Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Interesting. This may be happening to my sister. She's got the Iphone 5 and has never connected to LTE in New Orleans. Thanks for the info.

I dont know who you are, but you have the best avatar photo EVER! OMG!

Call into Sprint and make sure they have the proper ICCID on your account (numerical identifier for your SIM card which is needed to connect to LTE). Ironically I was traveling through Chicago last week (O'Hare and North up 294) and didn't pick up any LTE which prompted me to investigate my phone. I had de-activated then re-activated my iPhone 5 two weeks prior, and because of that process Sprint did not have the correct ICCID on my account. After speaking with three different reps the issue was finally resolved and I have no issue connecting to LTE anymore. Since you swapped phones you may be experiencing the same issue.

Edit: sorry for the double post - I had an error message the first time I tried to reply...

Thanks for the advice. I called in and asked about that ID number. Instead of verifying the number they currently had, she had me dial ##72786# to access a SCRTN screen. From there I had to press menu, hit reset and wait while me phone got reactivated. Now, I gotta wait until I gt to a spot where I'm 100% sure I get 4G to see if that fixed the issue.

We'll see what happens...

Thanks for the advice. I called in and asked about that ID number. Instead of verifying the number they currently had, she had me dial ##72786# to access a SCRTN screen. From there I had to press menu, hit reset and wait while me phone got reactivated. Now, I gotta wait until I gt to a spot where I'm 100% sure I get 4G to see if that fixed the issue.

We'll see what happens...

Not to totally hijack this thread, but the first two reps I spoke with had me do something similar with my iPhone to no avail. The third rep finally asked me about my ICCID number and found out he had the incorrect number in their system. He then updated it in the system, I went through similar "network reset" settings and it finally worked. If the first method you've tried doesn't work, call back in and tell them to verify your ICCID number (SIM technology is relatively new to Sprint and I've found not all of their reps are fully trained to trouble shoot them).

Not to totally hijack this thread, but the first two reps I spoke with had me do something similar with my iPhone to no avail. The third rep finally asked me about my ICCID number and found out he had the incorrect number in their system. He then updated it in the system, I went through similar "network reset" settings and it finally worked. If the first method you've tried doesn't work, call back in and tell them to verify your ICCID number (SIM technology is relatively new to Sprint and I've found not all of their reps are fully trained to trouble shoot them).

Hijack appreciated. I actually plan on doing just what you suggested. I'm expecting a callback at 4:30pm CT to see if there are any changes. I'm damn near 100% sure this has to do with the phone swap and the ICCID number. I assume that the UICC ID number in About Phone/Phone Identity is the number in question.

Hijack appreciated. I actually plan on doing just what you suggested. I'm expecting a callback at 4:30pm CT to see if there are any changes. I'm damn near 100% sure this has to do with the phone swap and the ICCID number. I assume that the UICC ID number in About Phone/Phone Identity is the number in question.

Not that we expect a whole lot from $10/hr customer service reps, but if this is a repeatable and established issue with phone swaps how come its not part of some sort of quality control checklist that Sprint employees check for or verify before completing the activation or "swap".

Not that we expect a whole lot from $10/hr customer service reps, but if this is a repeatable and established issue with phone swaps how come its not part of some sort of quality control checklist that Sprint employees check for or verify before completing the activation or "swap".

I didn't have the patience to wait until 4:30, so I talked to a Sprint rep via chat. After asking multiple times, I finally got her to give me the UICC ID number that she had on my account. It was the number from my old phone. :td: I gave her my current number and serial number. I'm now in the middle of working with advanced tech support to get my damn LTE back.

I'm hoping for a happy ending shortly. A thank you to all that chimed in with suggestions.

I think it falls back on Sprint's lack of experience with trouble shooting SIM cards. Hopefully these first few incidents will be enough to spark some procedural changes at Sprint anytime a LTE phone is swapped out (well, if ICCID issue is in fact the problem / solution).

FWIW, over the past 5 years i've really been pleased with Sprint's CS - I've had to deal with Time Warner as example, and there wasn't one time where I wasn't left with the feeling of throwing the phone through the wall after finishing with them.

I think it falls back on Sprint's lack of experience with trouble shooting SIM cards. Hopefully these first few incidents will be enough to spark some procedural changes at Sprint anytime a LTE phone is swapped out (well, if ICCID issue is in fact the problem / solution).

FWIW, over the past 5 years i've really been pleased with Sprint's CS - I've had to deal with Time Warner as example, and there wasn't one time where I wasn't left with the feeling of throwing the phone through the wall after finishing with them.

I'll say they are better than Comcast or another other monopoly utility for sure.

