ok im sorry for calling that member an odd ball but im not that good with figuring out mbps but i didnt need he/she to be braging about it telling me i got it wrong we all make mistakes

I didn't take it that way. I make mistakes too when I post sometimes. I appreciate it, actually. Someone had to point out an error I made today.

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I recently purchased my Galaxy S III and have picked up these speed tests so far, though now it seems when i connect to 4G i am unable to use any data without it kicking me off and putting me back onto 3G which is frustrating but i am being patient seeing how it is only LTE's 2nd day. Anyway the highest speed here around 14 megs was obtained at the corner of Boudreaux and Hufsmith-Kohrville Rd

https://maps.google....&num=1&t=h&z=17

93x8n.png

s3b2C.png

Remember guys, The Houston network is nowhere close to being 100% coverage. There are only a couple of towers within the 610 loop that are active. It's a waiting game. Driving west on 610 loop south, driving west on 225, and then south on 146 i got constant 4g for a ways. Constant ~10mbps down/10mbps up .

Which btw, does anyone have a tentative "schedule" of when certain towers "should" be upgraded? Just wondering when the few towers in League City are going to be done, or how long I'm going to have to wait to get LTE at the gym ;-).

One other thing, I understand that they will be rolling out 800mhz in 1+ years, does this require new equipment on the sites as well or are they also preparing them for this right now? And what's the plan for the 800Mhz: CDMA, LTE, EVDO?

Also, there's a particular spot where when the lte was lit up before launch for testing or something, i was able to get 30mbps up/10mbps down. What has changed that I am now only getting ~10/10. Is this a speed cap?

Remember guys, The Houston network is nowhere close to being 100% coverage. There are only a couple of towers within the 610 loop that are active. It's a waiting game. Driving west on 610 loop south, driving west on 225, and then south on 146 i got constant 4g for a ways. Constant ~10mbps down/10mbps up .

Which btw, does anyone have a tentative "schedule" of when certain towers "should" be upgraded? Just wondering when the few towers in League City are going to be done, or how long I'm going to have to wait to get LTE at the gym ;-).

I can take a look (premiere sponsors can do this). Will shoot you a PM.

One other thing, I understand that they will be rolling out 800mhz in 1+ years, does this require new equipment on the sites as well or are they also preparing them for this right now? And what's the plan for the 800Mhz: CDMA, LTE, EVDO?

99% sure new equipment will have to be deployed, though 1xAdvanced at 800MHz is already going live in some places. EvDO will not be deployed on 800MHz...just 1xA now and LTE later.

Also, there's a particular spot where when the lte was lit up before launch for testing or something, i was able to get 30mbps up/10mbps down. What has changed that I am now only getting ~10/10. Is this a speed cap?

Probably just configuration issues. None of the "big four" caps data speeds to my knowledge, 3G or LTE, other than the 1.5M up WiMAX cap.

ill be glad when my donation is recognized' date=' because I could have sworn that I saw a tower that was supposed to be in my area (southwest near 59), but i need the interactive map now[/quote']

Your donation has been recognized for over an hour. I sent you an email when I couldn't figure out your screen name. But then I came across your PM. Thank you for supporting S4GRU.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Your donation has been recognized for over an hour. I sent you an email when I couldn't figure out your screen name. But then I came across your PM. Thank you for supporting S4GRU.

No, thank you for this useful and informing site. I had not yet come across the email, my apologies.

• Like 3

99% sure new equipment will have to be deployed, though 1xAdvanced at 800MHz is already going live in some places. EvDO will not be deployed on 800MHz...just 1xA now and LTE later.

I asked because on the interactive map there are pins for 3G/800.

any idea of when they will get around to upgrading 3g like the Samsung markets?

No. I do not have dates. I thought they would start before launch. However, I am hearing things in Atlanta that leads me to believe that some 3G is getting connected to NV backhaul and getting moving. However, I have not seen any official change of Ericsson site status to date that 3G is live (other than Waco). But I guess it is possible they may never status 3G complete on completed LTE sites.

A question for anyone that is knowledgeable about connections.

I connect to a tower that has lte and is only about 5 streets away and way under a mile away and if I go to the street that the tower is on, I can get an lte connection but when I'm at home, in still connected to that tower and have anywhere from 2-3 bars, but my question is

why won't it connect to lte and only stay on 3g and have 2-3 bars?

A question for anyone that is knowledgeable about connections.

I connect to a tower that has lte and is only about 5 streets away and way under a mile away and if I go to the street that the tower is on, I can get an lte connection but when I'm at home, in still connected to that tower and have anywhere from 2-3 bars, but my question is

why won't it connect to lte and only stay on 3g and have 2-3 bars?

Sprint and their OEM's need to adjust LTE thresholds. They are too high. Once you get to a midrange or weak signal, it will move over to EVDO if it is stronger. However, this is faulty logic. Even a weak LTE signal is better than most EVDO signals. I hope that Sprint has them lower the LTE threshold so LTE devices can keep a connection to weak signals, instead of being shunted to EVDO. In a WiMax device, this was easy to modify. But we have not been able to find a way on a LTE device yet to adjust the threshold. It most likely will need to happen via OTA.

Robert

Im very anxious to get to test the 4G in my area and around Houston. The couple of times I did connect, it was very very slow, so Im not sure if my phone is defective or what. Maybe I should have went with the S3 lmao.

Im very anxious to get to test the 4G in my area and around Houston. The couple of times I did connect, it was very very slow, so Im not sure if my phone is defective or what. Maybe I should have went with the S3 lmao.

PEBPAC

dont mind me, i am the village idiot.

Ouch man....funny, but ouch lol. Im not trying to rant or be demanding, Im just wondering if its the actual device that has issues due to the short connects to 4G. I spoke with Sprint today and the rep was actually helpful. He educated me to the fact that there were a few issues here in Houston with the lite up of LTE and that they were working diligently to fix it. He also stated that Sprint jumped the gun on the coverage map and that he has had a lot of calls on customers complaining that the "map shows coverage, but I have nothing". Its the articles that Robert posts that help us get educated on the workings of all this stuff. I love technology, but do not know enough about the whole "network thing" to be able to post useful information, be it speculative, objective or otherwise. Now, gimme a vehicle and I'll build you a race car...gimme a Harley, and I'll make you a custom.