Report Your LTE Connection Here

Here is my list of LTE towers in my area that I am picking up on...

SID:4120 NID:3 BSID:3074-

SID:4120 NID:3 BSID:3073-

SID:4120 NID:3 BSID:15346-

SID:4120 NID:5 BSID:9746-

SID:4120 NID:5 BSID:10627-

SID:4120 NID:3 BSID:12403-

SID:4120 NID:3 BSID:2179

SID:4120 NID:5 BSID:10146

Now I was getting the best lte speeds in Allen, Tx at the premium outlets but I don't have a record of it. This is very strange cause I was getting the best speeds there of about 18mbps down. I am working to get the coverage map made using Sensorly in the market so as soon as he updates to include Sprint's LTE I will post the map here for the sponsers to compare to their exclusive maps.

post-3358-0-90856700-1343263784_thumb.png

post-3358-0-19610700-1343263835_thumb.png

post-3358-0-14317200-1343263929_thumb.png

Here is my list of LTE towers in my area that I am picking up on...

SID:4120 NID:3 BSID:3074-

SID:4120 NID:3 BSID:3073-

SID:4120 NID:3 BSID:15346-

SID:4120 NID:5 BSID:9746-

SID:4120 NID:5 BSID:10627-

SID:4120 NID:3 BSID:12403-

SID:4120 NID:3 BSID:2179

SID:4120 NID:5 BSID:10146

Those are CDMA base station IDs. They may or may not be colocated on towers with functioning LTE.

Those are CDMA base station IDs. They may or may not be colocated on towers with functioning LTE.

The BSIDs come from the LTE Record screen hidden inside the EVO LTE. They do indicate sites with live but not necessarily accessible LTE.

AJ

The BSIDs come from the LTE Record screen hidden inside the EVO LTE. They do indicate sites with live but not necessarily accessible LTE.

AJ

I thought that SID, NID and BSID are CDMA IDs, not IDs defined for LTE. (I even thought I read you saying something like that.) Are these IDs found in the LTE standard? Would an LTE-capable GSM device capture these IDs, too?

I thought that SID, NID and BSID are CDMA IDs, not IDs defined for LTE.

No, they are not defined for LTE specific networks. But they may be defined for CDMA2000/LTE hybrid networks. Regardless, the EVO LTE certainly populates its LTE Record screen with SIDs, NIDs, and BSIDs.

AJ

No, they are not defined for LTE specific networks. But they may be defined for CDMA2000/LTE hybrid networks. Regardless, the EVO LTE certainly populates its LTE Record screen with SIDs, NIDs, and BSIDs.

AJ

I wonder what happens on AT&T LTE phones.

Since the Android API provides no LTE-specific information beyond signal strength metrics, and no LTE location or IDs at all, whatever the OEMs do under the hood is sort of a mystery. Does HTC document this "LTE Record" screen at all? I wonder if HTC is just displaying the only data that Android happens to make available from the CDMA location API. There also is a GSM location API that provides the various cell IDs, etc., defined for GSM. But there is no LTE location API defined for Android yet.

EDIT: One thing that make me suspicious that the HTC ECO is not doing anyreally deep under-the-covers OEM magic with its "LTE Record" screen is this: All that SID/NID/BSID data is also reported by Netmonitor, which is just an unrooted app using the vanilla Android APIs. And that data just comes from the CDMA location API.

I have looked for some LTE documentation that would explain in the abstract what system of IDs it even uses. Gotta believe there is some unique ID somewhere. Can you point so some document that explains that, or how hybrid networks ID their sites?

All the listings I put up were live and accessible. What I would like to know is how I was getting the strongest signal in one location but the lte record didn't populate the tower data. Is it possible that those were not hybrid stations and that's why there was no record?

AJ

Sent via LTE from my Evo LTE s-offed by an overweight panda.

Sorry I have not been on here updating this, in the middle of buying a house and now have some major family issues, I will try to get caught back up.

All the listings I put up were live and accessible. What I would like to know is how I was getting the strongest signal in one location but the lte record didn't populate the tower data. Is it possible that those were not hybrid stations and that's why there was no record?

I am still not convinced that the EVO's so-called "LTE Record" screen lists anything except CDMA base stations that the device logged during the time you had an LTE connection, which may or may not have come from the same physical towers.

As for the location of the tower, you apparently are relying on the Netmonitor map screen, which does not necessarily show actual tower locations. Netmonitor is definitely mapping the lat/lon coordinates transmitted by the CDMA sector base stations, and the coordinates for each sector BSID might be offset some distance away from the tower site. It is apparent from your Netmonitor map that phenomenon is occurring here. For example, the points mapped by Netmonitor and labeled 03073 and 03074 are obviously two sectors on a tower that is actually not at either plotted location. (Most likely there is a third sector named either 03072 or 03075, which you did not happen to encounter from your location. The actual tower would be found somewhere within the triangle formed by those three points. If you were an S4GRU sponsor, you would have access to maps showing the actual locations of all the towers, so you could deduce and pinpoint where the actual tower is within that triangle.)

