Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

I think it's going to be a different ball game for Sprint with SoftBank ownership.

In a good way or in a bad way, in your opinion?

As an update from some of my recent posts...I worked from home yesterday and had to take three calls where people called me. All of them went through and they could hear me! Sounds like it's a lot to get excited about, but I'm glad I was 3-for-3. Someone was asking before about my cell level with numbers:

It was right around -86-88 (I think, I can verify tonight) while on the main level and about -103 when in my basement, which is where I took the calls. No drops, no answering the phone and not being able to have people hear me. Maybe things are on the up and up!!

In a good way or in a bad way, in your opinion?

As an update from some of my recent posts...I worked from home yesterday and had to take three calls where people called me. All of them went through and they could hear me! Sounds like it's a lot to get excited about, but I'm glad I was 3-for-3. Someone was asking before about my cell level with numbers:

It was right around -86-88 (I think, I can verify tonight) while on the main level and about -103 when in my basement, which is where I took the calls. No drops, no answering the phone and not being able to have people hear me. Maybe things are on the up and up!!

Your basement is very near fringe signal.

Your basement is very near fringe signal.

Truth. And oddly enough, I carried on a 45 minute phone call from there yesterday. A few days ago, I was upstairs on the main floor and dropped a call about three times in a row. Consistency rocks ;)

So when I was back home in Marengo two weeks ago. My phone was always connected to the 800mhz channel. Stock 25013 prl. At my house I have a airave, not once did it connect to it. My photon 4g did but my optimus g just stayed on 800 and everywhere throughout the house I had no issues. Even in my basement where typically its a deadzone without an airave 800 was no problem. I was impressed this last time with service only negative is lte still isnt turned on. But when I looked on the maps it says its suppose to be on. Keep waiting I think the network is gonna rock in no time.

Not a big surprise. The Photon 4G does not support CDMA1X 800.

AJ

• Like 1

I know, just alot of people that are on Sprint in Chicago with the older phones don't know how well 800 is working Thats why I compared them ;)

Not a big surprise. The Photon 4G does not support CDMA1X 800.

AJ

I know, just alot of people that are on Sprint in Chicago with the older phones don't know how well 800 is working Thats why I compared them ;)

My point is that was why the Photon connected to the Airave, while the Optimus G did not. The Photon had weak CDMA1X 1900 signal, detected the Airave, and jumped on that stronger signal.

The Optimus G, on the other hand, had fine CDMA1X 800 signal. In fact, because it was on CDMA1X 800, the Optimus G likely did not even realize that the Airave was in the vicinity, as the Airave does not operate on SMR 800 MHz.

AJ

great .Sprint is going to turn on 4G LTE in Rochelle on 4-12 (tomorrow) before freak'n Dekalb . yaaaa ;-((

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/11/sprint-leak-has-lte-reaching-los-angeles-april-12/

check the Pix under IL

Rochelle tower has been 4G completed for 3 weeks or more now. Check the completed maps.

Sent while driving.

• Like 1

great .Sprint is going to turn on 4G LTE in Rochelle on 4-12 (tomorrow) before freak'n Dekalb . yaaaa ;-((

http://www.engadget....geles-april-12/

check the Pix under IL

Cool, glad to hear the Chicago region continues to receive network and tower upgrades. It seems like the bulk of the network modernization build out is over, but as we can see from our individual grumbles, fine call them complaints, the NV build out process still has numerous spots of upgrade and improvement left to go.

I think Wrigley may not have been at capacity yesterday because of the rain. Today I'm getting 2 megabits outside the stadium on game day which is just fine in my opinion. Just had a long phone call while outside the stadium too and it sounded just fine and didn't drop.the real test will be when the weather is warm and the Wrigley rooftops are full as well and there are zillions of people milling around outside on the street.

Not worried, With the efficiencies of 1x800 and an xtra 20 mhz from US Cell plus Lte to relieve the evdo network. It should all be good

the real test will be when the weather is warm and the Wrigley rooftops are full as well and there are zillions of people milling around outside on the street.

I think Wrigley may not have been at capacity yesterday because of the rain. Today I'm getting 2 megabits outside the stadium on game day which is just fine in my opinion. Just had a long phone call while outside the stadium too and it sounded just fine and didn't drop.the real test will be when the weather is warm and the Wrigley rooftops are full as well and there are zillions of people milling around outside on the street.

Um, yeah realize yesterday's game was cancelled cuz of the crappy weather right, there was no game.

