Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Yah, 3G is horrible in the Elk Grove / Schamburg area.

250 down, 20 up. Full bars of signal (when it wasn't zeroing out).

Went into a Sprint store in the mall, wanted to play with a S3. Compared signal strengths, -79 for my epic,-83 for the S3.

Phone was purty though! And smooth operating. Must wait till a jellybean nexus!

Yah' date=' 3G is horrible in the Elk Grove / Schamburg area.

250 down, 20 up. Full bars of signal (when it wasn't zeroing out).

Went into a Sprint store in the mall, wanted to play with a S3. Compared signal strengths, -79 for my epic,-83 for the S3.

Phone was purty though! And smooth operating. Must wait till a jellybean nexus![/quote']

Work in elk Grove. Just beyond awful. Couldn't use phone in office if it wasn't for grooveip and wifi. Wimax would seem like a godsend at this point considering I'm lucky to get stream able audio on my commute. I don't get me started on how awful traveling for work is now I am at my wits end...

Ran a test today on my og epic running cm9rc1

This outside on the corner of Rt31 and wing park street. Results typical of Elgin. I haven't found a site yet to have backhaul updated.

This is a test I ran inside the Five Guys on Meacham rd in Schaumburg. This is what I used to get in Elgin prior to nv upgrades.

The waiting is just agonizing!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Was at Westwood for lunch next door and it's wifi or Nada.. My 3d worked fine in that place for a full year I don't get it

I noticed some strange things with speeds and coverage in my typical Chicago areas. I live in Lincoln Park and work in the Loop. First of all in the 1.5 years I have been living and commuting in this routine the 3G speed and connectivity has gotten considerably worse. I actually believe around the time Sprint started offering the iPhone4S (which is only 3G) things starting getting much worse on the 3G side of things. At this point 3G is almost un-usable anywhere I go in the city for anything other than calls/text as the speed is 100K or less and its riddled with disconnects and timeouts. As for the 4G I will say its useable at best, I get speeds between 500K-1Meg, but again its riddled with disconnects and dropouts. In fact the last few months I have noticed a lot less solid 4G connections where the phone is constantly dropping out of 4G and back to 3G in spots where 4G has always been rock solid. Suggests to me either complete saturation or NV is in effect.

More recently I noticed something strange. I take the Red Line to work M-F during normal commute times. Up until about two weeks ago I got coverage 4G above ground, 3G when it runs underground everyday without hesitation and could use my phone during the commute. Around mid June I noticed I was getting no service on the below ground run on the Red Line and poor 3G above ground, with extended no service runs after coming out of the underground (would take phone 10 min to find signal again). I assumed, without discovering this forum yet, that Sprint must be either having outages or doing work on their towers. I cant tell if this was the case, but last week things were back to normal in terms of the no service areas along my commute. 3G is back and working on the Red Line underground and 4G is back above. Im not sure what happened but now reading this forum it seems wise to assume that NV may have been underway here in the Loop, River North, Old Town, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville area....could be, could be?

P.S. As a side note I was at Arlington Park on the 4th, service was awful. 3G was un-useable ( I go down to 3G when my battery gets low) and I could harldey make a call, kept getting network busy, no data would come through on 3G at all. 4G worked fine on the data side of things, but again couldn't make a call. Not sure if that was NV or a crowded day at the Track, but either way...super crappy!

Edited by Joeynach

I noticed some strange things with speeds and coverage in my typical Chicago areas. I live in Lincoln Park and work in the Loop. First of all in the 1.5 years I have been living and commuting in this routine the 3G speed and connectivity has gotten considerably worse. I actually believe around the time Sprint started offering the iPhone4S (which is only 3G) things starting getting much worse on the 3G side of things. At this point 3G is almost un-usable anywhere I go in the city for anything other than calls/text as the speed is 100K or less and its riddled with disconnects and timeouts. As for the 4G I will say its useable at best, I get speeds between 500K-1Meg, but again its riddled with disconnects and dropouts. In fact the last few months I have noticed a lot less solid 4G connections where the phone is constantly dropping out of 4G and back to 3G in spots where 4G has always been rock solid. Suggests to me either complete saturation or NV is in effect.

