Sign in to follow this  
latinoboi30

cell tower question

I was wondering if there was anyway to see or find out which cell tower your phone is connected to?

any help will be greatly helpful.

I use NetMonitor app. It works really well for me. However I have heard that some people have problems with the accuracy with NetMonitor in some markets or with some devices. Results may vary.

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

I was thinking about this same question for a few days now LMAO

ive used open signal maps in the past. there locations of the towers on the map are off a bit usually just down the road from where they actually are.

Netmonitor works really well for me in the Chicago area. Keep in mind it only locates what the tower transmits for its location. I did have a couple towers around me that did not transmit a location and if my phone switched to one of those towers metmonitor would not change the location of the map from the previous tower.

It was one of the few apps I found that works on cdma.

As network vision has moved though my area the towers that were not reporting their location now do. I'm not sure if that will happen everywhere.

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

Netmonitor works really well for me in the Chicago area. Keep in mind it only locates what the tower transmits for its location. I did have a couple towers around me that did not transmit a location and if my phone switched to one of those towers metmonitor would not change the location of the map from the previous tower.

As network vision has moved though my area the towers that were not reporting their location now do. I'm not sure if that will happen everywhere.

I used to have the issue on my E4GT where it did not like to update when I connected to a new site. However, on the GNex, it always updates as I pass on site to site. Nice little surprise with my upgrade.

For me, OpenSignal site locations have been so bad. But I haven't tried it for probably over a year because the results were so poor for me. I should probably give it a try again.

I used to have the issue on my E4GT where it did not like to update when I connected to a new site. However, on the GNex, it always updates as I pass on site to site. Nice little surprise with my upgrade.

For me, OpenSignal site locations have been so bad. But I haven't tried it for probably over a year because the results were so poor for me. I should probably give it a try again.

Interesting. I experienced the location issue with my EVO 4g and EVO 4g LTE. It wasn't until their SID and NID changed with NV that netmonitor was able to locate them. I guess broadcasting the tower location is not part of the cdma standard? I imagine it would need to be done for 911 location identification.

I use NetMonitor app. It works really well for me. However I have heard that some people have problems with the accuracy with NetMonitor in some markets or with some devices. Results may vary.

Thanks

Interesting. I experienced the location issue with my EVO 4g and EVO 4g LTE. It wasn't until their SID and NID changed with NV that netmonitor was able to locate them. I guess broadcasting the tower location is not part of the cdma standard? I imagine it would need to be done for 911 location identification.

None of the VZW towers in my area broadcast their lat and long.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I use cellmapper to find locations of towers not broadcasting correct lat and lon. You can set the app to upload your signal data and the site uses this crowd sourced data to compute tower locations and map out the sectors. It takes a bit of driving around but the more data you upload the better the maps get. You can look at the maps of Austin I've been updating as an example.

Set Country to 310 and provider to 120.

http://www.cellmapper.net/map.php

None of the VZW towers in my area broadcast their lat and long.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I had heard a rumor about that from another source. I guess for me that confirms it. I wonder if that changes 911 location accuracy.

Sent from my EVO LTE

I had heard a rumor about that from another source. I guess for me that confirms it. I wonder if that changes 911 location accuracy.

Sent from my EVO LTE

My work VZW phone will not show locations with any app. VZW blocks it. However, my Sprint devices will show VZW lat/long when roaming. Go figure.

I wonder if a custom rom running on a VZW phone would show lat lon? I think when I had my VZW GNEX running a rooted rom it showed lat and lon in netmonitor and cdma field test but i have horrible memory.

I wonder if a custom rom running on a VZW phone would show lat lon? I think when I had my VZW GNEX running a rooted rom it showed lat and lon in netmonitor and cdma field test but i have horrible memory.

I wouldn't know. The State of New Mexico frowns on us rooting and installing custom ROMs. It can even be grounds for termination.

I heard (but don't know) that in the iPhone field test screen you can look at the Serving PN offset which will give you the degrees off north of the current cell you are on (from the tower's point of view), and active set pilots will show the same for the towers you can see... So in my case I look on the map and see 255 and 96, which would indicate a tower almost to the immediate west of me and another to the north east and indeed I find Sprint sites at those exact locations and within reasonable distances (1 mi and 3.5mi respectively).

