Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Well then how can DRock access the new LTE at this tower, its marked as an 800 Mhz tower.

And since it was just recently listed as complete, he can now see the "new", at that location, LTE 1900 service there. Also anyone in the area getting 800Mhz? I know 3420 Lake Shore was pumping out a strong 800Mhz signal a couple weeks ago, but now all I get on my S3, even if I restart, is 1900, its like 800hz disappeared and I have PRL 25012 which should search for 800Mhz 1st from what others have said?

If its 800mhz tower its giving away 3g 800 not lte. Like buddy said no sites at this time has 800 lte.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.2 using Tapatalk 2

I thought that Sprint only used 800Mhz for voice. Is it used for 3G as well?

800 mhz is CDMA/voice only, no 3G.

800 mhz is CDMA/voice only, no 3G.

So many people get this wrong. CDMA1X voice/data is 3G. EV-DO data is also 3G.

AJ

• Like 1

Thank u aj lol. I didn't get it wrong

Indeed, you got it right. And I am going to bet that is some info you learned at this great repository of knowledge known as S4GRU.

;)

AJ

Indeed, you got it right. And I am going to bet that is some info you learned at this great repository of knowledge known as S4GRU.

;)

AJ

U would win that bet bro lol. Thanks to u and Robert and paul

So many people get this wrong. CDMA1X voice/data is 3G. EV-DO data is also 3G.

AJ

Point noted, however, just tack the word "data" or "EVDO" on the end of my post, unless they've begun deploying 800 for EVDO? I didn't figure anyone would be using the term "3G" by itself in reference to voice coverage here. My bad

...unless they've begun deploying 800 for EVDO?

No, EV-DO 800 is not in the plans. Sprint does not have enough SMR 800 MHz bandwidth for CDMA1X, EV-DO, and LTE.

AJ

Remember that CDMA voice is over a digital (aka data) channel. It's just not the same data channel that you use for Internet (which is the 'data' channel 99.9% people are interested in). So in layman's terms, 800Mhz is used only for voice.

Remember that CDMA voice is over a digital (aka data) channel. It's just not the same data channel that you use for Internet (which is the 'data' channel 99.9% people are interested in). So in layman's terms, 800Mhz is used only for voice.

Not exactly. CDMA1X 800 will be used for data, too. In places where EV-DO 1900, LTE 1900, and LTE 800 do not reach, CDMA1X 800 will be the final fallback for data.

AJ

• Like 1

Understood. But 1x data is only around 80-100 kbit/sec (on a good day) . Most people would get impatient and cancel their browser before it loads :rolleyes:

Still, it's good for slooowly updating your email as long as there are no attachments.

Understood. But 1x data is only around 80-100 kbit/sec (on a good day) . Most people would get impatient and cancel their browser before it loads :rolleyes:

Still, it's good for slooowly updating your email as long as there are no attachments.

Those people have become woefully spoiled. Honestly, it is a sad state of affairs when 100 kbps supposedly is no longer good even for e-mail.

AJ

I just hope the phone will give up on an unusable EVDO signal and use the 800smr for data.

Sent from my little Note2

When I'm in/near the loop 100kbps would be amazing! Lately 1x has been all that's available for me around there, but 1x data on the old equipment isn't useable either. Everything just times out :-(

Has anybody else shared my experience of ehrpd not working properly anymore in many parts of the city? The NPR app does not take kindly to interrupted data sessions. My phone reports EVDO revA much of the time when on 3g now.

When I'm in/near the loop 100kbps would be amazing! Lately 1x has been all that's available for me around there, but 1x data on the old equipment isn't useable either. Everything just times out :-(

Has anybody else shared my experience of ehrpd not working properly anymore in many parts of the city? The NPR app does not take kindly to interrupted data sessions. My phone reports EVDO revA much of the time when on 3g now.

Ugh, don't get me started on the loop. Im glad someone else has noticed too. Again, the NV sites complete map still shows the same two towers (from Jan) in the Loop as the only two to receive their LTE NV upgrades. LTE is almost non existent if you make a box from Congress east to LSD, North on LSD to Wacker, and then Wacker all the way along the river back to Congress. The 3G is the same old slow, bogged down, and likely 1X speeds at best. Most of the time I can't even get my device to update my email in this area, let alone emails with pictures or attachments, forget about it.

It's just that the speed at which Chicago saw its towers upgraded and light up from the burbs inwards towards the city was great, and almost predictably stable, then as we approach the Loop something changed, upgrades occur at a snails pace. Im not complaining, I just didn't expect this or see this coming give then pace we saw in the past. And if you are like me and work in the Loop and spend most of your weekdays there, then its very frustrating to live in such a rich and advanced LTE area, but spend most of your time in a proverbial LTE black hole.

OMG don't get me started on the loop. Im glad someone else has noticed too. Again, the NV sites complete map still shows the same two towers (from Jan) in the Loop as the only two to receive their LTE NV upgrades. LTE is almost non existent if you make a box from Congress east to LSD, North on LSD to Wacker, and then Wacker all the way along the river back to Congress. The 3G is the same old slow, bogged down, and likely 1X speeds at best. Most of the time I can't even get my device to update my email in this area, let alone emails with pictures or attachments, forget about it. It's just that the speed at which Chicago saw its towers upgraded and light up from the burbs inwards towards the city was great, and almost predictably stable, then as we approach the Loop something changed, upgrades occur at a snails pace. Im not complaining, I just didn't expect this or see this coming give then pace we saw in the past.

When I was in Paris and totally without a cell network I became an expert wifi hopper! I find myself doing the same thing in and around the loop. GrooveIP and Target or McDonalds' wifi is a more reliable call than cellular. I ate lunch yesterday at McDonalds and their Wifi was on the fritz so I was totally without functional data sitting there on State Street. Fortunately the Evo has an FM radio so I could get my NPR without data. I was jealous though of everybody else reading huffpost and checking facebook on their phones while I watched from my little Sprint Chicago Loop bubble where it's still 2004.

I know Sprint was having cash burn issues before Softbank, but it seems like they didn't invest in the network at all until NV. VZW didn't let the 3g network fall to pieces before starting their LTE rollout. The only explanation I can think of is they didn't have the financing or the cash to do anything...there's no way they would have planned to let things fall apart. I'm very pleased with my new LTE access where it is available though. When it's all done it will be marvelous.

Look man we're all sharing our experiences with sprints new network in and around Chicago... We know you have lte everywhere you go but other people who aren't as familiar with your posts or people new to s4gru might be confused by claims of lte in places where towers haven't even been upgraded. We don't all have the same equipment so our experiences vary, but willful misinformation damages the quality of the site. Ok now I can get off my soapbox lol

Look man we're all sharing our experiences with sprints new network in and around Chicago... We know you have lte everywhere you go but other people who aren't as familiar with your posts or people new to s4gru might be confused by claims of lte in places where towers haven't even been upgraded. We don't all have the same equipment so our experiences vary, but willful misinformation damages the quality of the site. Ok now I can get off my soapbox lol

And that's fine and dandy if it was just me but I play ingress with my fellow resistance players daily and ALL of us has a 4g signal while in the loop bro tyvm. Lol

Edited by mellimel2212