Report Your LTE Connection Here

Is there anyway to tell? I'd be happy to make a return trip to check it out (my newb self didn't really know what to do outside of a speed test.) This all took place inside of a TJMaxx store...

Thanks

The only way to tell is by driving around and observing. You probably should watch the LTE signal as shown in Settings > About, instead of using the signal strength indicator. There have been some reports of the signal strength indicator not showing LTE strength, but rather 1x signal strength.

Robert

I've received a PM from an Apple employee who said they have DAS in the buildings and rooftop panels for the grounds and parking for all the supported carriers.

Robert

I remember Sprint saying the were gonna go with pico and femtos instead of DAS for LTE.

http://www.rcrwirele...-for-picocells/

In a blow to the growing distributed antenna system market, Tarazi also said that Sprint Nextel would be moving away from current DAS deployments in favor of femtocell and picocell solutions for its LTE network. Tarazi explained that the carrier was looking at a fourth quarter launch for a new femtocell product focused on public buildings, with a late 2013 plan to roll out an outdoor picocell solution that would help facilitate offloading of data traffic from its macro network.

I remember Sprint saying the were gonna go with pico and femtos instead of DAS for LTE.

http://www.rcrwirele...-for-picocells/

And perhaps they will for new installments. But I can tell you that Sprint has over 100 DAS systems currently deployed, and they are on the Network Vision schedule to be overhauled to include LTE. Does it mean these DAS systems will be upgraded as is to include LTE, or will they be converted to picocells? That I cannot say.

Robert

I can confirm I receive it too here in Sunnyvale, about a mile or so from the Infinite Loop campus. The signal is weak, around -115 to -120, but usable when I am outdoors. Indoors the Tri-Fi falls back to WiMAX.

Interestingly, I get a very strong signal in Santa Clara, at Central Expressway and Bowers. It must be a picocell, as the signal drops from 5 bars to nothing within half a mile.

• Like 1

I can confirm I receive it too here in Sunnyvale, about a mile or so from the Infinite Loop campus. The signal is weak, around -115 to -120, but usable when I am outdoors. Indoors the Tri-Fi falls back to WiMAX.

Interestingly, I get a very strong signal in Santa Clara, at Central Expressway and Bowers. It must be a picocell, as the signal drops from 5 bars to nothing within half a mile.

If some of you South Bay members want to plot some signal areas for us, I would be happy to write an article about this. Very exciting stuff.

Robert

If some of you South Bay members want to plot some signal areas for us, I would be happy to write an article about this. Very exciting stuff.

Robert

Robert, I'd be happy to help (how do I do it? Lol)

I spotted a few more brief LTE moments while driving home on 280 in San Jose today, far away from the Apple campus this time. I've also noticed eHRPD almost everywhere I go around here the past few days (I think that is a sign of LTE-to-come?) Even have eHRPD in my house now which was EVDO only a few days ago

Thanks

• Like 2

I spotted a few more brief LTE moments while driving home on 280 in San Jose today, far away from the Apple campus this time. I've also noticed eHRPD almost everywhere I go around here the past few days (I think that is a sign of LTE-to-come?) Even have eHRPD in my house now which was EVDO only a few days ago

Thanks

eHRPD in a market they haven't started upgrading yet? They must have the 4G core all set-up and ready to go. Maybe they will start early in the South Bay? :)

Thanks

If you have time to go around the major arterial roads and highways, especially in Western Santa Clara County and take notice of where you get a 4G LTE signal and plot down the findings on a map, that would be fantastic.

Robert

• Like 4

Thanks

Oh eHrpd is different from EVDO? In which ways

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Oh eHrpd is different from EVDO? In which ways

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

To piggyback on this question....in the Chicago market, I have had an instance where I was able to get a 4G LTE connection, but when I am connected 3G on the same tower, it shows EVDO not eHRPD. What does this mean from a NV installation stand point....?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

To piggyback on this question....in the Chicago market, I have had an instance where I was able to get a 4G LTE connection, but when I am connected 3G on the same tower, it shows EVDO not eHRPD. What does this mean from a NV installation stand point....?

I don't think you can really know this for sure, because there is no way with current tools to tell for sure which LTE tower you connected to and where.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

It really doesn't mean anything. The network is in so much flux, where you get eHRPD and LTE today, doesn't mean anything for tomorrow. However, for a seamless handoff experience, the eHRPD should be on and stay on by the time LTE goes on for good.

