Network Vision/LTE - Pittsburgh Market

Bar1203

I have lost 4g service in my area, I am not picking up a 4g signal where I would usually get 4-5 bars. However, I am picking up 3G in my house and it seems to be working flawlessly. Any reason for why this may be? I think it may be just matinence, but there might be some problems with the towers as well. Feedback would be appreciated.

Do you get lte if you toggle airplane mode? You haven't by chance updated your phone to something that supports 800lte have you? I just mentioned 800 LTE because some are having issues because when they first turn them on they don't go far. Then they go back and optimize the towers. This causes people to lose LTE where they had it before then the phone waits 30 minutes to rescan for LTE.

Of course they might just be doing other work at the tower. If you haven't upgraded then you might call sprint not sure what they would say with Pittsburgh not LTE launched yet. Probably the same nonsense about upgrading towers in the area.

I have lost 4g service in my area, I am not picking up a 4g signal where I would usually get 4-5 bars. However, I am picking up 3G in my house and it seems to be working flawlessly. Any reason for why this may be? I think it may be just matinence, but there might be some problems with the towers as well. Feedback would be appreciated.

I had the day off, so I did not drive near you today... I would assume that they are adjusting/"optimizing" the tower in mars, and hopefully it means that they are adding 800Mhz LTE.  But knowing that there are few towers other than the main one right off of 228 where the bridge construction was, and you are still receiving strong 3G signal, it is likely that your still receiving your signal from the same tower.  The only question is if the 4G outage was on purpose or if something went wrong... 

I work in cranberry tomorrow, so I'll run sensorly on my way in and see if it is still not broadcasting 4G. 

I had the day off, so I did not drive near you today... I would assume that they are adjusting/"optimizing" the tower in mars, and hopefully it means that they are adding 800Mhz LTE. But knowing that there are few towers other than the main one right off of 228 where the bridge construction was, and you are still receiving strong 3G signal, it is likely that your still receiving your signal from the same tower. The only question is if the 4G outage was on purpose or if something went wrong...

I work in cranberry tomorrow, so I'll run sensorly on my way in and see if it is still not broadcasting 4G.

I now get normal LTE coverage, I think it was just simple tower matinence.

I had the day off, so I did not drive near you today... I would assume that they are adjusting/"optimizing" the tower in mars, and hopefully it means that they are adding 800Mhz LTE. But knowing that there are few towers other than the main one right off of 228 where the bridge construction was, and you are still receiving strong 3G signal, it is likely that your still receiving your signal from the same tower. The only question is if the 4G outage was on purpose or if something went wrong...

Edited by Jakob
  • Like 1

I was in the Steel Plaza T station yesterday and I had four bars of LTE coverage on my iPhone 5s. I did a speed test and got 11 Mbps Down and 4 Mbps Up. That was pretty nice to see in a previously bad spot for service. I didn't get a chance to do the Field Engineering screen though.

I was sitting in traffic on Crosstown Blvd. and picked up a strong (-85 db) Band 26 signal. I didn't run a speed test though as I was too close to the my data cap.

I did play my copy of Crosstown Traffic by Hendrix in the car.

I did see a new B41 panel at the intersection of Bower Hill and Cochran today which would be my first sighting of anything related to B41 in Pittsburgh/suburbs of Pittsburgh. I was not able to get signal though from it...just B25.

• 4 weeks later...

Tower handoffs are still a problem in/near Downtown Pittsburgh. Travelling through downtown, I dropped my call while entering via I-279 S. The caller called back, but call dropped again through Ft Pitt Tunnel (I-376 W) leaving town.

I keep hoping that the two sites in Wintersville Ohio, just 45 minutes away from downtown Pittsburgh by freeway,  will get upgraded to NV soon.  This is the largest concentration of legacy sites left in Ohio.  At least one of these sites has had the RRHs and antennas installed for months. 1x800 could really help along US 22 as the freeway continues to Cadiz. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I keep hoping that the two sites in Wintersville Ohio, just 45 minutes away from downtown Pittsburgh by freeway,  will get upgraded to NV soon.  This is the largest concentration of legacy sites left in Ohio.  At least one of these sites has had the RRHs and antennas installed for months. 1x800 could really help along US 22 as the freeway continues to Cadiz. :)

:sunny: Wintersville now NV: https://network.sprint.com/search/wintersville%2C+oh/ :thx:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I noticed as I was driving into work today that the antenna panels on the Fort Pitt inbound site are gone. I wonder if the site has been deactivated.

Those sites haven't been touched/upgraded at all, right? I'm convinced they were causing massive dropped call problems...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Interestingly the only B41 sites I know of and can see the panel are new 8t8r panels. I haven't seen any clear conversions, but then again I don't go looking for clear conversions. 

And finding permits for work is impossible as the building inspection department just started using the internet a few months ago:

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2014/08/04/Pittsburgh-s-Bureau-of-Building-Inspection-lacked-Internet-email-until-this-year/stories/201408040102

• 1 month later...

Reviving the once mighty Steeler (Pittsburgh) thread here.

I have seen flashes of B26 at my work on the North Side (AGH) and in Bloomfield (West Penn) and in my house in the South Hills, but it has been far from consistent. At times I get -88 dBm signal where there used to be only 3G but it disappears quickly.

I know its all optimizing but I'd like to see the work coalesce here. I do get B41 in a handful of spots too so that's nice knowing that we are a 4th rounder in NV.

Anyone else getting more consistent B26 'round here?

The turnpike seems to be covered from Youngwood to cranberry for band 26 still alot of holes though. I was surprised to see band 26 stretch to richs farms which is about a mile north of wv it may be known for its fright farm.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised when tim gets to be able to release the band 41 site map. Hopefully s4gru gets time to release the schedule information his real life seems to be busy though.