Early Upgrade...for a price

iansltx

So...I'm impatient.

Just got off the phone with Sprint and "bought out" my upgrade eligibility from 8/1/12 to today, for $45. So, barring issues with my "SERO Premium" plan (I paid $10 more per month starting 10/1/10 in order to be able to use an Android device, plus another $10 for premium data, over the old $30 rate), I should be able to preorder a lovely blue 32GB Galaxy SIII later on today.

Yes, I could have waited until the phone is actually out to buy out my eligibility, or waited a month and a half beyond that and gotten my upgrade without paying a buyout fee. But, the way I figure, preordering the phone now will ensure that I get it as soon as Sprint possibly can send it (barring customs disputes, a la Evo 4G LTE). I'll also have that much less usage on the replacement OG Epic that I got yesterday, potentially increasing resale value enough to offset the $45.

Anyway, has anyone else checked out early-buyout opportunities in order to get an LTE phone soon and (relatively) cheaply? How long did you have before normal upgrade eligibility, and how much was the charge to move it up? Did you take it? Which phone are you going to grab with the newfound upgrade ability?

Oh, and if anyone wants a very gently used, albeit likely refurbished, OG Epic on or about 6/21, drop me a PM. A reasonable offer that's better than what I could get from Sprint is very likely to be accepted :) I'll even pre-root and install a custom ROM on it if you'd like (it's running stock Gingerbread for the moment).

• Like 5

I hope you won't be disappointed, because if it works like the EVO 3D worked for me on launch day you will have paid for a lemon. I would have waited rather than to have paid for an update and not be happy. You could have waited to make sure there were no bugs, or any other issues rather than to pay to be an early adopter of a bug plagued device and possibly not be happy with it.

Sprinted sent me an early update to buy the EVO 4G LTE, and I passed, for shits and giggles I tried to do that with the SGIII and it says my update isn't until July 1st, thjs is because I exchanged my EVO 3D for the Photon on that date. ROFL

I wont buy anything now until at least august I think...what ever works, and is bug free I will buy. If I want a MM device I can settle for iProducts! ;) lol

Edited by QWIKSTRIKE

I'm actually thinking about just buying the SIII outright, save my upgrade for the next big thing in a year. (quad core processor)

Wouldn't it make more sense to do the opposite? Since you pay approximately $20 per month in subsidies when you are on contract, you still pay that when you complete your contract. Sprint doesn't lower your bill $20 per month when you go month to month. You just don't get the $20 per month benefit.

It makes more sense in my mind to get the new device now on contract, and then next year buy the next device cash outright in the middle of your contract. You will save approximately $240 per line per year doing that (and it will help pay for the next device).

The only reason where it makes sense to do it the way you describe is if: A.) you know you won't be able to afford a new device cash price next year and you can now, or B.) you need to keep your options open and may leave to another carrier and not wanting to be committed to Sprint for another 24 months.

It's not likely that next year's devices will be more expensive. Cash price has not gone up much the past two years.That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Robert

• Like 2

Meh, I've bought a number of devices shortly after they came out. My 3rd-gen iPad (bought in a store before many had their online-shipped orders) is the latest one to come to mind. I think my MacBook was similar. I only waited on my Epic because Sprint didn't start SERO Premium until 9/30/10 or so. I played with Windows 7 on a first-gen MacBook Air before the taskbar changed from a carbon copy of Vista's, and used Vista in a production environment at RC2. My Epic has had leaked firmware on it nearly as much as it has had stock :P

So yeah, I know the crap that happens when you're an early adopter, and am prepared to deal with it. If I wanted a solid, somewhat bland phone I'd just get the Galaxy Nexus. But I want something with a microSD card slot :P

EDIT: I will also maintain the insurance plan that I've had since I came to Sprint nearly five years ago. When the device screws up, I'll hop over to the Sprint store a couple miles from where I'll be living, starting in August, and see if the store will make it right. There's a Panera right below the Sprint store so I can wait while they repair/replace :)

• Like 1

Meh' date=' I've bought a number of devices shortly after they came out. My 3rd-gen iPad (bought in a store before many had their online-shipped orders) is the latest one to come to mind. I think my MacBook was similar. I only waited on my Epic because Sprint didn't start SERO Premium until 9/30/10 or so. I played with Windows 7 on a first-gen MacBook Air before the taskbar changed from a carbon copy of Vista's, and used Vista in a production environment at RC2. My Epic has had leaked firmware on it nearly as much as it has had stock :P

So yeah, I know the crap that happens when you're an early adopter, and am prepared to deal with it. If I wanted a solid, somewhat bland phone I'd just get the Galaxy Nexus. But I want something with a microSD card slot :P

EDIT: I will also maintain the insurance plan that I've had since I came to Sprint nearly five years ago. When the device screws up, I'll hop over to the Sprint store a couple miles from where I'll be living, starting in August, and see if the store will make it right. There's a Panera right below the Sprint store so I can wait while they repair/replace :)[/quote']

I bought my 13" MacBook Pro about a week after they released. And it was 1st gen. 13" was just added to the Pro line in June 2009.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Quick update: my upgrade eligibility got moved up to 6/1/12. Just ordered the SIII (32GB, Blue). Fingers crossed, hoping it gets to me on launch day :)

From what I hear, I can keep my current (SERO Premium) plan by calling Sprint when I activate the device. Which means that I'll be paying ~$67 per month, inclusive of taxes and fees, for 500 minutes + any mobile + unlimited n/w + unlimited messaging and data (on LTE when it comes out) + unlimited calling to my parents' landline + insurance. Not bad, if I do say so myself.