No clue if this is correct or not. I can see base ID under the 1X info but haven't found any way to correlate that with a Sprint site.

Talking with netmonitor support about app issues I was having, I found that their data comes from a Google database. He said that Google collects location data from Android devices via the location service and creates a DB of cell towers. The problem I've found is that the Google locations, in comparision to the great data that Robert has here, are down right terrible. Over a mile off in random directions, sometimes pointing you in the completely different directions.

I heard (but don't know) that in the iPhone field test screen you can look at the Serving PN offset which will give you the degrees off north of the current cell you are on (from the tower's point of view), and active set pilots will show the same for the towers you can see...

No clue if this is correct or not. I can see base ID under the 1X info but haven't found any way to correlate that with a Sprint site.

Deployed PN offsets have no relation to their compass orientations.

AJ

Ah ok, it seemed a bit iffy to me.

I wish there was some way to correlate some of those IDs to the towers

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• large.unreadcontent.png.6ef00db54e758d06

• gallery_1_23_9202.png

• Similar Content

• By lilotimz
      Here are the Alcatel-Lucent (ALU) Network Vision equipment for Sprint. Their equipment consists of 2x base stations, 6 or 9 Remote Radio Unit (RRU) setups, and 1 standard NV antenna of with connectors on the bottom (4x PCS, 2x SMR). 

Below are images of Alcatel-Lucent equipment. In these images, you will find Alcatel-Lucent base stations, Sprint Network Vision antennas, PCS 1900 & SMR 800 RRUs, and their configurations.
      Alcatel-Lucent 4x40w 25 MHz PCS 1900 B25 RRUs (Panasonic) [old]

Alcatel-Lucent  4x45w 1900 MHz B25 RRU 

ALU 2x50w B26 800 MHz RRU [KMW Communications]

Older Panasonic Setup [4x40w 25 MHz B25]

Standard Alcatel-Lucent Setup 
      Utilizes 2x50w 800 MHz B26 RRU and 4x45w 1900 MHz B25 RRU and compatible antennas. 

Closer Look at the connectors on the bottom of the antennas

Special Case Mexican IBEZ Setup
      Note the lack of 800 MHz RRUs though the antennas are capable of 800 MHz. 

High Capacity Setup

High Capacity no SMR 800 IBEZ setup

* Credits go to those whom took the images of these equipment. You know who you are."
    • By danlodish345
      Hey guys i am curious....i switched to boost mobile and i was curious if there are any handsets that support carrier aggregation.
    • By Febby
      I notice a lot of post regarding the markets in IL,FL,TX,PA,NYC.... but how about about the Los Angeles market? I THINK it was samsung doing the set up for the L.A market? Not sure though.... I'm not a sponsor member of the site so I can't really check... if I had a job I'd most definitely donate!

Couple of months ago the local towers were all down and being upgraded to NV I assume since Larry from Howard forums said there was NV work being done my zip code. The speeds were better for a bit but now they are awful again.

Can anyone (most preferred Robert) make a comment on if there is any LTE activity near 90255 area code?

Thanks, great site by the way... I'm a Lurker.
    • By jakeuten
      Just a bit of insight. I live near UMD in Duluth, MN. Sprint's signal is clearly much 'dirtier' with a 1.0 SNR compared to T-Mobile's 20.4 SNR. I don't have a screenshot from the same time, but I get about a 22 to 29 SNR with T. I know that AT&T uses RRU's but I'm not too sure about Sprint or T-Mobile. Also, I didn't even know they had L2500 where I live, but I force checked it on my Samsung S7 (AT&T). 

• By S4GRU
      Did you know that with many Sprint (Uniband) LTE Android devices, the signal strength indicator at the top does not show your LTE signal strength? Even if 4G or LTE is displayed next to it?