So I suggest that from the evidence you captured, you know that you got an LTE connection from one or more towers. But you cannot know where. There is no app known that can directly map LTE towers.

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight. I'm a noob when it comes to this mobile data stuff. I caught on to the record not reporting lte towers when I turn it to lte only and saw that the app(s) can't determine a location. I gathered everything I had and posted it here so you guys can help decipher what it means. I hope to hide some money from my wife to help fund this great site. This site alone makes Sprint, imo, the best carrier because of the wealth of info found here. I am eager to see these accurate tower maps. I see towers EVERYWHERE here in Dallas but like you said the info these apps have can be highly inaccurate.

Thanks the help and being a sponsor to keep this snowball rolling :)

I am still not convinced that the EVO's so-called "LTE Record" screen lists anything except CDMA base stations that the device logged during the time you had an LTE connection, which may or may not have come from the same physical towers.

As for the location of the tower, you apparently are relying on the Netmonitor map screen, which does not necessarily show actual tower locations. Netmonitor is definitely mapping the lat/lon coordinates transmitted by the CDMA sector base stations, and the coordinates for each sector BSID might be offset some distance away from the tower site. It is apparent from your Netmonitor map that phenomenon is occurring here. For example, the points mapped by Netmonitor and labeled 03073 and 03074 are obviously two sectors on a tower that is actually not at either plotted location. (Most likely there is a third sector named either 03072 or 03075, which you did not happen to encounter from your location. The actual tower would be found somewhere within the triangle formed by those three points. If you were an S4GRU sponsor, you would have access to maps showing the actual locations of all the towers, so you could deduce and pinpoint where the actual tower is within that triangle.)

So I suggest that from the evidence you captured, you know that you got an LTE connection from one or more towers. But you cannot know where. There is no app known that can directly map LTE towers.

Sent via LTE from my Evo LTE s-offed by an overweight panda.

• Like 1

I was shocked to find a live LTE connection in the South Bay Market this evening (Cupertino, CA) since the first sites aren't expected until November.

It was very sporadic and seemed to constantly flip between 3G & 4G. Most of my speed tests started on 4G, then finished on 3G though I did manage to get one start to finish on LTE. 3G speeds were also MUCH faster (normally 300-500kbps up/down, was getting around 1.6Mbps down/600kbps up.)

Hopefully this is a sign that the South Bay market will be completed sooner than expected :)

Screenshot_2012-07-29-19-07-49.png

Screenshot_2012-07-29-19-53-28.png

I was shocked to find a live LTE connection in the South Bay Market this evening (Cupertino' date=' CA) since the first sites aren't expected until November.

It was very sporadic and seemed to constantly flip between 3G & 4G. Most of my speed tests started on 4G, then finished on 3G though I did manage to get one start to finish on LTE. 3G speeds were also MUCH faster (normally 300-500kbps up/down, was getting around 1.6Mbps down/600kbps up.)

Hopefully this is a sign that the South Bay market will be completed sooner than expected :)

[/quote']

Were you near an Apple building? Apple has Sprint LTE DAS in most of their buildings.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Were you near an Apple building? Apple has Sprint LTE DAS in most of their buildings.

just out of curiosity, why would Apple have Sprint LTE at their facilities if there are currently no Apple devices that support Sprint LTE?

just out of curiosity' date=' why would Apple have Sprint LTE at their facilities if there are currently no Apple devices that support Sprint LTE?[/quote']

Do you really need to ask that question???

;)

• Like 1

just out of curiosity, why would Apple have Sprint LTE at their facilities if there are currently no Apple devices that support Sprint LTE?

Testing. Apple holds its cards close to its vest, hence does most/all new device testing in house.

AJ

• Like 1

Interesting, I didn't think about a DAS. I guess it was about a mile from their campus. Would a DAS travel that far? I know it isn't an accurate measurement but I had three or four bars the entire time on both 3/4G

Thanks!

I was able to stay connected to one site this saturday. I cannot connect anywhere else around Kansas City's northland even though it shows LTE all over the place. Decent speeds.

219450247.png

I was shocked to find a live LTE connection in the South Bay Market this evening (Cupertino, CA) since the first sites aren't expected until November.

post-3513-0-55302900-1343619604_thumb.png

post-3513-0-56074600-1343619605_thumb.png

looks like network vision is picking up steam

Interesting, I didn't think about a DAS. I guess it was about a mile from their campus. Would a DAS travel that far? I know it isn't an accurate measurement but I had three or four bars the entire time on both 3/4G

Thanks!

I doubt he was a DAS

I doubt he was a DAS

I've received a PM from an Apple employee who said they have DAS in the buildings and rooftop panels for the grounds and parking for all the supported carriers.

Robert

I doubt he was a DAS

Is there anyway to tell? I'd be happy to make a return trip to check it out (my newb self didn't really know what to do outside of a speed test.) This all took place inside of a TJMaxx store...

Thanks

Edited by evilluc