Robert

Just wanted to share my LTE speeds with everyone. All the speeds shown are from the same tower located at 32.807354, -97.172962. It seems that I get the fastest speeds when coming from the East. I still get fast speeds on the west side but not as fast. Other LTE NV towers in downtown Fort Worth give me anywhere from 2Mbps-15Mbps down depending on where I am. Judging where I get faster speeds as opposed to fast, yet not as fast speeds, seems it all depends on the tilt from the radios (and obivously buildings, trees, etc.). This is some exciting stuff. Can't wait until Novemeber (apparently 100% completion in DFW)!

https://twitter.com/ragweed03/status/231137672226299904/photo/1

https://twitter.com/ragweed03/status/231138022119325696/photo/1

• Like 2

If you have time to go around the major arterial roads and highways, especially in Western Santa Clara County and take notice of where you get a 4G LTE signal and plot down the findings on a map, that would be fantastic.

Robert

So I did some driving today with the app "RF Signal Tracker" running to create the map below. Two things:

1. There is definitely some live LTE, especially around the Cupertino area. It doesn't allow for a great connection... connects for a few seconds, then back to 3G, but it is definitely there. Seems like a work-in-progress

2. eHRPD seems to be everywhere. You can see there weren't any areas I drove that didn't have it. Is it safe to assume that means work has begun on multiple towers in the South Bay? Not sure if eHRPD automatically means the NV process has started?

Green is LTE, Purple is eHRPD

Screenshot_2012-08-02-20-47-33.gif

• Like 1

All this talk of LTE in San Jose area has me excited since I am in the south bay market. Probably explains the odd collection of cell towers near my work. 3 towers. one has just at&t equipment, the second tower has only Sprint equipment (actually the cabinet being used is small and usually associated with 4G equipment) the third tower has a Verizon Room (that big building, whats the proper name for that modular building?), a Nextel Room and a small MetroPCS cabinet same in size to the Sprint one i mentioned.

I was not able to keep a connection, but I connected to two LTE towers this weekend near Tyngsboro, MA, BSID 666 and BSID 329

And, my 4G light flashed on this morning when I connected briefly to BS54XC906 (BSID 608) in Boston, MA. I will walk over to this tower at lunch and see if I can maintain a connection.

• Like 1

I was not able to keep a connection, but I connected to two LTE towers this weekend near Tyngsboro, MA, BSID 666 and BSID 329

More properly, those are CDMA sector IDs, not LTE. Your LTE connections may or may not have been at the same towers that your CDMA connections were.

More properly, those are CDMA sector IDs, not LTE. Your LTE connections may or may not have been at the same towers that your CDMA connections were.

Understood, but I was just reporting the entries in my LTE Record. Where is the best place to look to report actual LTE connection data?

42577d93-d781-e07f.jpg

42577d93-d723-1ed9.jpg

And, as I am writing this, my 4g status just lit up as I was connected to BSID 864. Definitely some work going on in Boston this morning.

Understood, but I was just reporting the entries in my LTE Record. Where is the best place to look to report actual LTE connection data?

Yes, you do reach that under the EVO's "LTE Record" menu. But note that the top of the screen still says "CDMA List." I suspect it is tracking the CDMA sectors the phone happens to be connected to while it is also connected to an LTE signal somewhere.

I don't know of anything that identifies the LTE site itself.

[images removed]

And, as I am writing this, my 4g status just lit up as I was connected to BSID 864. Definitely some work going on in Boston this morning.

I finally got a screen shot of my LTE connection. Based on these signal numbers, I am clearly on the edge of the coverage area, getting handed off to 3G within seconds of getting the 4G connection.

425755ab-6d2e-2fff.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I finally got a screen shot of my LTE connection. Based on these signal numbers, I am clearly on the edge of the coverage area, getting handed off to 3G within seconds of getting the 4G connection.

No, while your RSRQ does not indicate a great quality signal, your RSRP is just fine -- at least 10 dB above the network reselection threshold that would trigger a fallback to eHRPD/EV-DO.

AJ

425755ab-6d2e-2fff.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Sprint and HTC haven't yet pushed out an OTA to fix threshold problems on the EVO 4G LTE, have they?

I don't think those signal levels are so low. When I tested in Waco recently on my GS3, which did have its recent threshold fix installed, I looked for edge conditions where it would downshift to 3G. That device held LTE connection at least until -114 or -118 in respective samples.

No, while your RSRQ does not indicate a great quality signal, your RSRP is just fine -- at least 10 dB above the network reselection threshold that would trigger a fallback to eHRPD/EV-DO.

AJ

Great to know! Thanks.