More recently I noticed something strange. I take the Red Line to work M-F during normal commute times. Up until about two weeks ago I got coverage 4G above ground, 3G when it runs underground everyday without hesitation and could use my phone during the commute. Around mid June I noticed I was getting no service on the below ground run on the Red Line and poor 3G above ground, with extended no service runs after coming out of the underground (would take phone 10 min to find signal again). I assumed, without discovering this forum yet, that Sprint must be either having outages or doing work on their towers. I cant tell if this was the case, but last week things were back to normal in terms of the no service areas along my commute. 3G is back and working on the Red Line underground and 4G is back above. Im not sure what happened but now reading this forum it seems wise to assume that NV may have been underway here in the Loop, River North, Old Town, Lincoln Park, Wrigleyville area....could be, could be?

P.S. As a side note I was at Arlington Park on the 4th, service was awful. 3G was un-useable ( I go down to 3G when my battery gets low) and I could harldey make a call, kept getting network busy, no data would come through on 3G at all. 4G worked fine on the data side of things, but again couldn't make a call. Not sure if that was NV or a crowded day at the Track, but either way...super crappy!

Thanks for your comments about your situation. It's interesting to read your observations. The iPhone has definitely added more stress to the already overburdened 3G network. However, 4G WiMax is completely unrelated to Network Vision. Clearwire runs its own Network that is completely separate from Sprint for its 4G WiMax. That being said, I'm sure that the WiMax network is getting much more usage now that the 3G network is so bad, and especially since Network Vision is causing even further chaos to the 3G network. And Clearwire will not likely add any capacity to its 4G WiMax since they are switching to LTE themselves.

Robert

Thanks for your comments about your situation. It's interesting to read your observations. The iPhone has definitely added more stress to the already overburdened 3G network. However, 4G WiMax is completely unrelated to Network Vision. Clearwire runs its own Network that is completely separate from Sprint for its 4G WiMax. That being said, I'm sure that the WiMax network is getting much more usage now that the 3G network is so bad, and especially since Network Vision is causing even further chaos to the 3G network. And Clearwire will not likely add any capacity to its 4G WiMax since they are switching to LTE themselves.

Robert

Oh yes I am well aware its clearwire 4G WiMax network. I have just noticed as you described progressively worse service and speed in the last 18 months. As you presume, the lack of 3G spectrum has no doubt put excess strain on the 4G WiMax network. The 3G outage I experienced while riding the Red Line was strange, it lasted about 2 weeks, any thoughts on if that was network vision related? You're the expert, im just the end user (albeit highly educated I must say)!

Oh yes I am well aware its clearwire 4G WiMax network. I have just noticed as you described progressively worse service and speed in the last 18 months. As you presume, the lack of 3G spectrum has no doubt put excess strain on the 4G WiMax network. The 3G outage I experienced while riding the Red Line was strange, it lasted about 2 weeks, any thoughts on if that was network vision related? You're the expert, im just the end user (albeit highly educated I must say)!

To clarify, most of the 3G issues are not spectrum deficiencies as they are backhaul deficiencies. Sprint is not exactly rolling in spectrum in Chicago, but only in some very acutely burdened cells have they used up all their spectrum. When Sprint deploys Network Vision backhaul over its redone 3G sites, this should fix most of the 3G problems currently occurring in the market.

The schedule of deployment is so complex, that I cannot answer whether a specific area is actively receiving deployment around now. What I can say is that they are definitely working their way in. They are largely finished with exurbs, wrapping up the outer suburbs and now should be starting the inner suburbs and soon the Loop.

Robert

To clarify, most of the 3G issues are not spectrum deficiencies as they are backhaul deficiencies. Sprint is not exactly rolling in spectrum in Chicago, but only in some very acutely burdened cells have they used up all their spectrum. When Sprint deploys Network Vision backhaul over its redone 3G sites, this should fix most of the 3G problems currently occurring in the market.

