Report Your LTE Connection Here

Okay I just order a SG2 with my concerns on the 4g lte in Chicago. I am in the near west burbs. I was wondering as it will be arriving tomorrow would it be in my best interest to send it back and pick one of the LTE phones. I would rather have some good Wimax speeds than non existent LTE. Also this will be my first smart phone so I am not sure. I just never got one because I was fine with no internet on the phone but I decided to upgrade and switch to sprint. Thank you for the help.

I have never had internet on a phone so I don't know if I would notice a difference I just don't want to get stuck on 3g with what I have read is pretty horrible atleast with Wimax the upload and download speeds are pretty bareable. I'm kind of torn as I know that rolling it out does not always mean it will be flaws and work like it should. And may have some big glitches for a while. I just don't know what is a bigger gamble slower speeds but reliable or fast speeds and a chance of unreliability for who knows how long.

I forgot to mention the information would be useful for the area of Riverside' date='Berwyn,Cicero,Forest Park, Oak Park area that is where I am and where I will most use it. Along with like the Alsip south side Chicago burbs and a bit further west. Hopefully I get a response soon as the SG2 arrives tomorrow and need to ship it back for the SG3 or EVO. I have been seeing positive reports just a little nervous....Thank You![/quote']

WiMax coverage will only be better than LTE for 2 months of your 24 month contract. Also, LTE devices have significantly better battery life, faster speeds, newer hardware with the latest software updates, better building penetration, can hand off back and forth with 3G and will have more solid signals.

Even if your market was just about to start Network Vision/LTE deployment, I would recommend getting a LTE device over a WiMax one. But given how far along the Chicago market is and how rapid the deployment is there, it is definitely a no-brainer to go with the LTE device. You will regret it soon if you don't.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 3

I just noticed that there is a stray LTE signal on the Sensorly map for Centennial, CO south of Denver. Any 4G users in Denver?

Its already been talked about. The theory is that it is a small site located at a sprint office. Not part of NV deployment.

I've found quite a few sites in Plano that have been broadcasting LTE for the last few weeks. If I get some free time this weekend, I'll try and track down the specific ones.

Sites not on the sponsor map have technically not been officially accepted by Sprint, correct? If so, is it normal that they'd continue broadcasting the open signal for so long? Or is that because I'm in a "launched" market up in DFW?

Another Chicago 4G Update

I was in Riverwoods Il, at Milwaukee Ave and Deerfield Road yesterday morning (Oct 1) and got a 4G LTE signal. The 1X showed full bars, so I went into Debug and got the RSPS reading, which was -112. I did a quick speed test and here are the results:

Download = 4434kbps

Upload = 819 kbps

Ping = 60ms

I didn't have to do any of the airplane mode, it just went into 4G and stayed there. For that bad a signal, 4.4mpbs isn't bad for download. Hope they do something closer to home soon. Isn't Sprint supposed to announce that Chicago is Live on 4G sometime this month?

I'm from the Boston area and when I heard LTE was in Boston I began my search for it and finally found a spot around where I live. I don't know how long its been in the Somerville area but the results were amazing take a peek. Screen shot taken with my htc evo 4g LTE

Also live in Davis square

4G on the Westford, MA and Littleton, MA border. I'm guessing the LTE tower is farther away from the one I'm connected to for 3G and Voice because the signal strength I'm getting right now is about 110+ dBm for LTE and 81 dBm for eHRPD.

4G on the Westford' date=' MA and Littleton, MA border. I'm guessing the LTE tower is farther away from the one I'm connected to for 3G and Voice because the signal strength I'm getting right now is about 110+ dBm for LTE and 81 dBm for eHRPD.[/quote']

Note that 1x, EVDO and eHRPD are measured in RSSI and LTE is measured in RSRP. -81dBm RSSI is roughly equivalent to -106dBm RSRP. That's close enough to -110 that they could be from the same site. Because different technologies can vary that much on the same device. I often see EVDO and 1x vary 4-5dBm on the same device from the same site. So I'm sure 1x and LTE can vary that much too.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

LTE at home in San Carlos' date=' CA! So exciting![/quote']

Log it on Sensorly please using the Sensorly app. Exciting news. Thanks for sharing. California will start lighting up soon!

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Log it on Sensorly please using the Sensorly app. Exciting news. Thanks for sharing. California will start lighting up soon!

There's a small blip on the Sensorly map now! I had it running during my morning commute, but it switched to 3G as soon as I walked to the other end of the house. I'm running CM10 Nightlies, and it doesn't seem to switch back and forth between EVDO/LTE very well.

Chicago: Have had several 4G sightings in the NW suburbs. On Wednesday I got 4G in downtown Mount Prospect. Signal was not overly strong but got 5MB Download on Speedtest. Just got another reading in Wheeling just south of the RAM restaurant (Milwaukee and Lake Cook Road) at 1:00 this afternoon. Good to see them popping up, and also good to see my SG3 picking up the 4G signal without going through all that airplane mode crap.

Chicago is starting to light up!!

By the way, I have an Airave at home. I understand that is only good for 3G, so if I start getting 4G signals near my home I assume I would need to turn it off to get the 4G, is there a setting on the Airave to get 4G or a 4G ariave?

Thanks

Baltimore here, LTE popping out around the suburbs. Liberty Road and Rolling, Security Square Mall, Arundel Mills Mall, Columbia (not the mall, just in the vicinity). Not much on I-695, except around exits 16-17 (Security Blvd, coming from Social Security Building). Theres a tower off of I-70 thats been giving me around 2Mbps 3G, but no LTE. I can see it from my house. Maybe a BandAid improvement? Haven't been into the city yet so can't tell you about that.