Sprint LTE June 2012 Schedule Maps

In looking at the detail map of Chicago Im wondering why no one else has pointed out all the active sites are located well outside of the city in the suburbs. None of the other detailed city views show this to be the case as they have received equal LTE site coverage both in the city and the surrounding suburbs. I live in Chicago (proper) so of course I would like to see the LTE On-Air from Sprint sites show up to cover all part of the city, not just a few isolated burbs. Im really curious as to why the first sites to receive On-Air status from Sprint seem to be Joliet, Aurora, Elgin, Oak Brook, and the far NW Burbs. All of these sites are 30-40 miles away from downtown, the NW burbs area has very low population density, and some like Joliet/Elgin aren't really even considered suburbs of Chicago (they are too far). The whole thing seems to strange to me.

In looking at the detail map of Chicago Im wondering why no one else has pointed out all the active sites are located well outside of the city in the suburbs. None of the other detailed city views show this to be the case as they have received equal LTE site coverage both in the city and the surrounding suburbs. I live in Chicago (proper) so of course I would like to see the LTE On-Air from Sprint sites show up to cover all part of the city, not just a few isolated burbs. Im really curious as to why the first sites to receive On-Air status from Sprint seem to be Joliet, Aurora, Elgin, Oak Brook, and the far NW Burbs. All of these sites are 30-40 miles away from downtown, the NW burbs area has very low population density, and some like Joliet/Elgin aren't really even considered suburbs of Chicago (they are too far). The whole thing seems to strange to me.

Read the Chicago articles on the main page. It's not a "slight the city" thing, it has to do with the engineering of the project that Samsung and Ericsson is doing. They have to get the suburban and rural sites online first. The transition in the city will be smoother, however.

• Like 1

This has always been the plan, and has been discussed in many S4GRU news articles and forum posts. Sprint is typically doing this in every market. Network Vision is not just slapping up some LTE service and driving away. They are tearing down and replacing every single piece of equipment and cabling at every site. The only thing not being replaced is the tower itself. There is a huge learning curve with Network Vision, it allows crews to train on low density populations. So they are essentially making the lower population areas that cover larger areas the guinea pigs.

They are rapidly moving inward now. Chicago needs to brace itself. NV is a bumpy ride in this market. But they payoff in the end will be worth it.

Robert

• Like 1

I know a friend turned down a buyout to get on an iPhone 4S up there. I told him to hold off until LTE.

From the way I saw it, WiMax was a dead end, he didn't even use it on his Nexus S, and 3G is freaking overloaded in Chicago. Funny his phone worked fine in Carbondale while Verizon 3G failed on SIU graduation weekend.

I just hope the 1 LTE carrier is enough up there, as AT&T is going to probably land 700 Lower B and Verizon will gain another 10x10 in SpectrumCo. Sprint has a lot riding on Chicago.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339705495.489959.jpg

This is Sprint's market share for the top 40, courtesy of newyork4me on HoFo.

It explains a LOT of the First and Second Round schedule.

• Like 3

This has always been the plan, and has been discussed in many S4GRU news articles and forum posts. Sprint is typically doing this in every market. Network Vision is not just slapping up some LTE service and driving away. They are tearing down and replacing every single piece of equipment and cabling at every site. The only thing not being replaced is the tower itself. There is a huge learning curve with Network Vision, it allows crews to train on low density populations. So they are essentially making the lower population areas that cover larger areas the guinea pigs.

They are rapidly moving inward now. Chicago needs to brace itself. NV is a bumpy ride in this market. But they payoff in the end will be worth it.

Robert

Thanks for the insight. I too have noticed that 3G in Chicago is really bad. I can't say for sure if the system is overloaded but its spotty at best, at least from a Data point of view. When my phone bumps into 3G for whatever reason (elevator, subway, basement, poor 4G coverage, etc) and the 3G kicks on data functions start to time out and fail pretty consistently. Things work OK on 4G WiMax in Chicago now, but coverage gets real spotty once you leave the city proper, its ever terrible at both airports. Im looking forward to the arrival of 4G LTE, from what I have been reading and hearing in the rumor mill, if I had to guess when LTE is really "here" in Chicago.....Id say sometime around the end of the year, November or December.

Read the Chicago articles on the main page. It's not a "slight the city" thing, it has to do with the engineering of the project that Samsung and Ericsson is doing. They have to get the suburban and rural sites online first. The transition in the city will be smoother, however.

