Network Vision/LTE - Kansas Market (including KC, Topeka, Wichita, St. Joseph)

Rickie546

Yeah not bad but I ran a speed test on my T-Mobile nexus 7 waiting at sonic and got 60 down while my sprint phone had no LTE. So thats what i have to compare it to. I just want them to be able to compete. I have an LG G2.

Trust me Nathanfish86 as it is worth the wait for 8T8R Nokia baseband equipment to deploy in your area.  I was seeing only marginal LTE speeds and getting around 5-8 Mbps was considered awesome where I live.  Then when they started deploying the 8T8R equipment then I average around 20-30 Mbps downlink on my Nexus 5 and is only getting a Nokia equipment tower that is almost 5 blocks away from me!  It will come with due time.  There are a lot of factors to achieving those speeds!  I went to Omaha last week and it was only LTE B25 where I went and you can feel the constraints but I know Dkoellerwx is working hard (seriously mad props amigo!) on mapping and identifying more LTE 41 8T8R sites and plotting them on the maps!  

• Like 2

Awesome info guys. Thanks! The only thing that worries me is tower placement compared to work/home/bars I go to. No LTE at work is the reason I got my nexus 7. I guess I'll find out soon enough though!

Have you been a sponsor in the past? I can't remember. If not, I'd encourage donating a bit to help run the site, and then take a look at our market maps. You can see exactly where all the Sprint sites are which may help out in your decision.

The east side of wichita is atrocious. And when you look and see how spread out the towers are band 41 is going to do very little to help. If your not within a .5 - 1 mile of a tower on Rock or Webb expect poor service. A ticket was filed abt the service in the 13th and Webb area and Sprint claimed a engineer investigated but there wasnt anything that could be done immediately. Still waiting on a call back from executive customer service with more of an explanation. If your close to a tower service is ok, but if youre not close on the east side your phone is nearly worthless.

Here are a few places i know abt the service:

Twin peaks - sprint service is weak

Fox and hound - service sucks

Red robin - service sucks

Cabelas - decent - twr is across the st

Towne east mall - inside sucks

Old chicago by towne east - decent

Whole foods - sucks

Hopefully improvements are coming. sprint has some of the worst service in one of wealthiest areas of the city.

The east side of wichita is atrocious. And when you look and see how spread out the towers are band 41 is going to do very little to help. If your not within a .5 - 1 mile of a tower on Rock or Webb expect poor service. A ticket was filed abt the service in the 13th and Webb area and Sprint claimed a engineer investigated but there wasnt anything that could be done immediately. Still waiting on a call back from executive customer service with more of an explanation. If your close to a tower service is ok, but if youre not close on the east side your phone is nearly worthless.

Whole foods - sucks

Hopefully improvements are coming. sprint has some of the worst service in one of wealthiest areas of the city.

At least you can say that Sprint does not hate poor people!   :lol:

Whole foods - sucks

that is typically due to not being able to put a put towers in thoses areas, rich people don't like to see ugly things like cell towers. Yet they demand good cell service hmmmm

that is typically due to not being able to put a put towers in thoses areas, rich people don't like to see ugly things like cell towers. Yet they demand good cell service hmmmm

I have been telling this to folks since the beginning of time for cell service.  You want stealth no problem but you will probably see stealth like service (e.g. tower inside a church attic as you can only emit so much radio signals) and they wonder why cell phone service is not the best!  You can't have your cake and eat it too!  

• 5 weeks later...

Actually yes, I have started to pick it up. I talked to a guy who claimed he worked on the towers and he said they're done installing the equipment so it looks like we're just waiting for the sites to go live. The site I use the most is probably not a very congested site so I'm surprised to see that it already has B41 live. Maybe they're just firing them up that quick? IDK.

I have been telling this to folks since the beginning of time for cell service.  You want stealth no problem but you will probably see stealth like service (e.g. tower inside a church attic as you can only emit so much radio signals) and they wonder why cell phone service is not the best!  You can't have your cake and eat it too!  

If the cell phone companies would have an open dialogue with customers/residents they could probably get more towers in optimal places accomplished. There are tons of places to put towers that'd be of limited eyesore.

If the cell phone companies would have an open dialogue with customers/residents they could probably get more towers in optimal places accomplished. There are tons of places to put towers that'd be of limited eyesore.

What will end up happening is more of a shift toward small cells and DAS. This isn't a bad thing as much as it is a shift toward a different network methodology. Check out what EE is doing in Great Britain to deliver 4G LTE to rural areas without a mast:

Actually yes, I have started to pick it up. I talked to a guy who claimed he worked on the towers and he said they're done installing the equipment so it looks like we're just waiting for the sites to go live. The site I use the most is probably not a very congested site so I'm surprised to see that it already has B41 live. Maybe they're just firing them up that quick? IDK.

Pretty much every site in Wichita was slated for Band 41 within several months, and that was based of info from last month, so it's not too surprising if they have indeed nearly wrapped up installs. Especially since the Nokia equipment shortage ended. The congested site targeting has likely wrapped up, and they are expanding beyond that at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm picking up a better band 26 signal at a bar near my house but still only managed .2mb down from a -97dbm signal. Sucks because all my texts are through hangouts so if I don't have data I have no texts. Found that out the hard way taking I70 west last weekend.

Well I'm picking up a better band 26 signal at a bar near my house but still only managed .2mb down from a -97dbm signal. Sucks because all my texts are through hangouts so if I don't have data I have no texts. Found that out the hard way taking I70 west last weekend.

You do get EVDO roaming on I-70 via NexTech.

Sprints maps show spark coverage in warrensburg and sedalia is this correct?

Sedalia yes, Warrensburg, not sure. The site in Warrensburg is still a GMO, so not sure if Spark is even an option on that site. 

The Spark coverage is severely overstated in this market, showing Spark where LTE and EVDO doesn't even reach. I think the coverage in Warrensburg is bleeding over from other sites on Hwy 50 which do have Spark installed.

You do get EVDO roaming on I-70 via NexTech.

You might be surprised at the number of people who have domestic data roaming disabled on their handsets.  For some, that is the default setting they have never changed.  For others, roaming means additional charges -- old habits die hard.

AJ

• Like 2

I think they just turned B41 on in Topeka over the weekend.  MiFi 500 is now getting locked onto it and my speeds are crazy fast now, over 30mbit and as high as 42 down!

Signal really is bad though, hovers around -105dBm and I'm on the 7th floor in the middle of downtown!

Edited by gunterm

I think they just turned B41 on in Topeka over the weekend.  MiFi 500 is now getting locked onto it and my speeds are crazy fast now, over 30mbit and as high as 42 down!

Signal really is bad though, hovers around -105dBm and I'm on the 7th floor in the middle of downtown!

Great speeds for a mediocre signal.

They may have brought a new site online, but there has been Band 41 online around Topeka since December!

They may have brought a new site online, but there has been Band 41 online around Topeka since December!

I might have to have my Summer of 6&9 moment joy ride through Topeka just to see if we can discover any new developments on the B41 front!  Party on!!!!!!!

• Like 2