Network Vision/LTE - Kansas Market (including KC, Topeka, Wichita, St. Joseph)

Rickie546

New here' date=' from Lenexa, I've never checked before, but I do not see any eHRPD, only EvdoA. Although I have an EVO 3D at the moment, waiting on my EVO LTE. I do not know if that would make a difference?

Edit: I just realized this is from a month ago, so maybe not relavent any more.[/quote']

Also, the EVO 3D is incapable of connecting to eHRPD. Only LTE devices support it.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Also, the EVO 3D is incapable of connecting to eHRPD. Only LTE devices support it.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Robert, thanks for that. I've been running over these forums like crazy for the past few days, and hadn't come across that information, so I wasn't sure.

Can any other KC area members confirm that eHRPD is down today Monday 6/04? Only NID 00041 (KC-LENEXA-MSC_1) and NID 00042 (KC-LENEXA-MSC_2) seem to be affected. eHRPD is restored upon crossing back over to NID 00043 (KC-INDEPENDENCE-MSC_1).

AJ

what is eHRPD I have EVO LTE is it faster 3g

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

what is eHRPD I have EVO LTE is it faster 3g

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

It essentially takes your 3G EVDO connection and transmits it through the LTE core instead of the normal EVDO core. So you maintain a single IP address across EVDO and LTE. Maintaining your IP address can make a big difference when using apps that rely on single location connections, like a lot of mobile banking apps, if the IP address changes in the middle of your banking session it may kick you off, etc..

• 2 weeks later...

The map shows all of OP covered, but I have yet to see 4G light up on my EVO LTE yet and I've been from far south to far north, but nothing yet. Does there happen to be an accurate map showing exactly which towers are live? I mainly just want to make sure my phone is okay and there isn't something wrong.

The updates to the towers aren't complete. You're not the only one not seeing any LTE yet. I live in Lenexa, and only occasionally get a blip for a few seconds. However I was in Olathe along K-10 and K-7 and and had a consistent LTE signal. All we can do is wait for more towers, and hope that Sprint/Samsung/HTC lower the threshold for our phones to connect to LTE. I was at a sprint store where my friend works yesterday, she is having the same problem, and we decided that the phones think we are on the 'fringe' of the signal, even though we aren't, and are opting to connect to CDMA instead.

The map shows all of OP covered' date=' but I have yet to see 4G light up on my EVO LTE yet and I've been from far south to far north, but nothing yet. Does there happen to be an accurate map showing exactly which towers are live? I mainly just want to make sure my phone is okay and there isn't something wrong.[/quote']

We have in our Sponsor section maps of completed NV sites around the country.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Overland Park has been spotty for me too. Head west/south a little towards Olathe though and you will have really great LTE coverge, particularly between 119th and 151st on murlen through antioch.

Edited by yuhfhrh

This guy in overland park is getting great speeds skip to about 1:20

Assuming the speed test is the real deal, that is about as good as it gets, a maxed out connection in all facets: all Resource Blocks allocated to one user, 64-QAM, and two spatial channel MIMO.

AJ

Assuming the speed test is the real deal, that is about as good as it gets, a maxed out connection in all facets: all Resource Blocks allocated to one user, 64-QAM, and two spatial channel MIMO.

AJ

I can assure you that wwJoshDo is the real deal. It's great news for people in those markets because it proves that Sprint's peak lte speeds can hold their own against Verizon

I live at 151st and Nall, and get constant 4G connections on my EVO LTE phone. Go to the Price Chopper on 151st and Metcalfe, you might need to toggle your phone's airplane mode. The 2 towers I mainly connect to are located at 151st and 69 HWY and 159th and Mission. I also get service

I'm sure you've done this, but check and make sure your network is set to LTE/CDMA.

AJ

I have also hit those speeds before as well.

I live at 151st and Nall, and get constant 4G connections on my EVO LTE phone. Go to the Price Chopper on 151st and Metcalfe, you might need to toggle your phone's airplane mode. The 2 towers I mainly connect to are located at 151st and 69 HWY and 159th and Mission. I also get service

I'm sure you've done this, but check and make sure your network is set to LTE/CDMA.