The schedule of deployment is so complex, that I cannot answer whether a specific area is actively receiving deployment around now. What I can say is that they are definitely working their way in. They are largely finished with exurbs, wrapping up the outer suburbs and now should be starting the inner suburbs and soon the Loop.

Robert

Thanks for all the info. Def presents a problem, albeit temporary, for those in the market for a new phone right now like me. I cant stand this garbage Evo Shift anymore with its awful battery life and endless low phone storage, but the only 4G phones available (as it should be) are LTE, not like anyone should be buyign a WiMax phone anyway. Which means if you buy one, ur stuck on the struggling 3G until full NV is complete and/or LTE goes live. Could be several months, who knows. Not that I am a sprint store rep, but I couldn't recommend anyone to go buy a Galaxy S3 or Evo LTE 4G right now knowing they may be stuck in current 3G conditions for possibly 6 months. Just stick with ur 4G WiMax if you have one, sux b/c 4G WiMax phones are all outdated at this point, like mine. The only real alternative is to switch to Verizon, who by all accounts has a good local and national 4G LTE network, but then ur stuck both paying more for service and being placed on some asinine tired data plan. I guess the right way to put it, if your sprint, is to ask the customer would you rather be on an already saturated 4G LTE network in Verizon or ATT, or wait a few months and be on the fastest, newest, least saturated LTE network there is?

Thanks for all the info. Def presents a problem, albeit temporary, for those in the market for a new phone right now like me. I cant stand this garbage Evo Shift anymore with its awful battery life and endless low phone storage, but the only 4G phones available (as it should be) are LTE, not like anyone should be buyign a WiMax phone anyway. Which means if you buy one, ur stuck on the struggling 3G until full NV is complete and/or LTE goes live. Could be several months, who knows. Not that I am a sprint store rep, but I couldn't recommend anyone to go buy a Galaxy S3 or Evo LTE 4G right now knowing they may be stuck in current 3G conditions for possibly 6 months. Just stick with ur 4G WiMax if you have one, sux b/c 4G WiMax phones are all outdated at this point, like mine. The only real alternative is to switch to Verizon, who by all accounts has a good local and national 4G LTE network, but then ur stuck both paying more for service and being placed on some asinine tired data plan. I guess the right way to put it, if your sprint, is to ask the customer would you rather be on an already saturated 4G LTE network in Verizon or ATT, or wait a few months and be on the fastest, newest, least saturated LTE network there is?

You could buy a used Epic 4G Touch or Moto Photon to tie you over a few months until Sprint LTE becomes ubiquitous in the areas you frequent. I bought a Photon for under $175 recently. I think the E4GT is much less expensive than that. I don't think I would switch to a LTE device in the Chicago area right now if I was dependent on WiMax for my sanity, as it sounds like you are.

As for AT&T and Verizon. Meh. AT&T only has 5x5 LTE in Chicago, but doesn't have the site density that Sprint has and they also have double the customers. This is not good for the long term. Verizon only has their one 10x10 carrier. I predict they will have a short term capacity problem soon in very dense areas (like Chicago) before they start actively deploying LTE on AWS. But they have yet to even release devices that run on AWS nor complete AWS LTE deployment plans. This will not start to occur until 2014 most likely.

I think Sprint is a good bet for LTE, especially considering the cost and unlimited. It is going to be painful for a few more months in Chicago. But if you got into a new 2 year contract with ATT or VZW, you would be mad when Sprint gets LTE going in your area only a few months into your contract. I would definitely ride it out if I was in your shoes. But then again, I am a Sprint blogger. Dan Hesse could bitch slap me and I'd thank him for the privilege. Not really...

Robert

• Like 2

You could buy a used Epic 4G Touch or Moto Photon to tie you over a few months until Sprint LTE becomes ubiquitous in the areas you frequent. I bought a Photon for under $175 recently. I think the E4GT is much less expensive than that. I don't think I would switch to a LTE device in the Chicago area right now if I was dependent on WiMax for my sanity, as it sounds like you are.

