Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

ok so as expected they dont know anything except what they are doing themselves. They will be finished by tomorrow. i saw the radios on the ground and they are much bigger then i thought. It was interesting though' date=' they said they didnt work for samsung. this is tower CH50XC246[/quote']

They are subcontractors.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I was collecting Intel at the sprint store yesterday. According to the guys at the sprint store... the tech that was putting the LTE extender/transmitter in their back room said that they will be ready at latest September 1st.

I'm connected to the tower that workers were at that I referenced earlier. I'm wondering why when I look at the info on net monitor app that it has two different 'cell tower' numbers at the same site? example it switched between tower 618 and 619 at the same location.

I'm connected to the tower that workers were at that I referenced earlier. I'm wondering why when I look at the info on net monitor app that it has two different 'cell tower' numbers at the same site? example it switched between tower 618 and 619 at the same location.

It's the same site. The site number is 61. The sector number connected to at that site is 8 or 9.

I love next to a site that has BSIDs of 8097 and 8098.

It's the same site. The site number is 61. The sector number connected to at that site is 8 or 9.

In my experience, the sector-based BSID numbers on a tower are sequential, but it is not as simple as trimming the last digit and calling it the site number. For example, one hypothetical tower could have BSIDs 198, 199 and 200. I have seen multiple examples of that. I think the BSID is just a sector number, and Netmonitor does not report a site number.

In my experience' date=' the sector-based BSID numbers on a tower are sequential, but it is not as simple as trimming the last digit and calling it the site number. For example, one hypothetical tower could have BSIDs 198, 199 and 200. I have seen multiple examples of that. I think the BSID is just a sector number, and Netmonitor does not report a site number.[/quote']

Interesting. I have never seen that in my observations here in New Mexico. In one place we have a 8018, 8019 and an 8020. However, the 801 and 802 are two different nearby sites. Because if you drive around the 802 site, you will also see a 8021 and 8022. And on the other side of the 801 site, there is also a 8017.

However, we have seen anomalies between our markets in past comparisons. Interesting...

Hey everyone,

Anyone have any info on the near west burbs in Chicago (Oak Park, Berwyn, Forest Park)? Data service has been steadily getting worse over the last month or so. Average is now 25kbps on 3G.

Also I work in Oakbrook and the speeds have been off since late last week. Usually I'm clocking in at an average of 1.5 to 2.0 mbps on 3G and since Friday been barely clocking in at at 512kbps

Hey everyone,

Anyone have any info on the near west burbs in Chicago (Oak Park, Berwyn, Forest Park)? Data service has been steadily getting worse over the last month or so. Average is now 25kbps on 3G.

Also I work in Oakbrook and the speeds have been off since late last week. Usually I'm clocking in at an average of 1.5 to 2.0 mbps on 3G and since Friday been barely clocking in at at 512kbps

I'd help you out, but you're a Sox fan.

Seriously though, That info can be found in the Sponsor maps.

Hey everyone,

I'm not a sponsor, but I'd guess within a month or so. Whenever they start working on downtown because Berwyn is closer to the loop which is the last area getting the upgrades.

There is hope for Chicago. Have been suffering with poor 3G for the longest time only thing keeping me was WiMAX but now for some reason I'm seeing slower speeds. Can't wait for LTE launch here in chi town.

My 3G speeds in the west burbs have been a mixed bag, but generally pretty good. I hit a tower in Carol Stream that gave me >2.0mbps, and the lowest I've seen is ~300kbps. It's strange seeing such a wide range of speeds with little consistency between towers, at least coming from my last carrier (USCC).

My recent experience: coverage along Lake Cook Rd. through Wheeling, Buffalo Grove and Deerfield has basically been trashed this week. No bars, no "3G" icon. Data very, very slow to non-existant. Voice calls don't really work.

Schaumburg seems to be working a bit better, I've seen 3G data speeds up to 2mbps along 355. Bloomingdale, Carol Stream are working better as well (as noted above)

Further south, Roosevelt through Glen Ellyn, Wheaton etc to West Chicago remains very spotty. Crazy signal readings: no bars, five bars, back to no bars etc. Butterfield is also a mess from Oakbrook all the way to Batavia. Hopefully this is the low point for western suburbs, it's obviously driving me crazy.
Edited by Hiro11

i regularly get .2 - .5 mbps down speeds on 3g. it is pretty bad. most of my pings are around 15-200 but i will get over 600 a few times a day. this is in the north suburbs.

I was surprised to see the speed results on mellimel2212 showed it on teh evdoA network. i have been all over Chicago land both north and south and i am always on the ehrpd network.

eHRPD is just a software standard to help LTE and EVDO communicate, it's not a network itself like "3G". So when it says eHRPD on your connection, it's still only 3g (EVDO revA)

ya i understand that but isnt it applied to an entire market through the network core? if it is then i would think it would be seen in an entire market

ya i understand that but isnt it applied to an entire market through the network core? if it is then i would think it would be seen in an entire market

The exact method of eHRPD deployment is still a mystery. At least, to me it is. We know it appears. We know it does not appear consistently when it appears. We know sometimes it appears in markets that have not even started Network Vision yet. I would love to know more.

Robert

My recent experience: coverage along Lake Cook Rd. through Wheeling, Buffalo Grove and Deerfield has basically been trashed this week. No bars, no "3G" icon. Data very, very slow to non-existant. Voice calls don't really work.

Schaumburg seems to be working a bit better, I've seen 3G data speeds up to 2mbps along 355. Bloomingdale, Carol Stream are working better as well (as noted above)

Further south, Roosevelt through Glen Ellyn, Wheaton etc to West Chicago remains very spotty. Crazy signal readings: no bars, five bars, back to no bars etc. Butterfield is also a mess from Oakbrook all the way to Batavia. Hopefully this is the low point for western suburbs, it's obviously driving me crazy.

I work in lincolnshire and it's not unusual for me to get 1-2 mbit at my desk.

I was surprised to see the speed results on mellimel2212 showed it on teh evdoA network. i have been all over Chicago land both north and south and i am always on the ehrpd network.

If mellimel took those speed tests using the Nexus S in his "Phones/Devices" list, it would explain why he was on EVDO rev A. The Nexus S is incapable of using eHRPD and would connect to the cell site through EVDO.

• Like 1