LTE roll out message today

That's not really fair. The guy is only posting what the internal communications are showing. He can't control if the corp follows through on them or not. Folks just need to take what's reported as unofficial until you hear it from Sprint directly.

• Like 3

Can you repost the article... that linky no worky

Don't know why, that URL is totally wrong. The article is on reception issues on the E4GLE. Here is the correct link: http://www.techhive.com/article/2000138/htc-evo-4g-lte-signal-woes-confirmed.html

That one should work.

This is now the leading article on the "HTC EVO 4G LTE" topic on Google News...

Screen%20shot%202012-06-08%20at%209.12.41%20AM.png

Don't know why, that URL is totally wrong. The article is on reception issues on the E4GLE. Here is the correct link: http://www.techhive....-confirmed.html

That one should work.

This is now the leading article on the "HTC EVO 4G LTE" topic on Google News...

Screen%20shot%202012-06-08%20at%209.12.41%20AM.png

I have a couple of big issues with this article. They are so bad, that it throws everything they did into question. Here is Quote #1:

Another reason might be due to the fact that Sprint seems to be no longer updating and maintaining its 3G network. In PCWorld’s 3G and 4G Wireless Speed Showdown, our testers found that Sprint was consistently behind in our tests. According to author Mark Sullivan, the carrier seems to have stopped developing its existing 3G and 4G (WiMax) networks while transitioning from its outdated WiMax 4G technology to LTE.

Are they serious? Sprint is spending a billion dollars on 3G enhancements ahead of Network Vision. That's what network.sprint.com tracks. Also, Network Vision has billions of dollars in 3G enhancements, including DO Advanced. They should have called me for a quote. It's true they abandoned WiMax, but not 3G. This is journalistic malfeasance. :td:

Here is Quote #2:

In the PCWorld review of the HTC EVO 4G LTE, we criticized the phone’s slow speeds over 3G. In New Orleans, the HTC Evo achieved an average of 1.4 Mbps for download speeds and 0.52 Mbps for upload speeds. In San Francisco, Sprint's 3G network was a bit faster, with an average speed of 1.69 Mbps for downloads and 0.90 Mbps for uploads.

What? They criticize Sprint's slow 3G speeds with 1.4Mbps and 1.69Mbps download speeds? What? Those are great 3G speeds. And those are screaming 3G speeds compared to most urban/suburban locations on the Sprint network. If we all could get that, none of us would be complaining. Those are even good speeds on VZW 3G. :scratch:

It's obvious that if they post things like this, they put no value in trying to investigate the issues they are reporting about the EVO LTE. No credibility in my book.

The way they "scientifically" tested the devices is so poor, that they should not have written an article about it. Did they verify if the EVO LTE was changing towers? That would be the most likely reason for changes in signal strength, not antenna issues.

Although I wouldn't rule out issues with the new EVO, but there is no way I would conclude there is based on this piss poor article. Sorry to rant, but I have major heartburn with the piece. :rant:

Robert

• Like 10

Robert,

These are exactly the kind of issues that after a long week, I did not want to get into at the end of Thursday. However, they do show how ignorant these folks were, and how dangerous a simplistic app like Open Signal Maps.

• Like 2

Robert,

These are exactly the kind of issues that after a long week, I did not want to get into at the end of Thursday. However, they do show how ignorant these folks were, and how dangerous a simplistic app like Open Signal Maps.

Thank you for posting the link. Sometimes it's good to get the blood moving first thing in the morning. I like to know what others are saying, even if inaccurate.

Robert

I responded to the Tecnetico article:

Sprint is definitely under way with Network Vision in Puerto Rico. But I do not believe they are anywhere near ready to actually have 4G LTE live anywhere there yet. It is my understanding that the 4G Core in Bayamon will not be ready until the end of summer. So Network Vision will continue to be deployed, but the 4G cannot be live until then at the earliest.

Additionally, Sprint LTE devices only show "4G" icon in the signal indicator, and do not show LTE. Just like WiMax. These speed tests could not be WiMax, because they are much higher speeds than WiMax can support. These speed test screen shots are most likely Sprint LTE stateside, and not conducted in PR...in my opinion.

Thank you, Wilton. Gracias!

Robert, S4GRU.com

• Like 2

Hind sight is always 20/20...but it really was foolish to get your hopes up. Even if sprint did send out this mysterious text message...who's to say it wouldn't restate the obvious "LTE COMING IN MID 2012!" or something like that? Although I'm still waiting it out before buying a phone...I was hoping for the best on 6/7.

I have a couple of big issues with this article. They are so bad, that it throws everything they did into question. Here is Quote #1:

Are they serious? Sprint is spending a billion dollars on 3G enhancements ahead of Network Vision. That's what network.sprint.com tracks. Also, Network Vision has billions of dollars in 3G enhancements, including DO Advanced. They should have called me for a quote. It's true they abandoned WiMax, but not 3G. This is journalistic malfeasance.

Here is Quote #2:

What? They criticize Sprint's slow 3G speeds with 1.4Mbps and 1.69Mbps download speeds? What? Those are great 3G speeds. And those are screaming 3G speeds compared to most urban/suburban locations on the Sprint network. If we all could get that, none of us would be complaining. Those are even good speeds on VZW 3G.

It's obvious that if they post things like this, they put no value in trying to investigate the issues they are reporting about the EVO LTE. No credibility in my book.

The way they "scientifically" tested the devices is so poor, that they should not have written an article about it. Did they verify if the EVO LTE was changing towers? That would be the most likely reason for changes in signal strength, not antenna issues.

Although I wouldn't rule out issues with the new EVO, but there is no way I would conclude there is based on this piss poor article. Sorry to rant, but I have major heartburn with the piece.

Robert

Yeah that is a piss poor article I agree.

And correct me if I am wrong but the evo lte being a brand new phone, it is going to take time to properly provision it with the network. It may even take a radio update or two before Sprint nails it on the head.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Hind sight is always 20/20...but it really was foolish to get your hopes up. Even if sprint did send out this mysterious text message...who's to say it wouldn't restate the obvious "LTE COMING IN MID 2012!" or something like that? Although I'm still waiting it out before buying a phone...I was hoping for the best on 6/7.

Maybe on the 21st with the SGS3 release??

Maybe on the 21st with the SGS3 release??

I hear that Apple is trying to pull another EVO and are trying to stop the SGS3 imports/sale.

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus 6.

I got a good chuckle out of what they said the PRL does. Close but no cigar. It's a list of cellular systems. A prl update isn't going to give you better signal unless of course they release one with the 800SMR band preferred first which isn't going to happen from what I saw when they had the Chicago area One in there.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

thats not true, you have several bands to choose from.... 1900mhz, 1900mhz, and 1900mhz

I dont see your comments on there any more.. Were they "moderated?"