Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

Anyone who is looking to take advantage of the maximum 64GB microSD card capability in the Galaxy S III should check out this sale that Amazon is having on Sandisk microSD cards: Amazon Gold Box Deal of the Day

Good find, Josh. Thanks!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Are batteries in Samsung phones interchangeable or each model has different.? I just got a extended battery for my nexus and it does require a different cover for someone who asked the question above. So it might because the battery might be slightly thicker.

Are batteries in Samsung phones interchangeable or each model has different.? I just got a extended battery for my nexus and it does require a different cover for someone who asked the question above. So it might because the battery might be slightly thicker.

The epic and epic touch had the same size and configuration batteries, they were different capacity though. The galaxy nexus battery is longer and has NFC, the standard battery has the same width, girth and connection configuration (plus NFC connection). Not sure about the S3.

The epic and epic touch had the same size and configuration batteries, they were different capacity though. The galaxy nexus battery is longer and has NFC. Not sure about the S3.

I can tell you that the GNex and S3 batteries are not interchangeable. Slightly different size. I just tried that the other day.

Robert

The S3 also has its NFC chip in the battery so even if you found one that would "fit" I don't believe it would be worth the hassle unless its OEM. Batteries these days are "smart" as well.

The S3 also has its NFC chip in the battery so even if you found one that would "fit" I don't believe it would be worth the hassle unless its OEM. Batteries these days are "smart" as well.

If it's a backup battery, I could live without NFC. I rarely use it as it is.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Two weird issues with my Galaxy S3 that I wanted to see if anyone knows anything about.

1. When I play mp3 files on my GS3, I get a popping/crackling sound...kinda like the sound a record player makes when the needle goes over a scratch on an vinyl record (I realize that comparison may be lost on some of you.) The files aren't corrupted because I know they work when I transfer them to other devices. In fact, when I loaded WinAmp on my GS3, they play without the popping sound, so there doesn't seem to be a hardware issue...maybe? Now that may seem like the problem is solved, but I don't really like WinAmp's interface. So I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

2. Yesterday, I got home and my phone was getting a horrible signal. The previous day, I had been basking in the glow of a recent NV upgrade in my neighborhood and had for the first time had a solid LTE signal inside my house. So I started experimenting. I toggled airplane mode and then back...still horrible. I toggled the data network off and on...no improvement. I even restarted the phone...crappy signal. I was about ready to cry in my beer when I tried updating the PRL...and it worked. I had a beautiful LTE signal with fast transfer rates and the signal strength was in the -85 dBm ballpark (although, I think I've read here on S4GRU that the signal strength doesn't tell you the 4G LTE strength, but still...it means I could make a phone call if I wanted to.) I instantly chalked it up to coincidence, because the PRL version number didn't change and updatIng the "preferred roaming list" shouldn't do anything, right?

So tonight, I pull into my driveway and all I see is a 3G signal with barely a bar at all (signal strength ~ -100 dBm). The first thing I tried was updating the PRL. As soon as it was done "updating," the 4G signal came on and my signal strength was about -80 dBm. It's been working ever since. I'm mystified. I don't have enough data points to even call this a trend, so I'll do more experiments. But is there any possible way that "updating" the PRL could help the phone acquire the signal better?

Oh and one last thing. My phone isn't rooted or anything like that. It's original stock 32 GB memory with the LG8 OTA update. And it's pebble blue--just in case you're fond of incorporating irrelevant data.

Sent from my GS3 on Tapatalk 2

/snipped/

The record comparison isn't lost on me, even if most of my music hasn't seen anything more physical than a hard drive platter or an Ethernet cable :P

I seem to recall the slight skipping issue while playing music on the phone using one of the stock players. However it's been awhile since I tested it as WinAmp's crappy UI is more than balanced by its gapless, flawless playback capabilities (for me anyway...and yes I paid $5 for gapless playback). I also haven't had issues with AmazonMP3. Maybe the stock player is just CPU-intensive or memory-intensive, and you need to quit some background apps?

Stock 32GB updated pebble blue here too :)

• Like 1

Two weird issues with my Galaxy S3 that I wanted to see if anyone knows anything about.

1. When I play mp3 files on my GS3' date=' I get a popping/crackling sound...kinda like the sound a record player makes when the needle goes over a scratch on an vinyl record (I realize that comparison may be lost on some of you.) The files aren't corrupted because I know they work when I transfer them to other devices. In fact, when I loaded WinAmp on my GS3, they play without the popping sound, so there doesn't seem to be a hardware issue...maybe? Now that may seem like the problem is solved, but I don't really like WinAmp's interface. So I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

2. Yesterday, I got home and my phone was getting a horrible signal. The previous day, I had been basking in the glow of a recent NV upgrade in my neighborhood and had for the first time had a solid LTE signal inside my house. So I started experimenting. I toggled airplane mode and then back...still horrible. I toggled the data network off and on...no improvement. I even restarted the phone...crappy signal. I was about ready to cry in my beer when I tried updating the PRL...and it worked. I had a beautiful LTE signal with fast transfer rates and the signal strength was in the -85 dBm ballpark (although, I think I've read here on S4GRU that the signal strength doesn't tell you the 4G LTE strength, but still...it means I could make a phone call if I wanted to.) I instantly chalked it up to coincidence, because the PRL version number didn't change and updatIng the "preferred roaming list" shouldn't do anything, right?

