Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

Just received the update this morning. Brightness adjustment in the notification bar is nice.

Also received the flip cover case this afternoon, via UPS. Love it. Compliments the GS3 perfectly.

• Like 2

Just received the update this morning. Brightness adjustment in the notification bar is nice.

Also received the flip cover case this afternoon, via UPS. Love it. Compliments the GS3 perfectly.

which flip cover are you using? I decided on the slim "portfolio" cover with minimal protection for the time being

I picked up this one

http://www.samsung.c.../EFC-1G6FBEGSTA

OEM from Samsung. But I got it from handhelditems.com, with a promo code shipped I think I paid lke $27

that's the same one i purchased. it's pretty nice so far. although i received a 50% accessory discount in the sprint store

that's the same one i purchased. it's pretty nice so far. although i received a 50% accessory discount in the sprint store

I bought mine in a Sprint store with a 50% discount too. I think it was $39 before the discount.

Robert

Still no update OTA. This is nuts....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

Your sig says your GS3 is rooted, which means you would have to take extra steps installing the update anyway. Why don't you just go ahead and do it all now yourself with a downloaded copy of the update zip file?

• Like 1

Talking bout updates..... I recieved the notification but had an error when it was installing..... Any idea why... I have an htcEVO4g btw....

Thanx!!!

sent using my htcEVO4g fk'n superphone

Talking bout updates..... I recieved the notification but had an error when it was installing..... Any idea why... I have an htcEVO4g btw....

Thanx!!!

You are certainly better off asking about this in an EVO forum. Your sig says you're running a custom ROM, which probably is a big factor. In general, I think OTA updates are meant for stock devices.

You are certainly better off asking about this in an EVO forum. Your sig says you're running a custom ROM, which probably is a big factor. In general, I think OTA updates are meant for stock devices.

Ok bro...thanks...:D

Your sig says your GS3 is rooted' date=' which means you would have to take extra steps installing the update anyway. Why don't you just go ahead and do it all now yourself with a downloaded copy of the update zip file?[/quote']

Im not rooted any longer.....should probably make time to change that.....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

I finally received the LG8 update this morning. The brightness adjuster in the drop down is pretty neat. Now I'm ready to go LTE testing on Labor Day weekend in Waco.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I finally received the LG8 update this morning. The brightness adjuster in the drop down is pretty neat. Now I'm ready to go LTE testing on Labor Day weekend in Waco.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I remember on the other Samsung phones you just manually download the update from somebody finding the link on Google's servers from another phone log that updated. Reboot the phone and boom it updated. No waiting.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I remember on the other Samsung phones you just manually download the update from somebody finding the link on Google's servers from another phone log that updated. Reboot the phone and boom it updated. No waiting.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

It's not quite that easy, but close. If your phone is stock you just have to download the update zip file to the root of your external SD card. Don't unzip it. You don't even have to rename it like you used to do in the old days.

Then apply the update from the recovery menu:

1. Power off the phone.
  2. Get to recovery mode with a combination of holding Volume Up, Power and Home for a few seconds.
  3. Release these keys the moment you get the first splash screen. (If you hold too long, you will just reboot with no action.)
  4. Using the Volume rocker pick the option to "apply update from external storage"
  5. Press the Power button to execute
  6. After the update is applied, reboot.

The update zip file is typically available on multiple forums soon after Sprint starts pushing it out. Here is a link a XDA.

Does anyone know if the S3 needs to be cdma/LTE toggled or airplane toggled to pick up its first LTE signal?

I thought if I just keep it on the cdma/LTE and request data it will seamlessly go between the two as I drive around. I assume the indicator on the phone will notify me of 4G in a area.

I read of forcing it to LTE but that seems silly unless you are just testing.

Does anyone know if the S3 needs to be cdma/LTE toggled or airplane toggled to pick up its first LTE signal?

I thought if I just keep it on the cdma/LTE and request data it will seamlessly go between the two as I drive around. I assume the indicator on the phone will notify me of 4G in a area.

I read of forcing it to LTE but that seems silly unless you are just testing.

The toggle reportedly is/was necessary on the older LG2 firmware, but not with the latest LG8 firmware. You do have to make sure that the LTE setting is turned on, though.

• Like 1

Grabbed an extended extra battery + charger ($50 + tax...eep) from the Sprint store today, since I'll be using GPS on my phone a good bit and thus may need two batteries to ensure that my phone is always functional, even at the end of the day after a hard run.

The battery charger/stand is well-built, though the built-in phone cradle has no electrical interface; it's just a groove that's appropriately dimensioned to hold an SIII. Behind this groove is a covered pocket for a battery, and on the rear of the device you have a microUSB port. The battery+charger combo includes a microUSB charger (one-piece; there's no full-sized USB port here).

The lack of a charge connector for the phone in the Samsung cradle means that I now have two microUSB connectors on my desk (one for the charger, one for the phone), but it also means that if I wanted to put the phone into the dock in portrait mode, I could. As it stands though, horizontal (desk clock) orientation makes a lot more sense.

Grabbed an extended battery + charger (50 + tax...eep) from the Sprint store today' date=' since I'll be using GPS on my phone a good bit and thus may need two batteries to ensure that my phone is always functional, even at the end of the day after a hard run.

The battery charger/stand is well-built, though the built-in phone cradle has no electrical interface; it's just a groove that's appropriately dimensioned to hold an SIII. Behind this groove is a covered pocket for a battery, and on the rear of the device you have a microUSB port. The battery+charger combo includes a microUSB charger (one-piece; there's no full-sized USB port here).

The lack of a charge connector for the phone in the Samsung cradle means that I now have two microUSB connectors on my desk (one for the charger, one for the phone), but it also means that if I wanted to put the phone into the dock in portrait mode, I could. As it stands though, horizontal (desk clock) orientation makes a lot more sense.[/quote']

Does the extended battery need a bigger cover, or does it fit in the standard cover?

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Edited my original post to reflect the fact that the battery is just another 2100 mAh one. It isn't actually an extended battery. Sorry for the confusion.

Awww. I was going for a bigger battery, lol.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

• Like 1