Samsung Galaxy S III

Jayman

Higher frequency signals, like the ones Sprint uses, tend to fluctuate more than lower frequency signals. This is because of wavelength and weaker propagation. Even a small shift in the device's position or a change in the positions of the objects in the signal's path can cause the instantaneous signal strength to swing by 20 dBm or more. If the device is on a call or active data session, a few packets or frames may be lost, but the connection generally doesn't drop because the strongest drops tend to be short-lived, and oftentimes there are alternative cells to connect to.

However, when there is no active connection, a deep signal drop could trigger the phone to look for a roaming signal, even if the drop is just from fluctuation. It depends on the threshold (the higher the threshold, the more likely the signal will drop below it), and the algorithm that smooths signal strength readings over a period of time. Algorithms that have short time windows and weight the most recent reading heavily will cause the displayed signal to fluctuate more widely than ones that try to average the strength over a longer period of time.

I think the Galaxy S III has both a higher roaming threshold and a shorter sample window than the Epic 4G Touch did. Because of this, it is more likely to roam when in an area where signal strength is relatively weak and tends to fluctuate. If this is indeed the case, personally, I like the higher threshold, but feel like the raw signal strength should be more temporally smoothed.

I'm not ready to release final info on our radio performance article, but I can definitely say at this point the GS3 is a solid radio performer. If you are having signal problems in comparison with other devices in exactly the same settings, you may have a device problem.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

That's good to know. Interested in seeing how it compares to the Epic 4G Touch.

So this is a little bit off topic, but I have a SG3 that is replacing my OG Evo. I have headphones (Klipsch Reference One) that has controls/microphone with it. On my EVO, it worked great taking and placing calls. With the SG3, if the headphones are connected and place/receive a call it will not go through the headset. If during the call I disconnect/reconnect the headset, I can then hear the call but the microphone is still inoperative. So...any of you tech heads have any suggestions? I tried Headset Droid to no avail.

I've had problems with non-Samsung parts. I even had to replace my universal car charger that wasn't Samsung.

I have also noticed that after I unplug headphones, I have to pull down the top menu, and cycle through the sound settings to get all my ambient sounds to come back and work. Lock and unlock sounds, and selection sounds....etc.

I've had problems with non-Samsung parts. I even had to replace my universal car charger that wasn't Samsung.

I have also noticed that after I unplug headphones, I have to pull down the top menu, and cycle through the sound settings to get all my ambient sounds to come back and work. Lock and unlock sounds, and selection sounds....etc.

Well, that's a bummer. I have read some other forums that mention that the connection point for the headphones may be different than most other phone. Whereas my headset would be left/right/mic, the female point would be set up as mic/left/right or something along those lines. Very annoying. I absolutely love the headphones that I have and really don't want to have to drop more $$$ just for a compatible set.

Don't get me wrong, the headphones will work out of the jack...you just won't have any functions of the in-line buttons....

I have to ask though...whats wrong with the buds that come with the phone. I still use the ones from my OG EPIC 4G, they're not bad quality at all....

I have three different sets of in-ears now...some silver Koss that I bought at Wal-Mart for $25 (no headset), some Skullcandy Smokin' Buds (with the headset...$10 online) and the ones that came with the SIII. Of the three, the Koss 'buds have better sound quality than the other two, though the Skullcandies are close and include a mic. So I use the Koss ones when listening to music, and the Skullcandies for making calls. The latter work just fine, and worked just fine with my OG Epic (and yes, I'm aware of the different TRRS mic vs. ground configurations).

Don't get me wrong, the headphones will work out of the jack...you just won't have any functions of the in-line buttons....

I have to ask though...whats wrong with the buds that come with the phone. I still use the ones from my OG EPIC 4G, they're not bad quality at all....

I'm just a fan of the earbuds...I prefer the old skool headphones.

Is anyone else having problems with sound not playing over the speaker after disconnecting headphones...?

Yes, but when I wake up the screen it start playing. I think this may be by design

I have issues where it wont reconnect to a remembered network. For example....I walk to get the mail...lose connection...walk back to the house...3G has taken over....wifi is still on....wont reconnect. I have to turn wifi off, then back on again to reconnect. Sometimes have to forget the network and let the phone rediscover it all over again.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

I am having this issue as well. The wifi is on but will not reconnect to the remembered network. I have had to reboot after trying to reconnect, disabling wifi, deselecting the optimizer, and it still wouldn't reconnect. I was 10 feet from the router so it was a strong signal. I was not having any issue prior to the last software update OTA.

One other question...I swear I was able to go in and set times that my notifications (text, email, etc.) would not audibly notify. I have been digging around on the phone and on Google and just can't find it. Am I just crazy?!

And yes, I meant to say I "AM NOT" crazy about the earbuds! :)

• Like 1

One other question...I swear I was able to go in and set times that my notifications (text, email, etc.) would not audibly notify. I have been digging around on the phone and on Google and just can't find it. Am I just crazy?!

And yes, I meant to say I "AM NOT" crazy about the earbuds! :)

I would even settle for a single event notification at this point, not the sound for each and every email, text, etc. If I heard it the first time and havent checked yet, you do not have to notify me of every single email

I am having this issue as well. The wifi is on but will not reconnect to the remembered network. I have had to reboot after trying to reconnect' date=' disabling wifi, deselecting the optimizer, and it still wouldn't reconnect. I was 10 feet from the router so it was a strong signal. I was not having any issue prior to the last software update OTA.[/quote']

You probably just didnt notice it until now. This was happening out of the box for me.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

BAM! Software Update

L710VPLG4 7/25/12

http://support.sprin...TNAV=SU:DP:HDIA

Hopefully this resolves those issues.

The item in the release notes that most GS3 users in LTE markets are probably most interested in is this one:

Optimized LTE system selection

Lets hope it cures the LTE/EVDO threshold problem on this model.

• Like 1

The item in the release notes that most GS3 users in LTE markets are probably most interested in is this one:

Lets hope it cures the LTE/EVDO threshold problem on this model.

and hope the EVO LTE gets an update as well..(in east Wichita, i had to toggle to get the 4g)

BAM! Software Update

L710VPLG4 7/25/12

http://support.sprin...TNAV=SU:DP:HDIA

Hopefully this resolves those issues.

- KI – Touch Wiz home has stopped

- Single picture MMS no longer displayed as slideshow

- Optimized LTE system selection

- Enhanced Smart Stay function

- Enhanced Voice recognition algorithm

- All-Share Cast (All-share accessory hub) support

- Music Hub support

- Security Fixes

Anyone got a download link for the firmware yet? Or could someone send the file to me when you get it? My phone isn't picking up the update yet.

Can't update yet either. Says it's up to date. Maybe the update is not released yet.

Can't update yet either. Says it's up to date. Maybe the update is not released yet.

Typically not all users get it immediately.

But there are bigger issues confusing everyone. Some users who have got the update say it is named LG8, Not LG4 as the announcement said. So either the update or the announcement is wrong. Sprint has been notified and is investigating

Anyone got a download link for the firmware yet? Or could someone send the file to me when you get it? My phone isn't picking up the update yet.

Found a download link for the update.zip at XDA.

BTW, LG8 is the correct version. Sprint's original announcement erroneously called it LG4.

I am having this issue as well. The wifi is on but will not reconnect to the remembered network. I have had to reboot after trying to reconnect, disabling wifi, deselecting the optimizer, and it still wouldn't reconnect. I was 10 feet from the router so it was a strong signal. I was not having any issue prior to the last software update OTA.

I think this is a Samsung issue seeing as I have the same problem at times

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2