Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Chicago market is 75% completed according to the running list located here.

Some work has been completed at 75% of Chicagoland NV sites, but fewer than 50% are complete, and fewer than that have LTE at this moment.

I think this was already cleared up... but,

~75% of the Chicago market towers have received NV upgrades of some kind, either 3G, 800 SMR, or LTE.

~45% of Chicago towers have had LTE upgrades.

~25% of Chicago towers have 800 SMR upgrades.

This information is from mid-December, so the numbers may be slightly higher than that now.

• Like 1

Anyone else in Chicago having very spotty issues with coverage in the Old Town area? 3G has almost always been non-existent there and for about five weeks there was LTE coverage. However it's almost all but gone at this point.

Anyone else in Chicago having very spotty issues with coverage in the Old Town area? 3G has almost always been non-existent there and for about five weeks there was LTE coverage. However it's almost all but gone at this point.

Remember, when LTE is new to an area, it takes them time to adjust the radio tilt for best connectivity. I would imagine this process will be ongoing in an area as dense as Chicago proper. I would also imagine that some will have a hard time keeping signals in building with 1900mhz LTE, due to how old and dense some of the structures in the city are.

I posted a couple weeks ago about picking up a 4G signal in Dekalb area (actually Cortland/Maple Park just a couple miles east). Since that time, 3G data has been terrible, and voice is almost unusable. Called Sprint tech support, they confirmed tower work in the area is under way once again. They have no slated date for completion, all they knew is that it could take a while (weeks). They are definitely doing something, hopefully once this is done we've got some 4G.

Does anybody know why Sprint's coarse (network based) location is commonly accurate to only within 2000-3000+ feet? Friends on other networks are able to do significantly better than this. I was hoping that maybe this was something that would improve with network vision, and maybe it will when it's complete, but no such luck so far. I'm aware that turning on GPS is always more accurate but if somebody could shed some light on this I would appreciate it. This really only applies to Chicago, as I have no idea what it's like in other markets, and it is inaccurate even in the city where tower density is pretty high and you'd think it would have increased accuracy.

According to the latest (sponsor-only for more info) update, Chicago is now ~86% NV complete. Or ~61% LTE-enabled, if you don't want to include all of the sites that have 3G (or 3G + SMR 1x). 1x SMR has been accepted on ~29% of sites.

LTE has definitely improved in Downers Grove. I can get LTE in my house now most of the time :D!. However in highland park. Coverage is non existent despite the sprint site saying the whole town is covered XD. Checking the sponsor maps I know know not a single site in Highland Park has LTE. But I was able to get an LTE signal for some reason in Highland Park for a little bit even though no LTE towers are near... http://puu.sh/1Orxl/aa2d2f4cf490ec0e9d8e6d0fb605e047 It was a very odd thing but I am not complaining XD

LTE has definitely improved in Downers Grove. I can get LTE in my house now most of the time :D!. However in highland park. Coverage is non existent despite the sprint site saying the whole town is covered XD. Checking the sponsor maps I know know not a single site in Highland Park has LTE. But I was able to get an LTE signal for some reason in Highland Park for a little bit even though no LTE towers are near... http://puu.sh/1Orxl/...d8e6d0fb605e047 It was a very odd thing but I am not complaining XD

A new tower went active with 4G last week in HP by Deerfield Rd. and 41. As you can see from the Sensorly map (I mapped it going West) it is broadcasting although I don't think they've fully adjusted the downtilt as it is pretty weak as soon as you move a little away from the tower. I held onto the 4G signal while on Deerfield Rd. from41 all the way to Waukegan but it was essentially 1 bar the whole way after Ridge.

• Like 1

I hope Samsung has another 3-4 more major updates to chicago and wrap up that market to 100% complete so that the Samsung crews can move on and start building up other markets.

Samsung has multiple subcontractors for each market, so the workers in the Chicago market don't have anything to do with the work going on in Indianapolis, or Minnesota. Samsung will continue to hire subcontractors for each market.

Tower closest to me is completely down today. Barely getting a signal from the next closest tower 6 miles away. I hope this means they're doing work.

This is usually the case. Take a drive over there and snap some pictures if anything is going on!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

Does anybody know why Sprint's coarse (network based) location is commonly accurate to only within 2000-3000+ feet? Friends on other networks are able to do significantly better than this. I was hoping that maybe this was something that would improve with network vision, and maybe it will when it's complete, but no such luck so far. I'm aware that turning on GPS is always more accurate but if somebody could shed some light on this I would appreciate it. This really only applies to Chicago, as I have no idea what it's like in other markets, and it is inaccurate even in the city where tower density is pretty high and you'd think it would have increased accuracy.

I've never seen that with my market, usually picks me up with pinpoint accuracy.

What device are you using?

I've never seen that with my market, usually picks me up with pinpoint accuracy.

What device are you using?

He is using the EVO LTE. (Says in his profile). I am using the LTE myself and I have not noticed the issues he is having. Maybe he doesn't have the latest firmware/updates? Or GPS could be faulty?

He is using the EVO LTE. (Says in his profile). I am using the LTE myself and I have not noticed the issues he is having. Maybe he doesn't have the latest firmware/updates? Or GPS could be faulty?

He's stating that he isn't using the GPS. I don't think phones are able to get a better location than that without using GPS or WiFi.

Agreed. With GPS off (and no wifi in range) all the phone knows is the radii of the tower range. It might know the vector which narrows it down more, but it's still a huge swath.

With just wifi on, it can do a pretty good job... Assuming the wifi spot has been mapped.

hello,

any 4G LTE towers near north 1st street and Bethany rd in Dekalb ? I saw one near RT 64 and Peace rd , but I'm not sure if its owned by sprint.

I live in the Sycamore and was in Dekalb last night. No LTE as of 8:00pm last night, however, some of the towers have installed and working microwave backhaul in place. Towers include RT 23 & Whipple Road, RT 64 and Old State Road, RT 64 and Peace Rd (tower you asked about), and Taylor Street in Dekalb. Its just a matter of time before LTE is turned on. So to answer your question, no LTE at 1st and Bethany yet.