I'm further north than you and it sounds like the strong signals being seen are all south. I'm in the 95th and Metcalf area and haven't seen anything yet.

I thought it was the custom ROM (mean ROM), but don't believe that is the case.

Has this changed in the last 5 days? I'd like to get a new phone and my Mom lives around 99th and Roe. Thjis seems to be a dead spot for EVDO and Wimax. LTE might be better. I'd like some info before I change.

Has this changed in the last 5 days? I'd like to get a new phone and my Mom lives around 99th and Roe. Thjis seems to be a dead spot for EVDO and Wimax. LTE might be better. I'd like some info before I change.

LTE should be similar to what you get with EVDO. Maybe a little bit better with RRUs. Currently, the LTE phones are switching back to 3G when the LTE signal weakens. Sprint will make some adjustments to the ratios that determine weather or not to switch back to 3G, but they haven't so far.

LTE should be better than Wimax unless the Wimax tower is closer than the Sprint tower.

I was just down there a couple of days ago, no LTE there yet.

No, LTE 1900 will not likely be any better. If anything, it might actually be weaker.

Your mom's home at 99th and Roe is almost exactly equidistant from three sites: 95th and Nall, 95th and Mission, and 103rd and Nall. Those sites are no more than three quarters of a mile from your mom's home. If you cannot get decent signal strength, that indicates other problems.

One, the subdivisions in the area are mature enough that they contain many large trees now. Two, to make matters worse, the 99th and Roe intersection is down in a valley. LTE will not solve these problems.

AJ

Mom actually doesn't live at the bottom of the valley. More like halfway up. 95th and Mission is potentially line of site except for trees, houses, etc. Strangely enough the Wimax is strongest in the southeast corner, must be because of trees. It also varies substantially by time of day, like the cells are overloaded. How many connections can LTE handle at once? Hopefully more than EVDO or Wimax. I've always wondered if it was a capacity issue.

• 1 month later...

So I drove out to Sedalia MO from St Louis today to check out the LTE. I had planned to take along a galaxy nexus to compare with iphone 5, but that didn't work out so I only got to see how the iphone worked.

I'm still in the process of uploading my screenshots and pictures to dropbox (via my slow ass dsl 512k upload since I don't have wimax available now), but I have 1 pic to start out with...

.dun

.dun

.duuuuhhnnn

17wvup.png

This was about the highest I got, alot were around 20 meg, and the rest were around 8 to 15ish.

I was going to use sensorly to try to flesh out the LTE borders, but it appears that the iphone version does not do any scanning or uploading of signal data, and I didn't have a working android phone so I wasn't able to do any of that.

I got a couple pictures of what I think were some lte towers at a distance and the water tower in town was covered in phone radio units.

From what time I spent, it appeared that it was mostly the north half of town that had LTE, the southern part appeared to be still 3g.

The iphone speed test app does not appear to distinguish between 3g/lte/ehrp, which kind of sucks, but it is pretty apparent where the 3g tests are.

@ Robert, I have the CSV file of the speed tests if it of any use/interest in triangulating where the known towers are, I can post or email it. I got 30some tests of the area.

I was both excited and disappointed at the same time. I know that sprint isn't going to have those impressively large download peaks that vz/att can get, but I also expected alot less of the <10 meg tests than I got.

On average it was probably double what I typically get with wimax (ie 12ish lte vs 6ish wimax), with those along with those nice ones over 20mbs.

Edited by dedub
  • Like 2

Excellent report. Thanks for the info. I have never delved into the CSV files before for SpeedTest. It would be interesting to check out. You can email it to the same address you get email notifications from. I would type it here, but it would likely end up in spam bot.

LTE is very signal strength dependent. So as you drove away from the sites, the speeds fell. We have three reported sites in the Sedalia area in our NV Sites Complete Map. So it will be interesting to see if your results line up with them, or if you maybe found a new site not on the completed list yet. :fingers:

Robert