Network Vision/LTE - Pittsburgh Market

Bar1203

Here is one from just now, same site but further away. I am away from my computer because I'm in the process of moving so I downloaded Tapatalk. I took a ##debug# screenshot this time.

189154292f2d980e6fab171ed961795d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Here is one from just now, same site but further away. I am away from my computer because I'm in the process of moving so I downloaded Tapatalk. I took a ##debug# screenshot this time.

189154292f2d980e6fab171ed961795d.jpg

Just like CA, the best aspect of 10x10 is better speeds at the edge.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I also saw an autonomous Uber car yesterday driving down Penn Ave. 2d916ddf857bf4b580024738fe646f5d.jpg

ad804714e5ce1e15bf8dfd566fb7e91a.jpg

Makes sense Uber is testing them in Pittsburgh, since they poached all the autonomous car researchers from CMU. I didn't know PA had regulations in place yet to allow them on the road?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

There was a guy in the driver's seat and one in the back. I'm not sure if it was full autonomous. I do remember reading they were supposed to be using a test track and the busways not actual roads

Finding more 10x10 on western side

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am a little surprised that 10x10  is deployed how it is or maybe the line is the road ways. Because as I drove up I79 it was bouncing back and forth between 5x5 and 10x10 from Canonsburg to Neville Island. Then it was solid to Wexford then I went on I-76 which was mostly solid 10x10 until Oakmont then back to jumping back and forth.

I don't have the time or energy to track it but it seems they just plucked 10x10 anywhere instead of cluster launching it.

I am a little surprised that 10x10  is deployed how it is or maybe the line is the road ways. Because as I drove up I79 it was bouncing back and forth between 5x5 and 10x10 from Canonsburg to Neville Island. Then it was solid to Wexford then I went on I-76 which was mostly solid 10x10 until Oakmont then back to jumping back and forth.

I don't have the time or energy to track it but it seems they just plucked 10x10 anywhere instead of cluster launching it.

I believe it is more planned based on what we have seen in Columbus.  1) sites without B41 seem to have a higher likelihood, same with heavily used sites. 2) I believe they have basically setup two networks, a 5x5 and a 10x10, possible due to CDMA channel requirements of some older phones.  Based on careful observations, when you start with a 5x5 network , it is inclined to keep you on 5x5, when you are on 10x10, it is inclined to keep you on 10x10.  Given the number of 10x10 sites observed, Pittsburgh has likely had them for a while.  This situation is likely temporary.  Notices have been sent out on how to update PRLs on old phones by re-provisioning as well as reports of forced PRL and data profile updates.  Analysis of the latest PRLs indicate changes in CDMA channels.

Sounds like they finally plan to upgrade all the GMO or legacy sites along the highways within a year

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

Sounds like they finally plan to upgrade all the GMO or legacy sites along the highways within a year

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I hope that involves the barely functioning towers near 15010...

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

I wonder why sprint is opting out of the Das and instead using repeaters. Is it time to deploy, money, or incompatible frequency? It can't be solely money as sprint would be splitting the cost with the other 3.

I also think it's funny that half of the article was sprint news and a sprint spokesman was quoted. Methinks that giant sprint sign on Mt Washington is working.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It is neat that it looks like it is in CA with the 2nd carrier. I don't think that is normal. I have only seen that at one tower in New Haven, Conn.

It can only be CA with the second carrier, since it needs to be contiguous. Last night I had the third carrier being the primary and the second carrier as the secondary.

10679a381f74cda5805798bb5cc39339.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Do you see the 1st carrier and the 2nd carrier CA from the same site? For a time 3rd carrier did not have CA or at least people weren't seeing it. People would have to have CA turned off or be idle to see the 3rd carrier by itself. When a data session was started it would switch to 1st or 2nd carrier CA together.

Do you see the 1st carrier and the 2nd carrier CA from the same site? For a time 3rd carrier did not have CA or at least people weren't seeing it. People would have to have CA turned off or be idle to see the 3rd carrier by itself. When a data session was started it would switch to 1st or 2nd carrier CA together.

Yup, here's one taken just now from the same site while running a speed test. First and second carriers aggregated.

b9c5b35f033d9f7bfb5246a1d90dda05.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• 2 months later...

Has anyone driven through Squirrel Hill to test if service is active yet?

I always dropped to no service in Liberty, but maintained at least 3G in Fort Pitt and Squirrel Hill.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/06/27/cell-phone-service-coming-to-squirrel-hill-tunnel/

From the article:

Work in the Fort Pitt Tunnel, and the Liberty Tunnel will be easier than Squirrel Hill because the conduits already exist. But Verizon stated that Squirrel Hill will go online first, with Liberty and Fort Pitt to follow. Each tunnel coming on line as soon as the work is finished.

The work is expected to occur through mid September.

• Like 1

Has anyone driven through Squirrel Hill to test if service is active yet?

I always dropped to no service in Liberty, but maintained at least 3G in Fort Pitt and Squirrel Hill.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016/06/27/cell-phone-service-coming-to-squirrel-hill-tunnel/

From the article:

Work in the Fort Pitt Tunnel, and the Liberty Tunnel will be easier than Squirrel Hill because the conduits already exist. But Verizon stated that Squirrel Hill will go online first, with Liberty and Fort Pitt to follow. Each tunnel coming on line as soon as the work is finished.

The work is expected to occur through mid September.

I have, but unfortunately wasn't paying attention as I was driving [emoji23] next time I'll watch my phone and see. It may be a while though...

I'm 99% sure the site ID will be PT03XC407 (labeled as "Squirrel Hill Tunnel"), which would imply a regular macro site rather than a repeater, DAS, or small cell. But let's just say an internal source indicates it's not active yet [emoji6]

It also appears the Liberty Tunnel will be a repeater, PT96XR002.

For the Fort Pitt Tunnel, site PT59XC600 is right above the tunnel and is broadcasting 10x10 B25 only (no B26) and CDMA. From a Google maps search, this is the antenna https://goo.gl/maps/PFD4ByNkvUF2

Somehow it has 3 sectors that have been detected. So it could be a DAS extension from what goes through the tunnel. In which case, Fort Pitt would potentially have LTE on GCI 0A2107xx.

Sent from my Pixel XL

• 4 months later...

Nice small cell. Broadcasting?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I was busy finding replacement for a broken ceiling fan so no time to sit. I did try and airplane mode but no new GCI. If I had to guess what it was then sprint because it had what looked like an AirHarmony 4000.

http://www.airspan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/AirHARMONY-4000-April2016-lr.pdf

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxri7elo4fyeine/20170421_124028.jpg?dl=0

• Like 1