• Like 1

I spoke with a sprint Tech support rep today. I was told that there was still a series of tower in my area, 60657, Lincoln Park, that underwent NV upgrades starting April 7th which are schedule to be complete on July 5th. I don't have the specific towers, but we can see many Chicago towers turning from purple LTE pins to Green 3G/800/4G pins so that could account for the "work being done". This could also be a completion date for the market itself, which would shed some light on the build out of the Loop area which is creeping along ever so slowly. By my count there are still about 20 towers to go in the Loop. This July 5th data could be backhaul upgrades....I just don't know, but the fact that something started April 7th and is ending July 5th is a positive sign. This thing might be on its last legs, but it ain't over yet folks.

• Like 1

I spoke with a sprint Tech support rep today. I was told that there was still a series of tower in my area, 60657, Lincoln Park, that underwent NV upgrades starting April 7th which are schedule to be complete on July 5th. I don't have the specific towers, but we can see many Chicago towers turning from purple LTE pins to Green 3G/800/4G pins so that could account for the "work being done". This could also be a completion date for the market itself, which would shed some light on the build out of the Loop area which is creeping along ever so slowly. By my count there are still about 20 towers to go in the Loop. This July 5th data could be backhaul upgrades....I just don't know, but the fact that something started April 7th and is ending July 5th is a positive sign. This thing might be on its last legs, but it ain't over yet folks.

So does anyone have any reasonable ball park date when the rollout will be complete in Chicago? Anything, even a month?

So does anyone have any reasonable ball park date when the rollout will be complete in Chicago? Anything, even a month?

Even though the market is 94% complete, I kind of wondered if it would nonetheless be a huge difference in network quality when the project is completely done and nobody is messing with or changing things anymore. Even in areas where LTE is available, it is inconsistent, and I just chalk it up to ongoing work in the market. Often, eHRPD and/or EvDO are unavailable downtown, but because it's intermittent, it has to be related to the buildout right? The 94% complete stat would lead you to believe that things are 94% fantastic, but in my experience it's still a big mess.

The running list estimates May as the completion month, but with the dramatic slowdown in the pace of the buildout, it keeps slip slip slipping into the future. One would imagine that towers that are the lone legacy holdouts in areas that have been upgraded have logistical challenges specific to their location, though the fact that almost the entire loop is a holdout continues to mystify me.

Even though the market is 94% complete, I kind of wondered if it would nonetheless be a huge difference in network quality when the project is completely done and nobody is messing with or changing things anymore. . . . The 94% complete stat would lead you to believe that things are 94% fantastic, but in my experience it's still a big mess.

94% complete does NOT mean 94% complete. It means, basically, that 94% of all sites have had some NV work completed and accepted. Most sites will receive 3 upgrades: 800SMR voice & text, 1900 EvDO, voice, & text (3G), and 1900 LTE (4G). Approximately 6% of Chicagoland sites have had NO work accepted to date (it may have been started, but has not been carried through to acceptance). Of the remaining 94%, some have had only 800SMR upgrades accepted, some only 1900 CDMA (3G), some only 1900 LTE (4G), some have had 2 of those 3, and some have had all 3. Based on the Sponsor maps, it looks like between 60 and 65% of Chicagoland sites have had either LTE or all 3 upgrades accepted at this moment. So, yes, coverage remains incomplete and somewhat spotty in places, and will remain so for at least a few more weeks. [Especially in McHenry County . . . Oh,wait, I posted a reply critical of ranting, so I'd better stop while I'm ahead.] But, overall, things are definitely on the upswing in the Big Windy.

• Like 1

North end of Valparaiso lit up with 4G today. I'm not sure how far out it goes, but it will extend the existing coverage along RT 30 up to the north end of town!!! NICE!

• Like 2

North end of Valparaiso lit up with 4G today. I'm not sure how far out it goes, but it will extend the existing coverage along RT 30 up to the north end of town!!! NICE!

Yea, it's nice. LTE has been slowly coming to Chesterton the last two weeks. I have had it at my house for close to three weeks now (just north of the Toll Road and east of 49). Yesterday, was the first time I noticed the LTE signal right at the Chesterton toll road entrance.

Really loving my newly acquired sprint lte. I live one block from a 3G/4G/800 tower. Speeds are 29/10 day and night outside and in my apartment. I drive around Chicago in a truck for a living. Average speed during my several day test period is about 12/5. Latency is averaging 40-70ms. Some places as low as 3/2 with full LTE signal. Backhaul not in place?

Really loving my newly acquired sprint lte. I live one block from a 3G/4G/800 tower. Speeds are 29/10 day and night outside and in my apartment. I drive around Chicago in a truck for a living. Average speed during my several day test period is about 12/5. Latency is averaging 40-70ms. Some places as low as 3/2 with full LTE signal. Backhaul not in place?