As for AT&T and Verizon. Meh. AT&T only has 5x5 LTE in Chicago, but doesn't have the site density that Sprint has and they also have double the customers. This is not good for the long term. Verizon only has their one 10x10 carrier. I predict they will have a short term capacity problem soon in very dense areas (like Chicago) before they start actively deploying LTE on AWS. But they have yet to even release devices that run on AWS nor complete AWS LTE deployment plans. This will not start to occur until 2014 most likely.

I think Sprint is a good bet for LTE, especially considering the cost and unlimited. It is going to be painful for a few more months in Chicago. But if you got into a new 2 year contract with ATT or VZW, you would be mad when Sprint gets LTE going in your area only a few months into your contract. I would definitely ride it out if I was in your shoes. But then again, I am a Sprint blogger. Dan Hesse could bitch slap me and I'd thank him for the privilege. Not really...

Robert

No I agree with most of what you say. Though this reminds me of the broadband dilemma of the 1999-2002 period. I remember these similar quandaries; should I stick with my DSL from Telocity, switch to Covad, wait for cable modem, but wait if I do that I have to sign a contract, and cable modem is faster than DSL and said to be coming soon, but I dont want to go back to dialup to wait for cable, but wait maybe I should wait for DSL from my actual telco ATT, they are working on bringing ADSL right, better than what I got now...blah blah blah.

• Like 1

I was working in joliet today and lost signal for about 30 min. I powered down and when I came back on 4g was lit up! I ran a few test and the speeds we're sweet! I'll upload the screenshots in a few min

• Like 5

I was working in joliet today and lost signal for about 30 min. I powered down and when I came back on 4g was lit up! I ran a few test and the speeds we're sweet! I'll upload the screenshots in a few min

next time you are in the area, can you check 3G speeds? I'll be on my iphone for another year, hopefully speeds are averaging above 1.0 Mbps

is there anyway to tell what tower I was on? thanks for uploading the pics robert!

Not with any certainty. The apps we use to determine site locations don't seem to be accurate for LTE sites. You may want to try NetMonitor the next time you get a LTE signal.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Not with any certainty. The apps we use to determine site locations don't seem to be accurate for LTE sites. You may want to try NetMonitor the next time you get a LTE signal.

Thanks! I just donated so how do look at the maps!!
  • Like 1

Thanks! I just donated so how do look at the maps!!

I upgraded your account immediately. You can now just click on any Sponsor forum. Thanks for supporting S4GRU.

• Like 1

Ok, its early Saturday morning (7 am).

At my desk in New Lenox (which is just east/SE of Joliet)

3G: 1261 kbps down, 286 kbps. That is much better 3G speed then I'm use to getting. I'm sure low usage is helping with it. Normally never got above about 600 kbps down on 3g. (run 10 minutes later 980 down, 400 up)

4G: And now my wimax, which is usually fairly decent in the area won't connect, and I watch as my signal drops out totally and back to full several times in a row while it tries to connect to 4g and fails. (not usual). Rebooting phone. Still 4g issue's. Won't seem to connect or stay connected to 4g. Weird.

that's pretty cool that 4g was on in Joliet yesterday. I called sprint and received a "credit" for my service lately. They told me the towers around my home in Round Lake area would be completed by 8/12 and the area where I work in Naperville would be shortly after.

Is there any projection when Chicago LTE would be active around the burbs?

that's pretty cool that 4g was on in Joliet yesterday. I called sprint and received a "credit" for my service lately. They told me the towers around my home in Round Lake area would be completed by 8/12 and the area where I work in Naperville would be shortly after.

Is there any projection when Chicago LTE would be active around the burbs?

Hopefully it is done by 8/12 for round lake I'm always there haha .

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

ok so as expected they dont know anything except what they are doing themselves. They will be finished by tomorrow. i saw the radios on the ground and they are much bigger then i thought. It was interesting though, they said they didnt work for samsung. this is tower CH50XC246

yea im a sprint rep in naperville, the last couple weeks ive noticed that service is actually got worse... the worst part is ive gotten more information from this forum than i have from anyone from sprint. So thank you for the updates

Edited by rmathew313