So tonight, I pull into my driveway and all I see is a 3G signal with barely a bar at all (signal strength ~ -100 dBm). The first thing I tried was updating the PRL. As soon as it was done "updating," the 4G signal came on and my signal strength was about -80 dBm. It's been working ever since. I'm mystified. I don't have enough data points to even call this a trend, so I'll do more experiments. But is there any possible way that "updating" the PRL could help the phone acquire the signal better?

Oh and one last thing. My phone isn't rooted or anything like that. It's original stock 32 GB memory with the LG8 OTA update. And it's pebble blue--just in case you're fond of incorporating irrelevant data.

Sent from my GS3 on Tapatalk 2[/quote']

1. I use PowerAmp on my GS3 and haven't had any issues. I even hook mine up to our church sound system. I haven't really tried other players though.

2. Your signal strength indicator doesn't show the LTE signal strength, even when it says 4G in the indicator. It is only showing the 1x signal strength. You can go to System > Settings > About Device > Status and see the LTE actual signal strength measured in dBms.

Also, PRL's do not control LTE at all. Your embedded SIM card controls LTE. The PRL only effects 1x and EVDO. However, after you update a PRL, it shuts down all connections and rescans them all. It sounds like to me that your device is hanging on to a distant 1x site somewhere and doesn't want to rescan for a closer, stronger signal. When you update your PRL, you're forcing your device to rescan.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 2

The record comparison isn't lost on me, even if most of my music hasn't seen anything more physical than a hard drive platter or an Ethernet cable :P

I seem to recall the slight skipping issue while playing music on the phone using one of the stock players. However it's been awhile since I tested it as WinAmp's crappy UI is more than balanced by its gapless, flawless playback capabilities (for me anyway...and yes I paid $5 for gapless playback). I also haven't had issues with AmazonMP3. Maybe the stock player is just CPU-intensive or memory-intensive, and you need to quit some background apps?

Stock 32GB updated pebble blue here too :)

I tried the AmazonMP3 app just now and found that it didn't have the popping and crackling. I guess it's just the stock music app has some issues with mp3 files.

Anyone who is looking to take advantage of the maximum 64GB microSD card capability in the Galaxy S III should check out this sale that Amazon is having on Sandisk microSD cards: Amazon Gold Box Deal of the Day
Looking at this from my phone they look like full size SD cards and not micro. Are my eyes deceiving me?

Looking at this from my phone they look like full size SD cards and not micro. Are my eyes deceiving me?

Your eyes are not deceiving you. Looks like they ran out of their on-sale stock of microSD cards.

Your eyes are not deceiving you. Looks like they ran out of their on-sale stock of microSD cards.

Wow, that was fast.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Then they've been out since Mon. night cause the page hasn't changed since then. I was going to get my cards from Amazon but ended up getting 2 32GB from Best Buy on Tues.

http://www.amazon.co...pd_rhf_ee_p_t_1

That is still a pretty good deal for a 64GB MircoSD I would think?

I'm almost tempted to pick one up. But I have 32s in 4 of my devices now;;

http://www.amazon.co...pd_rhf_ee_p_t_1

That is still a pretty good deal for a 64GB MircoSD I would think?

I'm almost tempted to pick one up. But I have 32s in 4 of my devices now;;

I got mine for only $50 a piece.

I got mine for only $50 a piece.

Nice. I'd get them at $62 since I have free 2-day shipping(Prime) and no tax, still better then most places

The wife called me and she said her phone shut off and rebooted. It didn't update or anything like that. No weird text on screen. When it started back up it was factory reset. Clean and fresh out of the box she said. I know just a few days ago she said it corrupted some of her pictures she took. She thanked me for the drop box auto camera upload as they were on there to retrieve.

So I had her factory reset herself and all is well. Glad I never touch that thing with any software! I otherwise I would be blamed.. I am thinking of writing a bunch of files to the memory and filling it up then checking the files to make sure they are good. Hope it was just a fluke with something on the flash memory.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

hmmm i got prime and i only see it for 61.73 where does on get it for $50

prior amazon and best buy sales that have since past. don't worry I am sure they will go on sale again for even cheaper. just wait until the 128gb come out