Why is the parents' landline listed in there? I asked for 5pm nights and weekends as well as Pick 3 back in 2008...and got both added to my then-$30 SERO plan ($43.28 including insurance, taxes and fees). 5pm nights and weekends became unavailable when I went to SERO-P, and my parents' cells were two of the three Pick 3 numbers I picked, but that left me with unlimited calling to the number that I called most during college. End result: it's been a long time since I've used more than 100 anytime minutes :)

Oh yeah, and I'm looking forward to my new phone. The OG Epic is awesome and all that, but I want download speeds above 2 Mbps when NV comes out, and the added speed won't cost me anything extra per month since Premium Data was required when I got this phone anyway.

Quick update: my upgrade eligibility got moved up to 6/1/12. Just ordered the SIII (32GB, Blue). Fingers crossed, hoping it gets to me on launch day :)

Just got back from the Sprint store, did the same thing, $50 fee and they moved up my eligibility, pre-ordered mine before I made this post. Who's one happy camper.....this guy. :tu:

Wouldn't it make more sense to do the opposite? Since you pay approximately $20 per month in subsidies when you are on contract, you still pay that when you complete your contract. Sprint doesn't lower your bill $20 per month when you go month to month. You just don't get the $20 per month benefit.

It makes more sense in my mind to get the new device now on contract, and then next year buy the next device cash outright in the middle of your contract. You will save approximately $240 per line per year doing that (and it will help pay for the next device).

The only reason where it makes sense to do it the way you describe is if: A.) you know you won't be able to afford a new device cash price next year and you can now, or B.) you need to keep your options open and may leave to another carrier and not wanting to be committed to Sprint for another 24 months.

It's not likely that next year's devices will be more expensive. Cash price has not gone up much the past two years.That's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Robert

Robert, thanks for your advice, It really REALLY helped with my decision.

• Like 1

Man, these early upgrade posts make me want to go to a Sprint store and try to get one. Can't hurt I guess.. actual upgrade is 8/1/12

• Like 1

So how exactly do the early upgrade fees get priced? I have 5 lines and don't know if it is better to pay full retail or buyout early. we only have 5 out of 15 sprint LTE devices due to be released for 2012 out so far.

I am tempted to turn off insurance though since its $8/line per month (going up to $11/line) and there is also that pesky $100 deductible for replacement. Seeing as I will be replacing all of my devices anyway, should I even pay for the insurance at this point ($40-$55/month)

Man, these early upgrade posts make me want to go to a Sprint store and try to get one. Can't hurt I guess.. actual upgrade is 8/1/12

My eligibility was 8/1/12 as well. $45 moved it to 6/1/12. All it took was a call to customer service; the Sprint corp store I stopped by in Austin couldn't do it.

@JohnHovah, my guess is that the fee is priced per line, based on the number of months between now and your upgrade eligibility as it stands, rounded up to the nearest month. The cost appears to be lower than the prorated ETF per-line, but higher than the number of months between now and upgrade eligibility, multiplied by the ETF proration amount per month (someone correct me if I'm wrong here; I haven't looked into ETF calculations).

As for insurance, if you've got five lines, self-insure! At $55 per month for insurance, what's the chance that you'll need to replace two of the five phones in a two-year period with $550 models? Or, in reality, would you need to replace three with $00 phones (I guarantee you the Evo and the GSIII will be aorund that price in a few months off of eBay).

My eligibility was 8/1/12 as well. $45 moved it to 6/1/12. All it took was a call to customer service; the Sprint corp store I stopped by in Austin couldn't do it.

@JohnHovah, my guess is that the fee is priced per line, based on the number of months between now and your upgrade eligibility as it stands, rounded up to the nearest month. The cost appears to be lower than the prorated ETF per-line, but higher than the number of months between now and upgrade eligibility, multiplied by the ETF proration amount per month (someone correct me if I'm wrong here; I haven't looked into ETF calculations).

As for insurance, if you've got five lines, self-insure! At $55 per month for insurance, what's the chance that you'll need to replace two of the five phones in a two-year period with $550 models? Or, in reality, would you need to replace three with $00 phones (I guarantee you the Evo and the GSIII will be aorund that price in a few months off of eBay).

Thanks, that was my thought exactly. time to login to the old sprint account

Gah, I called customer service. No go for me. Maybe I wasn't persistent enough. But he said the best they could do was a 2 week move up date. So now instead of 8/1, its 7/16. No charge to do that. He mentioned this new phone coming out called the Galaxy S3, and with my 7/16 date I could upgrade and get that. I tried telling him, I want the upgrade now so I can pre-order that phone! But he seemed more confused as I talked to him.

Guess I can try again, who knows maybe I can get another two weeks knocked off!

The two magic words I used were "Buy Up". The support rep, at the beginning of the call, kept telling me that I couldn't move up my upgrade date, but once I made it clear that I was asking to buy the quicker upgrade (rather than getting it for free), he was able to check my account and put the early upgrade request through.

• Like 1

The two magic words I used were "Buy Up". The support rep, at the beginning of the call, kept telling me that I couldn't move up my upgrade date, but once I made it clear that I was asking to buy the quicker upgrade (rather than getting it for free), he was able to check my account and put the early upgrade request through.

Thanks, I'll give that a go when I call again!

If I am not mistaken, this link seems relevant. If so, "Buy Up" is being put down.

http://insidesprintnow.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/early-upgrade-buy-up-replaced-by-upgrade-now/

AJ