9erHater

New rumors about the Google Nexus tablet, which will be made by ASUS, have hit the interwebs. The supposed product name will be the Nexus 7.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/05/google-nexus-tablet-pops-up-on-benchmark-site/

If it has an IPS screen, it sounds like a very exciting product.

• Like 2

I have been waiting on this tablet, I originally got wood over the asus memo 370t, which was canceled so Asus could work for google on this tablet.Hoping there is a micro sd slot. If there is and the specs are what they are speculated to be, then I am in.

I only want a tablet because I want a bigger e-reader than what I am using now. I read 52 books on my evo shift, and now I am using my evo 4g lte. Bigger screen not heavier than 12 ounces and I will be a happy camper.

Of course Amazon should still be happy I buy all my e-books from them, at least 1 a week, just not crazy about the kindle fire and no google play store.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been waiting on this tablet, I originally got wood over the asus memo 370t, which was canceled so Asus could work for google on this tablet.Hoping there is a micro sd slot. If there is and the specs are what they are speculated to be, then I am in. I only want a tablet because I want a bigger e-reader than what I am using now. I read 52 books on my evo shift, and now I am using my evo 4g lte. Bigger screen not heavier than 12 ounces and I will be a happy camper. Of course Amazon should still be happy I buy all my e-books from them, at least 1 a week, just not crazy about the kindle fire and no google play store.

Why not just get the Kindle Fire, root it and toss CM9 on there?

Yeah, I bought the refurbished kindle fire on the $139 gold box deal. Other than missing a camera, decent amount of memory, and a micro SD, the kindle fire running CM9 is pretty awesome.

Sent from my CM9 Toro

• Like 1

Yeah, I bought the refurbished kindle fire on the $139 gold box deal. Other than missing a camera, decent amount of memory, and a micro SD, the kindle fire running CM9 is pretty awesome.

Sent from my CM9 Toro

My Asus Transformer has a rear camera that I think I've used once. I use the FFC for video chat/skype/google+.

My Asus Transformer has a rear camera that I think I've used once. I use the FFC for video chat/skype/google+.

Yeah, I didn't use the camera on my Galaxy Tab often, but it was handy if I wanted to take a picture of something to upload online and didn't have my phone handy or if I wanted to take a picture of my phone for whatever reason.

The kindle fire is a little light in the hardware department. While I want to mainly use the tablet as a e-reader, I would still would like a more capable machine

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This might be the 7" tablet I get, as long as it is slim. The RIM Playbook is awesome, but the square size makes slipping it in a jacket pocket impossible. I currently have the HTC View, and while I love having an embedded modem for Pandora, Netflix, etc. I'll be happy to take a faster unit, as long as I can expand the capacity.

AsusNexusTablet.jpg

I wonder if there is a way that I could buy the Nexus 7 using Google Wallet on the actual tablet that I am buying...

AJ

• Like 2

Man, tempted to order this thing right now. Don't want to load up my credentials on this computer at work though, has a virus that our IT dept can't get rid of.

• Like 1

I am writing the craigslist ad for my kindle fire right now, as the wife will give me a hard time if I have 2 - 7" tablets lying around. The KF is plenty capable, and nice when rooted, but it's not a nexus... and doesn't have all the additional features of the Nexus.

The Nexus 7 is nearly perfect for my needs. If it had a SD card it would be perfect.

• Like 2

I am writing the craigslist ad for my kindle fire right now, as the wife will give me a hard time if I have 2 - 7" tablets lying around. The KF is plenty capable, and nice when rooted, but it's not a nexus... and doesn't have all the additional features of the Nexus.

The Nexus 7 is nearly perfect for my needs. If it had a SD card it would be perfect.

Yeah, my wife told me the same thing about our Galaxy Tab. First she mentioned selling our Prime, but I said thats a 10" so it doesn't count! Sooo, I'm gonna see if her brother wants to take the 7" galaxy off of my hands

• Like 1

Yeah, my wife told me the same thing about our Galaxy Tab. First she mentioned selling our Prime, but I said thats a 10" so it doesn't count! Sooo, I'm gonna see if her brother wants to take the 7" galaxy off of my hands

I managed to sell my 7" galaxy tab for $125 on CL. I think I should be able to find a buyer for the KF... might even make some money off the KF since I purchased it on Gold Box deal and had a warranty replacement where they sent me a new (not refurbished) one...

I have the KF as well, but haven' tused it in awhile. It may get donated to an immediate family member soon, though that doesn't necessarily mean I'll pick up the N7 right away. Then again, I have a 10" tablet that I use these days for everything...though there are plenty of cases where I'd use a 7" tablet where a 10" wouldn't be.

One thing to note is that the N7 is slightly longer, ever-so-slightly wider and ever-so-slightly thinner than the KF.

I have the KF as well, but haven' tused it in awhile. It may get donated to an immediate family member soon, though that doesn't necessarily mean I'll pick up the N7 right away. Then again, I have a 10" tablet that I use these days for everything...though there are plenty of cases where I'd use a 7" tablet where a 10" wouldn't be.

One thing to note is that the N7 is slightly longer, ever-so-slightly wider and ever-so-slightly thinner than the KF.

I compared it to the View in terms of size, and it sounds perfect. Also weighs .75lbs, which should be easy on the pockets

I just pass my old tablet on to one of my four kids. I don't sell anything. I'm a gadget hoarder.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I just pass my old tablet on to one of my four kids. I don't sell anything. I'm a gadget hoarder.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

The wife doesn't allow that kind of thing. I have to agree to sell or throw away old stuff before I can replace it. I used to hoard, but the garage and basement are full of junk from my old gadget hoarding.

I see your new signature, very nice! Did you and the UPS man have one of those moments where you were both running in slow motion through wild flowers toward each other?

• Like 1

The wife doesn't allow that kind of thing. I have to agree to sell or throw away old stuff before I can replace it. I used to hoard, but the garage and basement are full of junk from my old gadget hoarding.

I see your new signature, very nice! Did you and the UPS man have one of those moments where you were both running in slow motion through wild flowers toward each other?

Not quite. I got the email from UPS saying the package was on my front porch. So I drove home at lunch and snagged it.

Robert

Why they didn't include micro sd' date=' thats a big let down, between OS and Apps the 8gb is gonna shrink to much.[/quote']

I would guess it is similar to what amazon did with the kindle fire. Limit the memory so that people are more inclined to use their store for the media purchases with delivery from the cloud instead of packing music and video onto cheap removable memory. If people start using Google play for music and video purchases, more money is coming back to Google. With an entry level device like this, the profit margin is negligible. This tablet is aimed squarely towards promoting usage of Google play for book movie and music purchases. It will double as bait for developers to make tablet optimized apps. Google play is lagging on tablet apps in comparison to apple app store.

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I managed to sell my 7" galaxy tab for $125 on CL. I think I should be able to find a buyer for the KF... might even make some money off the KF since I purchased it on Gold Box deal and had a warranty replacement where they sent me a new (not refurbished) one...

Thats a pretty good price. The thing with mine is I bought it through Sprint, I have about 10 months left on my contract, which I might just cancel and eat the ETF. I bought it before the prices went up, so I'd pay about $100 right now, compared to a $30 +taxes and fee a month data plan that I rarely use because its abot 95% of the time on wifi only. So over 10 months I'd be paying about $300 for a service I rarely use.

My kids use it quite a bit, mostly my 3 year old. Its got an otterbox case around it now, that have helped it survive some full drops from the shopping cart to some tile. So I might just keep it, and see if I can't sneak the Nexus 7 in here.