Network Vision/LTE - Pittsburgh Market

Bar1203

• 1 month later...

This looks like a small cell setup that Sprint has used. There is a VZ small cell about a block down the road so I dont think VZ would space them so close.

What does everyone think?

aLrUMlpl.jpg

We do have Verizon small cells placed as close together  as a few hundred feet in Columbus.

This looks like a small cell setup that Sprint has used. There is a VZ small cell about a block down the road so I dont think VZ would space them so close.

What does everyone think?

aLrUMlpl.jpg

Looks similar to AT&T (or even Verizon) DAS gear. The Fiber to RF box is mounted below.

Edited by atomic50

• 1 month later...

Hopefully it is the start of GMO conversion. I probably won't be in that area until late Jan-Feb. Be sure to report it with the Sprint Zone app.

And let use know if you see LTE start expanding.

Still random switches to Roaming on the Turnpike around Zelienople/Beaver Falls, especially at night. No clue what they could be doing... still an LTE-free zone.

Still random switches to Roaming on the Turnpike around Zelienople/Beaver Falls, especially at night. No clue what they could be doing... still an LTE-free zone.

Not sure what it could be. I have been to cranberry a couple times not yet North or West of it yet. The times I have been there it has been B41 as normal.

Have you called sprint or gone into a local store? They should have some idea if work is going on if they look at the schedule.

• 2 weeks later...

Root metrics report is out again. http://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/pittsburgh-pa/2016/1H

ATT was the big winner with twice the download speed as everyone else. Sprint seems to be hurt by their upload speeds. I picked up a s7 edge and B41 2CA seems to be everywhere that has B41. Can't wait to see 3CA to leave the lab to see how it affects the scores next test.

Root metrics report is out again. http://www.rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/pittsburgh-pa/2016/1H

ATT was the big winner with twice the download speed as everyone else. Sprint seems to be hurt by their upload speeds. I picked up a s7 edge and B41 2CA seems to be everywhere that has B41. Can't wait to see 3CA to leave the lab to see how it affects the scores next test.

WOW! Verizon's downloads speeds are tanking! I truly believe this is a the reason why they keep bringing up "5G"!

• "Verizon’s median download speed decreased from 22.3 Mbps to 14.6 Mbps."

• 3 weeks later...

WOW! Verizon's downloads speeds are tanking! I truly believe this is a the reason why they keep bringing up "5G"!

• "Verizon’s median download speed decreased from 22.3 Mbps to 14.6 Mbps."

thats not to bad...on my block they average 8 MBPS due to me being on the boarder of band 13/4 coverage

• 4 weeks later...

Whatever is happening, it seems like handoffs are nearly impossible right now. Anyone with knowledge think of a reason?

• 5 weeks later...

Cj3wZ9TWgAAmOAS.jpg

And the city wants it taken down...

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2016/06/01/City-issues-cease-and-desist-order-for-Mount-Washington-

sign/stories/201606010227

That Bayer sign is ugly and hasn't worked in years...

Haha I just saw that last night and took a picture of it, but forgot to post it. Is that the old Bayer sign?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Haha I just saw that last night and took a picture of it, but forgot to post it. Is that the old Bayer sign?

Sent from my Nexus 6P

Yes, this is what it looks like during the day...And for some reason the city wants to keep it looking like this

Bayersign.jpg?ver=1439837142

• Like 1

I've been reading posts in other markets where they're ragging on Sprint coverage and performance. I'd just like to point out that I traverse across downtown and the northside daily, live in the southern suburbs, and occasionally go to the western suburbs...I've not seen 3G in years and the service is more reliable than in-building WiFi. 

Sprint hasn't won Rootmetrics in Pittsburgh but for me the service is fantastic and I pay <$100 a month all in for 2 lines.

• Like 6

They still like things industrial apparently, rusty and old.  

:D

Yes, this is what it looks like during the day...And for some reason the city wants to keep it looking like this

Bayersign.jpg?ver=1439837142

Yup. On the Northside I pull 60mbit during the day/evening on Sprint, indoors. At night I've gotten over 100mbit. Verizon in the same location peaks at 20, and is around 2mbit in the evening. Where Sprint has B41 in Pittsburgh it works very well. Now downtown and on the southside slopes is a different story...

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I still question their methodology.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone going to the parade today? Hopefully they have some COWs and small cells in place for today. I don't think any network could survive the crowds that are going to be coming.

I doubt they got COWs installed that quickly, usually they set them up a few weeks in advance (or did in SF for the Super Bowl anyway). I was downtown for Pride this weekend and didn't pick up anything new. So it's unfortunately probably just going to be the regular macro network.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting in front of South Hills village mall... Checked engineering screen and it's 10x10!

Speed test is 50 down 20 up..

Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2029799388

Post engineering screen shots.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Post engineering screen shots.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Yeah I'm curious to see what channel it is. As of yesterday going from downtown Pittsburgh north on 279 -> 79 -> 76 I only picked up the 5x5 carrier on the normal channel according to my SCP logs.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

I am on the west side of Pittsburgh metro for a few days. Might have some time to look around for this. No b41 3rd channel observed so far.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk