9erHater

Awesome!! But I'm considering waiting for the 10" Nexus Tab. Gah never owned a tablet but now I really want one!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I might get the nexus 10 incher... I'll probably go for the Microsoft Surface instead.

OK, so test one: playing video off internal memory = over 7 hours. I am charging up and when I get another large chunk of time, I will test playing video off the external HD.

I left WiFi on the whole time and had e-mail programs and other programs synching, so you might get more time out of the battery, but that is what I got.

Also, "Fido" is a pretty amusing zombie movie. That was one of the movies I played in the 7 hours.

Never heard of "Fido" but I will take your word on it. I had a weird experience with my nexus 7 today. I bought a book on amazon today and opened it up on my kindle app. I spent a large part of my day reading the whole book, maybee 7-8 hours. By the time I got done my vision was blurred and I was see like a shadow image of every thing. Couldn't even read web pages on my computer with out zooming them out to 150% or greater.

I used to read all day on my phone with no problems, this had me freaking out never had anything like this happen.

I closed my eyes for a hour didn't sleep and my vision was restored to normal.

Something about the display that really fatigued my eyes, never had a experience like this before. Its not uncommon for me to read a whole book on my days off I read a lot.

Never heard of "Fido" but I will take your word on it. I had a weird experience with my nexus 7 today. I bought a book on amazon today and opened it up on my kindle app. I spent a large part of my day reading the whole book, maybee 7-8 hours. By the time I got done my vision was blurred and I was see like a shadow image of every thing. Couldn't even read web pages on my computer with out zooming them out to 150% or greater. I used to read all day on my phone with no problems, this had me freaking out never had anything like this happen. I closed my eyes for a hour didn't sleep and my vision was restored to normal. Something about the display that really fatigued my eyes, never had a experience like this before. Its not uncommon for me to read a whole book on my days off I read a lot.

Wierd. I wonder what caused it. I haven't read a book on the N7 yet.

As far as Fido, I am a fan of the zombie genre, and Fido is entertaining. It's not scary by any means, not laugh out loud funny, but it held my attention the whole time.

I am going to guess it was the glare from the screen. I was reading books on my evo shift, now on my evo 4g lte, and both have some glare from there screens, but the screens are so much smaller than the nexus 7. The glare from the larger screen is probably what got me. My vision was so blurred that I was having a hard time making out traffic signs clearly. I went and order a case and screen protectors from amazon this morning, one of the screen protectors is anti-glare hoping this will take care of the problem.

OK' date=' so test one: playing video off internal memory = over 7 hours. I am charging up and when I get another large chunk of time, I will test playing video off the external HD.

I left WiFi on the whole time and had e-mail programs and other programs synching, so you might get more time out of the battery, but that is what I got.

Also, "Fido" is a pretty amusing zombie movie. That was one of the movies I played in the 7 hours.[/quote']

Second test is complete. With the 500gb external hard drive attached and watching movies from that, I was able to get about half the play time as when I was watching videos from the device storage. I got 3 and a half hours from it in my unscientific test. As with the first test, I left WiFi and everything else running. Next up will be a thumb drive.

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

Pyro I'm so glad I clicked on this thread and saw your pics. I've got a 2TB and a 500GB drive with movies I've not watched in a while. I'm gonna have a ball with this.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

Because you have a Nexus 7 (or similar future tablet), would that make you consider for your next phone a basic handset that simply makes calls, sends SMS, and tethers? Here is an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.zdnet.com/the-nexus-7-will-drastically-change-the-way-i-buy-mobile-phones-7000001359/

AJ

Because you have a Nexus 7 (or similar future tablet), would that make you consider for your next phone a basic handset that simply makes calls, sends SMS, and tethers? Here is an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.zdnet.com...nes-7000001359/

AJ

I can't see my self doing that. It would force me to carry two devices where ever I go.

Third test is complete. I used a microSD with a USB adapter and got 5 and a half hours on a charge.