I never meant to make it sound like it was a "slight against the city" I was just curious as to why the maps of the other cities from the beginning of this thread that city and burb coverage and Chicago had only burb coverage. If it makes the transition to the city smoother than Im all for it. The sooner LTE is really here the better.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339705495.489959.jpg

This is Sprint's market share for the top 40, courtesy of newyork4me on HoFo.

It explains a LOT of the First and Second Round schedule.

Haha this is hilarious, this is more or less a direct correlation to US city population. The only revelation here is that Spring seems to garnish about 20% market share per metro area on average, other than that the amount of data usage in each city just seems to correspond to the city's population. We all know NY, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Philly, Atlanta, Detroit, Wash DC, Boston, Miami, SF....are the county's most populated areas since we were in 5th grade.

Why would you think November or December? Sprint has to finish Chicago as fast as they possibly can, with the issues between NV and legacy towers. I would think, in the next month or two Chicago will be completely lit up. There really is a lot of information on this site if you search, especially about markets currently in development.

Has Columbus Ohio even been listed yet? If so what is the time frame. TIA CJ.... Planning on becoming a member soon.

The Columbus market is not listed yet. It will not begin until some time in 2013.

Robert

We all know NY, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Philly, Atlanta, Detroit, Wash DC, Boston, Miami, SF....are the county's most populated areas since we were in 5th grade.

Maybe that was true when you were in 5th grade. But when I was in 5th grade, the top 10 included Jamestown, Plymouth Colony, and Santa Fe.

AJ

• Like 3

How many LTE panel's are being place'd on each sector,are the radio's right up at the antenna's. For that fact how many antenna's total are per sector there is a tower near me that has two very large panel's two smaller per sector radio's are up there with the antenna's. The large panel's are just like the one's Verizon use with there LTE.

How many LTE panel's are being place'd on each sector,are the radio's right up at the antenna's. For that fact how many antenna's total are per sector there is a tower near me that has two very large panel's two smaller per sector radio's are up there with the antenna's. The large panel's are just like the one's Verizon use with there LTE.

Sprint is using a multi-modal panel that includes 800/1900 CDMA/LTE in one panel. Most sites, they are installing only one panel per sector. However, there are a few really dense sites that I have seen two panels per sector.

If you see the large panels, they have RRU's behind them, and there are still thinner, smaller PCS panels also on the same rung, then there is a good chance they are NV. If they are all by themselves, they are likely AT&T. If you have some pics, we can help identify.

Robert

• Like 1

Those updates on network.sprint.com are not Network Vision upgrades, but "band aid" fixes of additional or new backhaul, voice, and data carriers. You might notice an uptick once those are completed, but there are much better things to come. If you donate and become a sponsor, there are detailed, zoomable google based maps for every market down to the street level.

Not to sound cheap but was is the min donation? Do u take credit cards?

Gold bricks are the preferred payment method; those with a 99.5% minimum purity, of course.

• Like 2

The site uses PayPal, which does take credit cards. As to a min donation.. depends on how much the info means to you. Robert, and staff, do a great job of getting info and presenting it to the users. Not to mention that they are ACTIVE here, and help answer questions, etc. So.. yeah.. depends on how much it's worth to you. To me, it was worth a steak dinner =]

• Like 6

PayPal link in the upper right and they take CCs. You can donate as much or as little as this site and info means to ya :)

Can't wait to see Tampa start showing up on these schedule maps. Work is still set to begin in July, correct? Also, do you guys have CDMA 800 site into in the Sponsor section? I've been thinking about donating since I enjoy this site so much.

Sprint is using a multi-modal panel that includes 800/1900 CDMA/LTE in one panel. Most sites, they are installing only one panel per sector. However, there are a few really dense sites that I have seen two panels per sector.

If you see the large panels, they have RRU's behind them, and there are still thinner, smaller PCS panels also on the same rung, then there is a good chance they are NV. If they are all by themselves, they are likely AT&T. If you have some pics, we can help identify.

Robert

I do think these are AT&T panel's. The two on either side of the tall one's shaped like pyramids on their side's stacked on top of each other.2012-06-18_12-18-44_360.jpg2012-06-18_12-18-32_621.jpg

Pretty sad when I found out the NV towers in Chicagoland area only have 3g and no 4GLTE completions :/

The 4G is actively being deployed, they are just not handed over to Sprint, yet. We only post sites that have been handed over to Sprint. There are many reports of people getting 4G signals in the Chicago area. Especially in the Hammond/Merrilville area. And at this point, while Sprint continues to block LTE connections, it doesn't much matter.

Robert