Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

Do you guys think it is still worth it to get the SGSIII? My contract is up tomorrow, and the idea of a SGSIII has been tantalizing for a few months now, but the next flagship phones seem to be just around the corner. So, do you guys think that the Galaxy SIII will be relevant for about another year, or will the upcoming phones make it seem outdated?

I think the GS-III has the best shot of any Android device out there to remain relevant for a long time. And as long as you don't want a phablet (because the Note 2 is coming soon), then the GS3 is a great long term device.

Robert

• Like 4

+1 for the GSIII. It will have Jelly Bean in a month or two (the leaked Sprint ROM appears to be rock-solid) and at that point you've got a fast, full-featured device that, ahem, can latch onto Sprint's LTE network without a problem.

The only thing you'll possibly regret on the GSIII is when the next two LTE bands are added to Sprint phones, but that's not going to happen until the middle of next year or so.

• Like 1

I think the GS-III has the best shot of any Android device out there to remain relevant for a long time. And as long as you don't want a phablet (because the Note 2 is coming soon), then the GS3 is a great long term device.

Robert

+1 for the GSIII. It will have Jelly Bean in a month or two (the leaked Sprint ROM appears to be rock-solid) and at that point you've got a fast, full-featured device that, ahem, can latch onto Sprint's LTE network without a problem.

The only thing you'll possibly regret on the GSIII is when the next two LTE bands are added to Sprint phones, but that's not going to happen until the middle of next year or so.

Thanks guys for putting my mind at ease. Hopefully sometime this week I'll manage to get my GSIII (16gb Blue, with 32gb microSD card). Now, what's your guys' opinion on ordering a phone off of amazon wireless? I think it might be cheaper, but do they waive the activation fee and other things like Sprint does?

Thanks guys for putting my mind at ease. Hopefully sometime this week I'll manage to get my GSIII (16gb Blue, with 32gb microSD card). Now, what's your guys' opinion on ordering a phone off of amazon wireless? I think it might be cheaper, but do they waive the activation fee and other things like Sprint does?

I bought my E4GT on Amazon Wireless. It was as easy as buying from Sprint online in my instance. No issues whatsoever. Great experience.

Robert

• Like 1

Do you guys think it is still worth it to get the SGSIII? My contract is up tomorrow' date=' and the idea of a SGSIII has been tantalizing for a few months now, but the next flagship phones seem to be just around the corner. So, do you guys think that the Galaxy SIII will be relevant for about another year, or will the upcoming phones make it seem outdated?[/quote']

Its a great phone, but id encourage you to wait for sprint's black friday $50 promo.... at $149-$200 on upgrade, id almost rather cough up$300 ish for a gently used one on ebay and save the upgrade for release day of the next amazing device .

Its a great phone, but id encourage you to wait for sprint's black friday $50 promo.... at $149-$200 on upgrade, id almost rather cough up$300 ish for a gently used one on ebay and save the upgrade for release day of the next amazing device .

I would definitely wait for that if I really was able to wait another 1 and a half months for it. My Optimus S, as rooted and gutted and overclocked as it is, is getting quite long in tooth after two years of service. And I think I can get it for $120 from Amazon because my contract is completely up (still on a family plan though, so no $80 phone).

Finally rocking the GSIII, it took about an hour to get it done because of the way they did it since I wasn't eligible for an upgrade till June. Like it so far except for the nasty ringtones, I really like the classic single tone ringers, anyone know how to take care of that problem?

I would definitely wait for that if I really was able to wait another 1 and a half months for it. My Optimus S, as rooted and gutted and overclocked as it is, is getting quite long in tooth after two years of service. And I think I can get it for $120 from Amazon because my contract is completely up (still on a family plan though, so no $80 phone).

Sorry for double posting, but I looked around on ebay, and didn't see anything that would be worth it. Honestly, I'm not such a fanatic that I can't wait two years between flagships. Prime example: I am completely satisfied with my HP Touchpad with CM9 and would only get a new tablet because of the form factor, performance is still great. So hopefully later this week I can either haggle Sprint to giving me the SGSIII for cheap, or ordering from amazon wireless.