So far the results have been:

Internal Media - 7+ hours

microSD with USB adapter - 5.5 hours

External HD - 3.5 hours

Now, disclaimer, this is informal testing. I have been using a variety of movies with different compression and formats. It is just a generalization.

I just got my cover in the mail today, so I will be reviewing that and conducting my thumbdrive test later today.

• Like 1

OK, I had originally thought I could go without a cover on the Nexus 7, until I found the Poetic Slimbook cover on Amazon for under $7 shipped. The case has not disappointed at all, but how can you for disappoint for $6.95? The smart cover capabilities work great and are a nice feature (see attached video for a short demonstration). The cover is held in place with magnets that fit firmly, but not too firm, you can hear the magnets snap in the video too. The case adds some weight and girth to the tablet, but compared to previous tablet cases I have had for my previous tablets, one being an otterbox, it is really minimally invasive. The leather and stitching seem high quality, as well as the hand strap. All ports, buttons, speaker and camera are open and accessible. The volume rocker and power button are a little tougher to access since the side of the nexus has a curve to it, but with smart cover tech, I can't see myself using them that terrible much. The hand strap works well and the "kickstand" abilities of this case work better than my other leather case that I had for the Kindle Fire. The case appears to be able to withstand a fall and give protection to the N7. The edges have leather protruding outward, which should cushion the fall if it lands on a side or corner, and the case has a little padding if it falls flat on the front or back.

http://www.amazon.co...x_ya_os_product

All in all, it is a great value for $6.95 and probably still worth it for $12.95 which it has shot up to now. It will be good for me until something cool comes out, like a case with a backup battery, microSD slot and USB port or something like that...

Front

3sgwn.jpg

Back

4n6h2.jpg

Bottom

28vglj9.jpg

Power and volume

IMG_20120726_143017.jpg

Microphone and pogo pins

IMG_20120726_143027.jpg

Flat

IMG_20120726_143045.jpg

Open

IMG_20120726_143109.jpg

Hand strap

IMG_20120726_143130.jpg

In hand with handstrap

IMG_20120726_143142.jpg

Kickstand

IMG_20120726_143333.jpg

Standing up

IMG_20120726_143347.jpg

Video of smart cover capabilities

• Like 2

http://www.amazon.co...x_ya_os_product

All in all, it is a great value for $6.95 and probably still worth it for $12.95 which it has shot up to now. It will be good for me until something cool comes out, like a case with a backup battery, microSD slot and USB port or something like that...

Nice case. I originally bought a Targus case designed for the Samsung Galaxy 7 at Office Depot as it was on sale for 50% off at the time (http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/417028/Targus-Truss-Case-Stand-For-7/). It's a nice case, but it really muffles the sound and the headphone jack is hard to get to. Plus, it doesn't have the magnetic "smart cover".

I ended up ordering the Blurex case off Amazon a few days ago ($12.99 + $3.98 shipping)

(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D2Q8RG/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2C_ST1_3p_dp_1). It is designed for the Nexus 7 so it won't have the same issues with blocking the speaker or headphone jack. Plus it's got the smart feature as well. It looks very similar to the one you got, but it doesn't have the handstrap feature.

I'll post a review of it once I get it in my hands (probably sometime next week).

• Like 1

Nice case. I originally bought a Targus case designed for the Samsung Galaxy 7 at Office Depot as it was on sale for 50% off at the time (http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/417028/Targus-Truss-Case-Stand-For-7/). It's a nice case' date=' but it really muffles the sound and the headphone jack is hard to get to. Plus, it doesn't have the magnetic "smart cover".

I ended up ordering the Blurex case off Amazon a few days ago (12.99 + 3.98 shipping)

(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008D2Q8RG/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M2C_ST1_3p_dp_1). It is designed for the Nexus 7 so it won't have the same issues with blocking the speaker or headphone jack. Plus it's got the smart feature as well. It looks very similar to the one you got, but it doesn't have the handstrap feature.

