. A couple of reps I spoke to said they were planning to buy the blue for themselves. That textured/grain looked great in the demo videos and press materials found throughout the venue. Large phone. Very large screen. But it is extremely comfortable to hold and navigate. I have zero reservations about the size and I do not have large hands either.

Display

Speaking of the screen, it looks beautiful. Especially in dimly lit room tonight. I didn’t think the colors looked garishly oversaturated. Blacks look as great as we’ve come to expect from Samsung phones. I know that many people have complained about sub-pixels and screen quality, but to my untrained eyes, Super AMOLED HD was stunning.

Button Layout

The fact that the power button is on the right side makes way more sense on these big phones than having it located at the top of the phone (like the HTC One X or Evo). Very easy to activate.

Camera

Burst shot (8 to 20 photos) and best shot worked well. Face tracking was quick too. Taking pictures while recording a video is also a nice plus. Pinch to zoom or use the volume rocker. Front facing camera quality was much improved over my OG Evo and Nexus S.

Software

Using S Beam (Samsung’s customized NFC & Wifi Direct implementation) worked as expected. Files, including videos and photos, transferred surprisingly quickly. Just make sure that the phone is unlocked first. One rep mentioned that this will work with other NFC enabled phones, such as the Galaxy Nexus, but I’m skeptical.

Their demo of screen sharing / collaboration was kind of neat, though they only used an image as an example. Basically, one SGS3 had an image on its screen and a bunch of other phones were set up with access to it. You could write on the image, highlight words, etc. Apparently this will work with other types of files such as Word docs.

Accessories

The accessories they demoed looked great. That includes the media link stuff (picture quality on the displays was surprisingly good) and the cases. As you may have seen elsewhere, Samsung is selling a flip cover case. I may just pick one up. Hard cover over the screen without the bulk. We’ll see.

Negative Impressions:

Button Layout

The two capacitive keys are reversed in my opinion. Back is on the right and menu is on the left.

Software

Siri… I mean S-Voice, got in the way of a couple demos I saw, but I think that was user error more than anything. The rep got stuck on a menu and kept double tapping the menu button instead of hitting back or tapping the home button once.

Call Quality

The rep I asked about HD voice tried to work some marketing mumbo jumbo on me. It went something like this, “The Evo’s HD voice is a gimmick. It’s an unproven technology. Requires network upgrades that aren’t even available. Even the term, HD, is inaccurate. Samsung will be sure to look into it at a later date, but for now, it’s not something to be concerned about.” He asked me what I’d even need something like that for? Have I ever had issues with voice quality on a modern smart phone? To which I responded, “Yes, nearly every windy day when I’m walking outside or if I’m out at a bar and there’s loud music playing.” I told him that was the way HTC and Sprint had demoed HD voice in NYC. At that point he took out a notepad and jotted some of my words down. If HD voice comes out on the SGS4…you’ll know who to thank!

Miscellaneous

Lastly, and unrelated to the phone, prizes were given out at the end of the night based on points you collected from the various reps at different stations (S Beam, Burst shot, NFC “memory” game, etc.) as well as contests. It was kind of a rat race and stopped being fun after I noticed people cheating. I’m sorry, but if you’re a cute girl and just walk around asking reps for points and DO NOTHING FOR IT, that’s a little ridiculous. Or, if you’re in a group of people and decide to pool your points (have only one person in your group collect the points for everyone)…shady! Or if you cheat at musical chairs (yes, I’m talking about you man) by physically pushing people out of the way and blocking one chair at all times…that’s wrong. Yes…I’m hating the player, not hating the game.

On the other hand, girl that won the dance off, you deserved it. Way to shake what your mama gave you. Oh, and way to bring back the running man. You nailed it.

Thanks for all the info, looking at this to be the next phone.

Sent from my Evo 3D using Tapatalk

I just use wimax on my 3d in Boston I couldn’t even think about using only 3g there. Two evo's (OG& 3D) later and countless reassurances on 4g in my area I’m still stuck on 3g when I’m home (south of Boston). and that’s why I will not upgrade until I hear that a majority of mass. Has LTE. I remember the days when I use to be able to watch YouTube on my Tp's (1&2) with hardly any buffering... the good ole dayz...

I just use wimax on my 3d in Boston I couldn’t even think about using only 3g there. Two evo's (OG& 3D) later and countless reassurances on 4g in my area I’m still stuck on 3g when I’m home (south of Boston). and that’s why I will not upgrade until I hear that a majority of mass. Has LTE. I remember the days when I use to be able to watch YouTube on my Tp's (1&2) with hardly any buffering... the good ole dayz...

People who rely on WiMax should not upgrade until LTE is available in their area. Good call.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

The rep I asked about HD voice tried to work some marketing mumbo jumbo on me. It went something like this, “The Evo’s HD voice is a gimmick. It’s an unproven technology. Requires network upgrades that aren’t even available. Even the term, HD, is inaccurate. Samsung will be sure to look into it at a later date, but for now, it’s not something to be concerned about.”

Or if you cheat at musical chairs (yes, I’m talking about you man) by physically pushing people out of the way and blocking one chair at all times…that’s wrong. Yes…I’m hating the player, not hating the game.

This is kind of expected reponse from people at this event. Come on, its a Samsung/Sprint event, and you were talking to Samsung rep. Of course they will try to talk-down on compeitor's features. Just like what HTC is trying to do with training their employees how One series are bettter than Galaxy S3.

As far as the games/points go. Musical chair was flat out stupid, at one point, a person fell off the chair because "the guy" decided that he could throw him off and take the chair. I think they did a good job of calling it a tie.

To add to the review:

I really liked TecTiles. A little chipped sticker you could put on anywhere you want and program it to tasks you program to it. For example, you can program a tile to turn on bluetooth, and turn on the car-mode when the phone recognizes that tile, and you can place the sticker/tile on your car dock. now whenever you put your phone on the dock, it will turn on bluetooth and car-mode.

This is just one example, you can do a lot more with this thing, setup alarm, send text, etc.

As I have said in the previous post, this was a well planned event.

Just to add, the rep told me they were doing 4 events in boston. They did two yesterday, one before 6-8, for internal people(im guessing sprint people), and they are having two more today, but of course for VIP, non-public event.