Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

I don't disagree with anything you are saying here, but unfortunately I think these "holes" you speak of which I have referenced are almost inexcusable at this point. We are 1+ year deep into Network Vision in Chicago and some of the most heavily traveled areas of our city that see millions of locals and tourists are still stuck in these holes, on old 3G legacy equipment. Its a complete failure on Sprints part there here we are in August of 2013 and the Magnificent Mile and McCormick Place Convention area are 3G ONLY service areas. Right there alone, that tells you their prioritization is off, their attention to detail is off, their process is flawed, or they simply don't know or recognize this fact. If I wasn't a price sensitive customer I would bail based on this fact alone.

The original plan was to start in the far out suburbs and work their way in. That is fairly standard industry practice from what I have seen. Why would you want to start a huge replacement project with lots of potential complications in your busiest area?

Sent from my EVO LTE

I don't disagree with anything you are saying here, but unfortunately I think these "holes" you speak of which I have referenced are almost inexcusable at this point.  We are 1+ year deep into Network Vision in Chicago and some of the most heavily traveled areas of our city that see millions of locals and tourists are still stuck in these holes, on old 3G legacy equipment.  Its a complete failure on Sprints part there here we are in August of 2013 and the Magnificent Mile and McCormick Place Convention area are 3G ONLY service areas.  Right there alone, that tells you their prioritization is off, their attention to detail is off, their process is flawed, or they simply don't know or recognize this fact.  If I wasn't a price sensitive customer I would bail based on this fact alone.

These holes are almost undoubtedly related to permiting issues, in which case you need to get on the City of Chicago's case, or backhaul, in which case umm... call AT&T? I don't think there's a lot that Sprint can do or could have foreseen related to these issues.

• Like 1

These holes are almost undoubtedly related to permiting issues, in which case you need to get on the City of Chicago's case, or backhaul, in which case umm... call AT&T? I don't think there's a lot that Sprint can do or could have foreseen related to these issues.

Or get a different backhaul vendor. There's plenty around, especially in Chicago.

I have the technical ability and willingness to bring whatever amount of transport to wherever Sprint wants in Illinois. Bring it!

Or get a different backhaul vendor. There's plenty around, especially in Chicago.

I have the technical ability and willingness to bring whatever amount of transport to wherever Sprint wants in Illinois. Bring it!

They did swap backhaul vendors in New Mexico, or at least put it back up for bid since CenturyLink under delivered, but it's only added months onto the expect completion time.

I've had all sorts of issues, multiple error messages when trying to text, phone call not going through even though the timer on the call has been counting, call going through and not ringing, people call me and they say it rings but it doesn't ring on my end, 4-5 bars coverage but can't load webpages, horrid data speeds, etc.

And this has been all around, I travel all around the Chicagoland area; mostly around west suburbs but I also go to the city and north, south suburbs.

You guys noted a bunch of new technology, better experience coming, etc but when? And that's the toughest part because nobody really knows. But thus far Sprint has done as much as scratch their behind to keep my business, a current customer who's been with them for years, with multiple lines, never pays late. I'm not saying I'm special, I'm sure there's a ton of others in the same shoes, but what I'm saying is that they're not doing anything in my opinion to retain current customers or plans on what reimbursement/incentives for customers who have hung in there for over 1yr of poor service.

Yes AT&T and Verizon are definitely expensive, but in comparison with my friends' AT&T and Verizon phones; theirs work where mine don't or work better/faster where mine drags. Yes I know, what are was I in, what date, etc. Plain and simple, theirs performed and mine didn't.

When is Sprint going to perform?

I've had all sorts of issues, multiple error messages when trying to text, phone call not going through even though the timer on the call has been counting, call going through and not ringing, people call me and they say it rings but it doesn't ring on my end, 4-5 bars coverage but can't load webpages, horrid data speeds, etc.

And this has been all around, I travel all around the Chicagoland area; mostly around west suburbs but I also go to the city and north, south suburbs.

You guys noted a bunch of new technology, better experience coming, etc but when? And that's the toughest part because nobody really knows. But thus far Sprint has done as much as scratch their behind to keep my business, a current customer who's been with them for years, with multiple lines, never pays late. I'm not saying I'm special, I'm sure there's a ton of others in the same shoes, but what I'm saying is that they're not doing anything in my opinion to retain current customers or plans on what reimbursement/incentives for customers who have hung in there for over 1yr of poor service.

Yes AT&T and Verizon are definitely expensive, but in comparison with my friends' AT&T and Verizon phones; theirs work where mine don't or work better/faster where mine drags. Yes I know, what are was I in, what date, etc. Plain and simple, theirs performed and mine didn't.

All of the symptoms you describe sound like a device issue. They are not typical. The issues people had in the Chicago area during the network vision upgrades were slow/no data and dropped calls. I experienced those but never got error messages sending text messages. The issues I had were location dependent as well.

I do not have any of those issues anymore. It has been a long time since I have had a dropped call.

Sent from my EVO LTE

All of the symptoms you describe sound like a device issue. They are not typical. The issues people had in the Chicago area during the network vision upgrades were slow/no data and dropped calls. I experienced those but never got error messages sending text messages. The issues I had were location dependent as well.

I do not have any of those issues anymore. It has been a long time since I have had a dropped call.

