NYC LTE updates?

enyce9

I'd like to thank you guys for your input on this.  As it stands now, I'm not paying for the Airvana, and haven't been for quite some time - Sprint didn't really put up much of a fight when I said, "I can't use phone or data service in my home."

Perhaps the most frustrating aspect of all of this has been dealing with Sprint account services personnel who've claimed numerous times that there's nothing wrong in this neighborhood when Sprint tech support personnel have stated plainly that there is.  I'm aware that they don't all have access to the same information, but it's massively annoying that in the last year or so, I've spent literally hundreds of hours on the phone with Sprint trying to convince them of something they finally admitted has been "broken" for a very long time.  My experience with Sprint had been more or less positive until the last few years - this basically coincides with decreases in data quality and customer service reps who often exhibit zero interest in customer satisfaction.

I'm willing to stick it out for a few more months in the hopes that there will be some improvement.  If NV is available this fall and works well, that would definitely go a long way to keeping me with the company.

Edited by Morningside78
  • Like 1

For traveling maybe a personal hotspot, (I have the Tri-Fi one and I get a good signal in the city. I even keep my AT&T Note connected to it). But that might be too expensive having two devices too lug around.

TS

glad to know someone else has been up here and dealt with it. I've got theories about why data is so much worse up here than it is in other parts of the city, but I'll withhold them for now ;-)I've considered the mobile hot spot option and I do know people who've had success with them, but two questions come to mind:

1) There's no way Sprint supplies those to customers free of charge, right?

2) How do they actually work? If Sprint's coverage is poor up here anyway, what would the hot spot do? Would I need a hot spot from another carrier?

Edited by Morningside78

Well i am no expert but due to the fact that the Hotspot (at least the Tri-Fi one I have) is only basically just that a Hotspot with no other components other than the radios and board as oppose to all the stuff that is in a phone, i would assume it would have stronger radios and antennas. Now don't quote me on that cause like I said I'm no expert, but I feel that might be the case.

I also see the following...

1- For every new device I've had the radios get better, the EVO 4G was better than the hero, The Photon was better than the EVO and the Tri-Fi gets signals where no other have done before.

2-its sole purpose is to grab a signal and deliver it to other devices, a phone can do that but there are so many other crap in it that it can't possible do all the dedicated work a hotspot does.

but again, this is all my opinion.

As for providing customers a tri-fi free of charge, i doubt it. I haven't heard anything of that, yet.

Getting a Hotspot from another carrier might be doable but that would mean you would have to set your Epic on wifi. I do not know if calls or texts would still come in, having a Hotspot from another carrier. I don't think so. maybe one of the experts here can tell us.

TS

Getting a Hotspot from another carrier might be doable but that would mean you would have to set your Epic on wifi. I do not know if calls or texts would still come in, having a Hotspot from another carrier. I don't think so. maybe one of the experts here can tell us.

well I'd say yes; calls and texts are still possible when connected to wifi as long as you're within range of Sprint voice coverage. for as terrible as my data is up here, I've always got Sprint voice service...unfortunately, I use about 400 minutes of talk time a year.

• Like 1

S. Ozone Park in the house. :) or as others would say, that area near JFK. lol

TS

Ah yes, that part :P

Actually I think the area around La Guardia is even worse.

I'd like to thank you guys for your input on this. As it stands now, I'm not paying for the Airvana, and haven't been for quite some time - Sprint didn't really put up much of a fight when I said, "I can't use phone or data service in my home."

Perhaps the most frustrating aspect of all of this has been dealing with Sprint account services personnel who've claimed numerous times that there's nothing wrong in this neighborhood when Sprint tech support personnel have stated plainly that there is. I'm aware that they don't all have access to the same information, but it's massively annoying that in the last year or so, I've spent literally hundreds of hours on the phone with Sprint trying to convince them of something they finally admitted has been "broken" for a very long time. My experience with Sprint had been more or less positive until the last few years - this basically coincides with decreases in data quality and customer service reps who often exhibit zero interest in customer satisfaction.

I'm willing to stick it out for a few more months in the hopes that there will be some improvement. If NV is available this fall and works well, that would definitely go a long way to keeping me with the company.

It will man, glad to hear you're gonna stick it out.

I was speaking with my friend over the phone yesterday who lives in brooklyn and he says he has been getting a lot of dropped calls in his area. He says at his house he's been constantly getting dropped calls and yesterday while we spoke, the call dropped 3 times! In less than two minutes.

He's not into all this network vision stuff like I am but if this means that network vision is about to kick into high gear here in NYC, then bring on the dropped calls.

I really can't wait till I see guys working in my local tower. I can see my tower from my house and I check everyday.

I'll be leaving to europe soon so i'm hoping that when I get back im august, NYC will have more sites on air than right now.

When should I expect LTE in Yorktown NY?

http://s4gru.com/ind...edule-update/

As you can see, there's not a whole lot in the way of news regarding LTE for the NY metro area.  The folks I've spoken with Sprint have said that while they're pretty confident about 3G EVDO being ready this fall, they have no confidence in setting a date for an LTE launch.  In all likelihood, as stated in what I linked you, LTE will follow shortly after 3G is ready.

Edited by Morningside78

Wow looks like sprint is going to be way ahead of the game in a little bit . I'm in south fallsburg ny and I'm getting on 2 bars of service 1.4 mbps down and like 800k up

• Like 1

http://s4gru.com/ind...edule-update/

As you can see, there's not a whole lot in the way of news regarding LTE for the NY metro area. The folks I've spoken with Sprint have said that while they're pretty confident about 3G EVDO being ready this fall, they have no confidence in setting a date for an LTE launch. In all likelihood, as stated in what I linked you, LTE will follow shortly after 3G is ready.

Thanks for the help.