I'll post a review of it once I get it in my hands (probably sometime next week).

That looks like a good one. To be honest, I don't know how much use I will get out of the hand strap...

From JBtoro on Forum Runner

Fourth test is complete. I have arrived at the conclusion that I will use external media for storage and just copy it to the internal media before playing. It seems like powering an external USB connection takes more out of the battery than I would have thought.

My results are:

Internal Media - 7+ hours

microSD with USB adapter - 5.5 hours

USB Thumbdrive - 4 hours

External HD - 3.5 hours

Disclaimer, this is informal testing. I have been using a variety of movies with different compression and formats. It is just a generalization.

Everyone is complaining that there is no rear camera on the Nexus 7. I came up with a solution.

IMG_20120727_2240181.jpg

I tried using the Epic to see if hooking that up with USB OTG would allow me to conserve battery life on the N7, but it didn't make a difference. I still only got 5 hours continuous video.

• Like 2

Well, the bloom is off the rose, somewhat. I had read of quality control issues with the Nexus 7 but had downplayed those as the concerns of outliers. Today, however, I found my very own dead pixel. I do not believe that it has been there since the beginning, so I hope that it will conversely rejuvenate on its own. Otherwise, it will taunt me to no end, one in literally a million. I am honestly surprised that I have had so few LCD pixel issues with previous devices.

AJ

Well, the bloom is off the rose, somewhat. I had read of quality control issues with the Nexus 7 but had downplayed those as the concerns of outliers. Today, however, I found my very own dead pixel. I do not believe that it has been there since the beginning, so I hope that it will conversely rejuvenate on its own. Otherwise, it will taunt me to no end, one in literally a million. I am honestly surprised that I have had so few LCD pixel issues with previous devices.

AJ

Just look at it like Cindy Crawford's mole. One defect on an otherwise beautiful canvas. A flaw that reminds us of the fragility of beauty.

The only dead pixel I have seen so far in a tablet/smartphone device was in my son's old HTC Hero. However, I come across them all the time in computer monitor and laptop screens.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Just look at it like Cindy Crawford's mole. One defect on an otherwise beautiful canvas. A flaw that reminds us of the fragility of beauty.

You may have read about periodic flicker in the Nexus 7's screen. I have that, too. So, it is more like Cindy Crawford, her mole, and an eyelid tic.

AJ

I ended up ordering the Blurex case off Amazon a few days ago ($12.99 + $3.98 shipping)

(http://www.amazon.co...M2C_ST1_3p_dp_1). It is designed for the Nexus 7 so it won't have the same issues with blocking the speaker or headphone jack. Plus it's got the smart feature as well. It looks very similar to the one you got, but it doesn't have the handstrap feature.

Got my BLUrex case the other day and I really like it for a basic case. It's a little less bulky than the Kindle case I was using before, plus, since it was designed for the Nexus, access to all the buttons and ports are a little easier.

Pros:

• Designed for Nexus 7
  • Inexpensive
  • Lightweight and low profile
  • Magnetic cover (automatically wakes up when opened)
  • Easily converts to a landscape mode stand

Cons:

• A little tougher to access the edge of the screen due to the case covering most of the bezel.
  • No option to act as a stand in portrait mode

All in all, if you're looking for a basic case for your Nexus 7, I would definitely recommend the BLUrex. I don't have any pictures, but if you click on the link in the quoted part above it will take you to the Amazon page for the product with lots of pictures. There's even a few video reviews on YouTube for this case.

As always, YMMV.

You may have read about periodic flicker in the Nexus 7's screen. I have that, too. So, it is more like Cindy Crawford, her mole, and an eyelid tic.

AJ

Yeah...that's suddenly not as attractive.

I was at Wal-Mart today, and noticed one of these guys...soooo, since the wife has decided to live at the mall with her cousin these last two day, I thought that I deserved one~ :P