Sent from my EVO LTE

In the "Samsung Galaxy Note 2" thread, several people point out that the Note 2 has significant voice and text issues in areas where SMR 800 is turned on. That would include almost all of the Chicago market, and could explain at least some of niuzeus' problems. (See, for example:  http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1271-samsung-galaxy-note-2/page-52)

Personally, like tongboy, my voice/text have been nearly flawless for months, and I drive all over the market.

I'm new to this radio stuff, still learning the anatomy of a cell. I think this one has been online for a year, but no 4G yet. It's at the municipal facility in the town, which I'm almost positive is a fiber hub anyways (might be why they constructed it there, besides the location being the middle of the town). Saw some workers at the site all morning, hopefully making progress!

IMG_4939.JPG

IMG_4921.JPG

IMG_4916.JPG

IMG_4913.JPG

Edit: Thanks for moving! 

• Like 2

Well my T-Mobile service is beating my friends with VZW in lte scores and att with hspa+ in peak hours. Even when I'm downtown and by Chinatown playing ingress my phone stays connected to LTE when there's don't sometimes. Except when I'm underground on the red or blue line service next to none. I'm guessing it's the VZW people that still be using there phones down there.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

Well my T-Mobile service is beating my friends with VZW in lte scores and att with hspa+ in peak hours. Even when I'm downtown and by Chinatown playing ingress my phone stays connected to LTE when there's don't sometimes. Except when I'm underground on the red or blue line service next to none. I'm guessing it's the VZW people that still be using there phones down there.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

Sprint's 1900 Mhz LTE is probably the worst for indoor or underground coverage of all the current providers.  Its a terrible band for urban LTE consumption.  Phone usually drops right back to 3G in any building, store, structure, or underground facility unless there is an LTE tower right on top of you.

Did a few speed tests at my chiropractor in Lake Barrington, which is right across the street from an LTE tower. The upload speeds are SCREAMING. I've never seen anything this fast..

Lol that's not possible with only a 5x5 carrier. That's just speedtest.net spazzing out on the upload again.

• Like 1

Geting LTE in Portage, IN on my IPAD, but not on my note. Going to work on changing my PRL back to the test one that was previously on my Note 2 to see if that helps. Got 8.28 on download and 1.47 on upload.

Edited by Jamal46409

Geting LTE in Portage, IN on my IPAD, but not on my note. Going to work on changing my PRL back to the test one that was previously on my Note 2 to see if that helps. Got 8.28 on download and 1.47 on upload.

Not sure how, I look at the NV sites complete map I see the same as always.  No 4G towers east of i-65.  Still just 3G/800.

It's interesting that a market with so many incomplete sites can go almost a week without any site updates. At Market Days in Lakeview this weekend 300,000 people showed up. Sprint data fell apart, but Verizon data AND voice collapsed. My calls and SMSs were going through without an issue.

• Like 2

Was out in DeKalb/Sycamore this past weekend. Ran a speedtest by Rt. 23 and Peace Rd... solid 3G speeds, 2mbps down/1 mbps up. Put a big smile on my face!
You were about 1.5 miles from two NV LTE towers.

It's interesting that a market with so many incomplete sites can go almost a week without any site updates.
Indeed.Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Was out in DeKalb/Sycamore this past weekend.  Ran a speedtest by Rt. 23 and Peace Rd... solid 3G speeds, 2mbps down/1 mbps up.  Put a big smile on my face!

You should have been able to grab LTE from there, the tower on the corner of Peace Rd and RT 64 has a ton of sectors... The tower on Whipple Road has LTE active, but the sectors are strange.....its hard to connect to that tower for LTE.

You should have been able to grab LTE from there. The tower on Whipple Road has LTE active, but the sectors are strange.....its hard to connect to that tower for LTE.

Unfortunately I can't snag LTE with my iPhone... Still have a 4S :(

But it was promising to see great 3G performance again. 3G in the Aurora/Montgomery area seems to have slowed down a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You should have been able to grab LTE from there, the tower on the corner of Peace Rd and RT 64 has a ton of sectors... The tower on Whipple Road has LTE active, but the sectors are strange.....its hard to connect to that tower for LTE.

I was thinking the other Peace and 23, by Bemis Ford.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

It's interesting that a market with so many incomplete sites can go almost a week without any site updates.

I don't think there are very many sites left in the Chicago market that are still using legacy equipment, other than a handful downtown. There are a few, especially in Indiana, which are certainly in need of backhaul, but the major change in the area over the last few weeks has been the large number of "yellow" sites that are now broadcasting 1x 800 and therefore should be marked with a green pin. They isn't reflected in the map yet because Robert's 800 acceptances come from a different (apparently slower) source than the rest. From what I understand, there are also many 2600 (and 800?) LTE acceptances coming in, but access to those are currently restricted to Premier Sponsors since all of those upgrades are taking place on Clearwire sites and haven't gotten to Sprint's original NV sites yet.

I can tell you that Sprint has no 800lte sites live according to glance, their internal tower info database. I just looked today.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4

Ok, thanks! They've set a deadline to have 800 LTE up and running from all sites that currently have 1900 LTE by the end of this year, so you should start seeing those pretty soon.

Ok, thanks! They've set a deadline to have 800 LTE up and running from all sites that currently have 1900 LTE by the end of this year, so you should start seeing those pretty soon.

Robert(s4gru) said that in about three months from the shut down of nextel network, chicago would have 800 lte. They would be one of the first markets. so just give it time, I just wish they could get backhaul to the rest of the sites and finish chicago.  I would love for chicago to be the first market done with network vision with 800 lte and 2600 lte.