That's right!  This signal displayed here is your 1x (voice signal), and it is not your 3G EVDO signal strength, nor your LTE signal strength.  Regardless of whether it says 3G or 4G next to it. This is the cause of a lot of confusion.  Also, third party apps like NetMonitor do not show accurate LTE signal strengths. They also only show the 1x signal strength, even though they may reference being connected to LTE.
      The purpose of this thread is to help educate the masses, because many people think they have a strong LTE signal, when in fact they do not. And then they are unhappy, thinking that Sprint LTE is really slow, even with a strong signal. LTE performance is very signal strength dependent. So, when you have a weak signal, you can expect much slower than peak results.

There is only one accurate way to get your LTE signal strength, and that is from your LTE Engineering screen in your Debug menu. And we will discuss the different ways to get that below.

...In HTC, Motorola & LG Sprint LTE devices:
      Go in to your phone app, and dial ##DEBUG# Select LTE Engineering Go down to RSRP. The number under RSRP shown in dBm is your LTE signal strength. ...In Samsung Sprint LTE devices:
      Go in to your phone app, and dial ##DEBUG# Enter 777468 for your lock code Select LTE Engineering Go down to RSRP. The number next to RSRP shown in dBm is your LTE signal strength. ...In the Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 5:
      Go in to your phone app, and dial *#*#DEBUG#*#* Enter 777468 for your lock code Select LTE Engineering Go down to RSRP. The number next to RSRP shown in dBm is your LTE signal strength. The LTE Signal Strength Scale:

Now you have determined your actual LTE signal strength in dBms your device is receiving, you can use the following scale below to determine its strength:
      Better than -88dBm RSRP is a strong signal Between -89dBm and -96dBm is a very good signal Between -97dBm and -105dBm is good Between -106dBm and -112dBm is fair Worse than -113dBm RSRP is poor Feel free to link people to this thread for explanation. Hopefully, this will clear up some confusion out there!

• SoftBank isn't willing to do anything with Sprint. Sprint will need a different buyer. I do agree with getting Dishes spectrum. They have Nationwide AWS at 20x20 and my area the have 10x10 600. Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    • I do think that the merger will be approved but just in case, here's my thoughts on what should happen if it gets rejected in order of preferred outcome: 1. T-Mobile & Sprint merge their network operations into an independent company and they both become MVNOs. Dish is left out in the cold with their spectrum unused. FCC has egg in their face. Only way Dish gets their network deployed is if Amazon and/or cable cos invest in them. it could happen...the other possibility is that Dish sells their spectrum to Verizon/AT&T/T-mobile. Sprint does pretty good but they are no longer a price leader. Their pricing is rationalized and pretty close to what the other major carriers charge. 2. Sprint gets properly funded by Softbank. They buy Dish's 600Mhz/ AWS-3. They fill out their present network but do not expand beyond their current footprint. They charge for rural roaming and they price themselves rationally. They grow slowly. 3. Sprint gets acquired by a consortium of Amazon and cable cos. They use Sprint to promote their video offerings to millennials. The resulting company expands their network to provide a really solid network in the boondocks but fall short of Verizon/AT&T which is OK. They only expand where they can make money.  4. Sprint goes on without the financial support of Softbank and limps along. They shrink their network and become an urban based network. Some smaller markets and places where it does not make financial sense to have their network are dropped. They rationalize their prices and charge for roaming. Where they do offer service their network is really solid. 
    • Thanks.    I thought the same about the appeal, but knowing this crowd... they might.  
    • You aren't kidding, I frequent Flat Stick in downtown a lot and other than right by the door, there is ZERO service. Additionally, up the hill to the north into Norkirk by Kirkland Jr. High and onto the Forbes Creek area are pretty much total dead zones. The only major ones I have encountered which aren't covered by any roaming either.   Edit: It looks like they are getting started on the 11250 Kirkland Way site as well:   https://permitsearch.mybuildingpermit.com/PermitDetails/ENR20-00296/Kirkland   Edit 2: I just noticed that Clearwire/Sprint used to have a tower up by Kirkland Jr high. That tower would have definitely improved service to that area if they had converted to triband. As stated, that region is BY FAR the biggest dead zone in the area. 
    • That is actually the permit to do the physical upgrade.  The original planning permit was filed in 2018 and was finally approved this month.  Here is the link: https://permitsearch.mybuildingpermit.com/PermitDetails/WIR18-00056/Kirkland. Hopefully they will get that site upgraded soon.  That area could really use a coverage boost.