A little off topic, but does anyone know if the upcoming note 2 will support lte in the ESMR band, VoLTE or HD Audio? I haven't had the chance to check out the fcc filing, but since I have 5 lines I don't know whether to wait a little longer for some other device replacements. I love my S3, and will switch one out for the Note 2, but if I recall sprint was supposed to release 15 LTE devices this year and I don't believe we are there yet

A little off topic, but does anyone know if the upcoming note 2 will support lte in the ESMR band, VoLTE or HD Audio? I haven't had the chance to check out the fcc filing, but since I have 5 lines I don't know whether to wait a little longer for some other device replacements. I love my S3, and will switch one out for the Note 2, but if I recall sprint was supposed to release 15 LTE devices this year and I don't believe we are there yet

I'm not sure, you might want to check out this thread though. http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1271-samsung-galaxy-note-2/page__st__120

Yep. Been using it since Saturday night. I'd say it's 99% rock-solid, to the point that I'm not missing ICS in the least. Then again, I could be missing something major, since I haven't been paying close attention to my phone's ability to connect to LTE in the past few days (I'm just outside of LTE coverage for most of where I do stuff).

Yep. Been using it since Saturday night. I'd say it's 99% rock-solid, to the point that I'm not missing ICS in the least. Then again, I could be missing something major, since I haven't been paying close attention to my phone's ability to connect to LTE in the past few days (I'm just outside of LTE coverage for most of where I do stuff).

Ive been using it and mapping lte just fine using sensorly, only downside so far is occasional bsod, resolved by holding power button for 20 secs and rebooting the phone

Any of you guys using the Leaked LIF Sprint JB Update? Pretty cool!!

LINK if you want it...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2061-new-samsung-galaxy-s-iii-update/page__view__findpost__p__50176

Hey I am new to the whole smart phone thing. This is my first smart phone Galaxy S3. I was wondering was is a good sd card. I know micro sd but I am getting a 32gb. Does the class matter. I know 10 is fast but is it just based on your needs. I really don't think I would be doing anything extreme with it maybe some downloads of music and some pictures and that stuff is kind of something I don't really do. If I did anything with music it would probably be done on my mac and then transferred to the card. Thanks for your help.

Update: I think I am gonna go with a 32gb class 10. It is a store brand card but it is reasonable for 24.99 and they are a computer store that I always use for flash drives and computers. I hope that is a good decision in regards to a card but that is what I have read a few places to use. 32gb is probably more than adequate.

Edited by Antimatter
  • Like 1

Any fix or ideas for 4g connectivity issues? I get it that the phone will default to 3g if it's a better signal, but I haven't seen 4g unless I force it. I can force lte at my house and get AMAZING speeds

zajyvypu.jpg

But if I flip back to normal it will never connect to lte.

stock unrooted gs3

Any fix or ideas for 4g connectivity issues? I get it that the phone will default to 3g if it's a better signal' date=' but I haven't seen 4g unless I force it. I can force lte at my house and get AMAZING speeds

But if I flip back to normal it will never connect to lte.

stock unrooted gs3

[/quote']

Have you tried updating your PRL..??

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

Have you tried updating your PRL..??

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

Yup, no change. Can't get lte anywhere without forcing lte only, even messing around with different prls from the forums.

stock unrooted gs3

Sweet I just received my phone today and activation will be implemented and complete tomorrow. My phone says updated on the box so I would imagine it is fully up to date is there something I should look for to know for sure that it is? Thanks!

I'm look forward to getting this up and running and all settled in tomorrow. Anything like tips or tricks I need to know please let me know. THIS IS MY 1ST SMARTPHONE!

Thanks again.

Yup, no change. Can't get lte anywhere without forcing lte only, even messing around with different prls from the forums.

stock unrooted gs3

Prl changes will only help with roaming. Hence the name.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

<br /><br />Prl changes will only help with roaming. Hence the name. <br /><br />Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge
<br />Multiple sources and sprint reps have said that with the lte phones the prl will affect how your phone connects to the lte towers. First thing a sprint tech did was push a specific prl to my phone. <br /><br />http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php Edited by ajk511

<br />Multiple sources and sprint reps have said that with the lte phones the prl will affect how your phone connects to the lte towers. First thing a sprint tech did was push a specific prl to my phone. <br /><br />http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php

He knows. Digiblur is one of the first people to discover that Sprint LTE was PRL dependent. Digiblur is our resident PRL expert and owner of batonrougebroadband.info PRL analysis site.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

As long as you have one of the LTE enabled prls then you are good to go for LTE. Which prl do you have?

I have a little more time since work has kinda settled down a bit. I need to write up an little piece or faq on how prls work.

• Like 5

As long as you have one of the LTE enabled prls then you are good to go for LTE. Which prl do you have?

I have a little more time since work has kinda settled down a bit. I need to write up an little piece or faq on how prls work.

If you wanted to write an article about it, we would love to publish it here at S4GRU.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 3