Not worried, With the efficiencies of 1x800 and an xtra 20 mhz from US Cell plus Lte to relieve the evdo network. It should all be good

But I thought no one can access the 800mhx spectrum, so how exactly does that help?

1XA800 is voice. LTE800 hasn't been deployed yet. 1 channel of 1XA800(which is already deployed and accessed) is like having 3-4 channels of legacy 1x1900. You do have to have one of the current phones to access 1x800 and that you do. Your probably already using it without knowing. Make sure your prl is 25013 or higher. Check you debug screen and if your on channel 476 your on it.

Read a little if you like On the new 1xA

http://www.qualcomm.com/solutions/wireless-networks/technologies/1x-advanced

But I thought no one can access the 800mhx spectrum, so how exactly does that help?

1XA800 is voice.

Not exactly. It will be used for CDMA1X data, too, in buildings and at the coverage fringe where LTE and EV-DO are inaccessible.

1 channel of 1XA800(which is already deployed and accessed) is like having 3-4 channels of legacy 1x1900.

That is the theoretical maximum. But it relies on many variable that will not be be met in the real world. So, think of CDMA1X 800 as just another carrier channel, though special because it possesses SMR 800 MHz propagation.

AJ

Im just curious if anyone else out there in Chicago or Chicago-land has noticed like a tower or two in their area that hasn't received its NV upgrades when all the other towers nearby or in the same area have (months ago)? I can't be the only one with this gripe right?

Woke up this morning to LTE signal in eastern Porter County, Indiana. I believe my "home" tower is CH60XC204. It is located along the Indiana Toll Road in the Valparaiso, Chesterton, and Westville area. 29.7Mbs down and 7.7 up speeds.

Also, debug screen shows channel 476.

I see that Chicago hasn't ticked up even one percent in the Running List. Anybody have any new information on the Loop?

I got nothing, I have basically resigned to the notion that NV and LTE in the actually in and around the Loop may be a 2014 endevour. My main gripe is with no upgrade to tower located at 1601 W School St. Essentially Ashland and School. All the surrounding LakeView towers have received NV, and this has created a hole in LTE coverage in Lakeview. You can see this if you look on Sensorly surrounding the radius of this site location. The next two closest towers are one by Lane Tech further west and one by LSD/Roscoe further east, so this would be right in the middle and complete the Lakeview neighborhood, but instead there is LTE missing in this area. Oh well.

I was at my friend's apartment in Oak Park today and there is a Sprint tower on the roof of the building. In the laundry room was an electric meter labeled "Sprint" and some other equipment that appeared to be Clearwire, but don't know if it was shared. There were many phone lines being fed to two boxes with transparent covers over a large cable with numerous pairs. The two boxes had 6+ dsl modems each...each modem was on a card that seemed to share a common backplane. I would imagine that some kind of channel bonding is being used to get one really high capacity logical connection for use by the tower. The box that the phone lines were coming from was labelled "AT&T", but that might only be because it's the local phone company. Covad and others offer service in the area over ATT infrastructure. Is anybody else aware of DSL based backhaul at any other sites?

If half a dozen DSL lines can serve as backhaul probably with PPPOE (and I don't see why that wouldn't work just fine), it def makes one wonder why Sprint is so behind schedule. I'll add pictures next time I'm there.

I was at my friend's apartment in Oak Park today and there is a Sprint tower on the roof of the building. In the laundry room was an electric meter labeled "Sprint" and some other equipment that appeared to be Clearwire, but don't know if it was shared. There were many phone lines being fed to two boxes with transparent covers over a large cable with numerous pairs. The two boxes had 6+ dsl modems each...each modem was on a card that seemed to share a common backplane. I would imagine that some kind of channel bonding is being used to get one really high capacity logical connection for use by the tower. The box that the phone lines were coming from was labelled "AT&T", but that might only be because it's the local phone company. Covad and others offer service in the area over ATT infrastructure. Is anybody else aware of DSL based backhaul at any other sites?

If half a dozen DSL lines can serve as backhaul probably with PPPOE (and I don't see why that wouldn't work just fine), it def makes one wonder why Sprint is so behind schedule. I'll add pictures next time I'm there.

ATT is the one of the main backhaul suppliers of the market. ATT is part of a duopoly who is taking Americans from behind with lube and have vested interests in keeping Sprints network vision project delayed. There's a reason backhaul was one of the main reasons for the 3+ months average delays.

/shrug

I see that Chicago hasn't ticked up even one percent in the Running List. Anybody have any new information on the Loop?

Chicago has the best market saturation of any market to this point. At this point....the percentage is just a number.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner