Network Vision/LTE - Pittsburgh Market

Bar1203

Hello fellow alumni and former neighbors, band 26 LTE has arrived in your market!!!

For those unfamiliar, Band 26 LTE (800) can go 60% further than traditional band 25 LTE (1900) or penetrate brick buildings. 

Go many miles northwest of downtown.  Map for premier members: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5107-lte-800-band-26-sites-accepted-discussion/  1x800SMR is popping up all over the Pittsburgh Market, so band 26 LTE may soon cover a much larger portion.

To find it you need a triband phone (like a LG G2 or Samsung S4 Mini), or an Apple iPhone 5s or 5c.

How to tell in detail (in theory) if you have found band 26 (premier):   http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4825-columbus-market-mapspreadsheet-premier-edition/page-11&do=findComment&comment=282742

Please post and Signal Check  and engineering screens of band 26 LTE found.

• Like 1

I work on Grant Street in Downtown and today I noticed occasional LTE (two bars) on my iPhone 5S. Speeds were only 1.1 Mbps up and 0.3 Mbps but at least it is something. First time I have seen LTE Downtown.  Hopefully this means full blown LTE for Downtown sometime soon. ‎

Another 30 Band 26 sites accepted in the Pittsburgh market. Details in the Premier Sponsor B26/LTE 800 thread.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

I work on Grant Street in Downtown and today I noticed occasional LTE (two bars) on my iPhone 5S. Speeds were only 1.1 Mbps up and 0.3 Mbps but at least it is something. First time I have seen LTE Downtown.  Hopefully this means full blown LTE for Downtown sometime soon. ‎

You may have been seeing band 26 LTE (800), which can go 60% future than regular 1900 LTE and has better building penetration.  Get this screen shot and post it.  If all the characters don't show for cell identity, change your font size so they do.

*iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c(theoretically possible) can use the following screen (credit mosoccer):post-25488-0-55710000-1392471349_thumb.p

The GCI can be obtained through hexadecimal conversion of cell identify

• Like 2

Here it is:

The 5mhz would tend to indicate B26 LTE.  Would need to change the font to bold so the entire cell identity is visible to be certain.

Mapped 2000 4g sensorly points in the southern part of pittsburgh market. Hopefully I can get more mapping this weekend. I had some decent speeds in connellsville. https://www.dropbox.com/s/6dh2irjvk9gorfu/Screenshot_2014-03-21-17-19-09.png

I didn't expect LTE for a while still no lte at my house but that is no surprise. I don't even get 3g. With 1x800 and now LTE makes me want to see if they added 800lte to local towers. Stupid single band galaxy s4 I was planning on waiting until middle of may to upgrade. I was thinking I would not see local LTE until may or june.

I agree I did speed test with my Boost Mobile HTC One SV and my other temporary phone which is a Motorola Moto X for Verizon in Connellsville both LTE's averaged 22 with peaks of 25

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know what's going on in the Oakland area? I've been dropping calls like crazy recently. Sometimes with 4+ bars. It has been this way for about a month, but it's getting more frequent. I didn't have this problems when I visited Oklahoma last week.

Does anyone know what's going on in the Oakland area? I've been dropping calls like crazy recently. Sometimes with 4+ bars. It has been this way for about a month, but it's getting more frequent. I didn't have this problems when I visited Oklahoma last week.

It might be issues with the new towers in the area. Which phones do you have issues with? If its is the gs5 try turning lte/mobile data off. It maybe a ecsfb issue. Could you check out signalcheck lite to see what technology 1900/800 you are connected to and post a screenshot.

I have seen a lot of work happening on the inner city towers as I drive through on my way to work. Probably just the pains associated with NV. As an aside, My home tower just got accepted and I was dropping calls and had failed texts for about a week prior

It might be issues with the new towers in the area. Which phones do you have issues with? If its is the gs5 try turning lte/mobile data off. It maybe a ecsfb issue. Could you check out signalcheck lite to see what technology 1900/800 you are connected to and post a screenshot.

Thanks for the advice. It is the gs5 that I'm having problems with. Here is the signal check lite screenshots:

Data on: http://i.imgur.com/pDN9RKe.png?1

Data off: http://i.imgur.com/6V5R9ZR.png?1

Looks like you connected to 800lte. I thought I read read someone had issues when they were connected to 800 LTE to receiving calls but I can't find it right now. The gs5 only has one antenna it can only use voice or data one at a time. I thought I read band 26 failed to send the signal that there was a call coming in but I maybe mistaking.

A lot of people report issues when sprint is upgrading towers for all phones. Mainly because the old equipment and the new equipment don't well work together. So they try to launch 3g or 1x800 in clusters.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been seeing a lot of tower work around Lawrenceville and at the BRM storage building on Western Ave. in the North Side. I tried to look up permit applications for the city and there are a lot but they don't state if they are for Sprint. The permits just say communication tower.

Oh well, nice to see progress in the city instead of the suburbs.

I've been seeing a lot of tower work around Lawrenceville and at the BRM storage building on Western Ave. in the North Side. I tried to look up permit applications for the city and there are a lot but they don't state if they are for Sprint. The permits just say communication tower.

Oh well, nice to see progress in the city instead of the suburbs.

Do you have any pictures of the towers? I would be interested if you connected to band 41. But those might belong in the premier section.

Pittsburgh *finally* got rid of the brown dots on the map in the Golden Triangle, but I *still* had repeated dropped calls while driving through after midnight this morning... what gives? 

I don't know what time do you think they hook 4g fiber backhaul. I haven't been downtown in a while did they turn on 1x800 when they turned on the new cabinets? I don't know if you ran into that 1x800 to 1x1900 handoff issue others noticed with new 1x800.

We went to the children's museum yesterday and had 4G the entire trip through pittsburgh, added 1000 more spots to the sensorly map, speeds were good too... I think they will announce the city as launched soon, and hopefully spark will arrive before the end of the year (as we were an original WiMax city), but I do not have a spark device yet so I'll just have to wait for someone here to find it. 

• Like 2

I agree, I work at AGH and West Penn and I've had solid 4G coverage between both hospitals this week. There are little tastes, yes a petit goût of B26 too. (Probably still in testing though)

• Like 1

On Monday I noticed full bars of LTE walking around Downtown. I work in the USX Tower and I now get about three bars. Speed isn't the best  but I have a better signal. Before I was only getting one bar of LTE and would switch to 3G if I moved to a different part of my floor. Now it stays on LTE.

• Like 3

I have lost 4g service in my area, I am not picking up a 4g signal where I would usually get 4-5 bars. However, I am picking up 3G in my house and it seems to be working flawlessly. Any reason for why this may be? I think it may be just matinence, but there might be some problems with the towers as well. Feedback would be appreciated.