No way you are driving through the Loop area then. Last week with the Brown Line construction I rode the 156 LaSalle bus, not a whiff of LTE down LaSalle from Wacker to Jackson. I also rode the Brown Line loop circular they had running last week to get around the Loop too, again not a whiff of LTE circling the Loop on the elevated tracks. And as we all know 3G is spotty and sluggish at best. I get many instances where my bars still show up, but the 3G icon drops off, essentially rending the phone "no service" b/c if you try and do anything during this period you just get "no connection" notifications. Id say Sprint has a long way to go in getting a reliable network up and running in the Loop.

No way you are driving through the Loop area then. Last week with the Brown Line construction I rode the 156 LaSalle bus, not a whiff of LTE down LaSalle from Wacker to Jackson. I also rode the Brown Line loop circular they had running last week to get around the Loop too, again not a whiff of LTE circling the Loop on the elevated tracks. And as we all know 3G is spotty and sluggish at best. I get many instances where my bars still show up, but the 3G icon drops off, essentially rending the phone "no service" b/c if you try and do anything during this period you just get "no connection" notifications. Id say Sprint has a long way to go in getting a reliable network up and running in the Loop.

I think they have a lot of work left to do in the loop area as well. It was the last place they started work in the Chicago market and is probably much more complex than the burbs.

A short update on the issues I was having before (people not being able to hear when I picked up, dropped calls all the time, etc) it does seem to be getting better. I don't take as many phone calls as my wife does, but I don't think I've had someone not hear me when I answer in probably a week or more, which is AWESOME. It's kinda sad when you're excited your phone service works as it should, but given the massive undertaking this is, I'm hoping just a few more weeks and it'll all be straightened out in the NW burbs.

I think they have a lot of work left to do in the loop area as well. It was the last place they started work in the Chicago market and is probably much more complex than the burbs.

A short update on the issues I was having before (people not being able to hear when I picked up, dropped calls all the time, etc) it does seem to be getting better. I don't take as many phone calls as my wife does, but I don't think I've had someone not hear me when I answer in probably a week or more, which is AWESOME. It's kinda sad when you're excited your phone service works as it should, but given the massive undertaking this is, I'm hoping just a few more weeks and it'll all be straightened out in the NW burbs.

Whether in the burbs or a city rat like me one thing I have learned, time frame's mean nothing, its all about patience. I have already resigned to the fact that it will probably take Sprint until the end if this year if not longer to full complete Chicago and the Loop, all towers, all backhaul, no holes, Loop, burbs, on top of buildings, etc etc. The reason I feel we can and should be patient is b/c a lot of what the mods have said here portrays this LTE network (once actually finished) as more technically capable than Verizon's or ATTs. More towers, better backhaul, better coverage (downtilt), more spectrum coming (US Cellular)......and what we all know unlimited non-throttled LTE data for less price. Basically more value. Its just getting there which is painful for those both in the burbs like you, and living and working in the Loop like me.

AT&T still has issues with the Loop, though I hear the massive DAS system they're deploying down there will help. What I don't know is if the DAS is something Sprint can hook into.

Depending on what Sprint decides to do with the former USCC PCS B block spectrum, it is possible, albeit unlikely that Chicago could become Sprint's first 10 MHz FDD LTE market. Sorry, Samsung devices, you would have to remain on the PCS G block 5 MHz FDD carrier.

AJ

Whether in the burbs or a city rat like me one thing I have learned, time frame's mean nothing, its all about patience. I have already resigned to the fact that it will probably take Sprint until the end if this year if not longer to full complete Chicago and the Loop, all towers, all backhaul, no holes, Loop, burbs, on top of buildings, etc etc. The reason I feel we can and should be patient is b/c a lot of what the mods have said here portrays this LTE network (once actually finished) as more technically capable than Verizon's or ATTs. More towers, better backhaul, better coverage (downtilt), more spectrum coming (US Cellular)......and what we all know unlimited non-throttled LTE data for less price. Basically more value. Its just getting there which is painful for those both in the burbs like you, and living and working in the Loop like me.

Yeah, I think it'll take the rest of the year as well. However, once all is said and done, I honestly believe Sprint will have the best network in Chicago, and that's a big deal. Especially when they can get all their 800mhz working to get better building penetration as well. That's a big deal too.

I don't care too much about data speeds I just want the actual phone (voice) to work! I'm bathing in LTE almost everywhere I go. The only time I see a 3G icon is in the elevator at work, or maybe a conference center over near O'Hare.

AT&T still has issues with the Loop, though I hear the massive DAS system they're deploying down there will help. What I don't know is if the DAS is something Sprint can hook into.

What is DAS and what does it do.