Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Also, 20-30 is pretty typical from what we've seen so far out of 800 CDMA.

Miles? Don't I feel decadent being surrounded by them!

Ah, yeah, but that's up to the venues. Sprint can approach them about installing something, but it's up to the venue to actually get it installed.

Well right. You just can't go putting things on other people's property.

A tactic my industry uses to get signal hard-to-access areas is to ditch sectors and go with dishes, directional panels, yagis (tacos if you ask auto correct), etc. Use something with a 20* or less beamwidth and reduce transmit power if necessary. Can be used to overcome challenging RF and uncooperative facilities. Landlords can stop equipment, but not RF.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Anyone have any numbers as far as how much real world traffic saturates the airlinks? I'm not talking the 37.5 meg best case.

I don't know that info off the top of my head. You'd probably have to drag AJ into this to get a good answer.

*poke*

I was in Chgo Memorial day and was surprised at how bad things were around the City for service, for that matter being back in June wasn't good either. I happened by the Sprint store at North & Milwaukee and one kid working in there basically said that bad service was pretty normal but of course had no real info on how progress was really going.  Sad thing was I have been in the City 4 times this year but haven't been back since June. So far my next trip will be November and hopefully be much better for signal.  We only have one LTE accepted and live tower around the Des Moines metro so we're pretty much slow legacy too, but hope to have more soon. We have tons of sites that have been completed with NV so far.  Just waiting to have the magic switch thrown.  

*poke*

I felt a sharp prod but only because I stumbled upon this thread. If you want my input, you need to let me know more explicitly.

AJ

• Like 1

I felt a sharp prod but only because I stumbled upon this thread. If you want my input, you need to let me know more explicitly.

AJ

Well I wasn't part of the POKE but while we're talking...   You always have a good one when I see something you say, AJ !   :)

Greetings from Iowa.   

Dave

Same thing that happens to me at every event at Soldier Field, Wrigley Field, United Center, and other concert venues.  Sprint seems to have more capacity issues than spectrum issues.  Quite strange.  To me this implies they have made little to no progress with backhaul in the market.  If true, that would put them extremely behind schedule if we are to believe what some of the mods and people in the know have said about the original schedule.

check the update, u may like what u see with the update to solider field.

Well I wasn't part of the POKE but while we're talking...   You always have a good one when I see something you say, AJ !   :)

Greetings from Iowa.   

Dave

Greetings to you, too, Dave.  I have not been to Iowa in a while, but I enjoy the state.  As a former film student, I need to make at least one or two more trips to Des Moines to the Merle Hay Mall Cinema before it closes in the next year.

And if I have something to say, I try to make it insightful, humorous, or better yet, both.

;)

AJ

• Like 2

All major venues have DAS in them. Only now Sprint has taken the initiative to Tie into the systems. Its better days ahead for the network. Sadly we got a few more quarters before the public takes notice.   

check the update, u may like what u see with the update to solider field.

All major venues have DAS in them. Only now Sprint has taken the initiative to Tie into the systems. Its better days ahead for the network. Sadly we got a few more quarters before the public takes notice.   

Agree with u on the public not taking notice, that is why I stay away from sprints facebook or community fourms and just use s4gru :) . Not all major venues have das, the nfl was just complaining that not enough stadiums having a das system.

When I said "All" I just was speaking for Chicago.  Soldier,Wrigley,United Center All already had DAS installed. Just Sprint didn't tie into them until now.  Don't be surprise that they tie into the Universities DAS too. NIU, Northwestern, etc.  

The NV Sites Complete maps update.... there is a DAS system at Soldier Field now. 3G/4G/800

It will be interesting to see if they somehow magically slipped 800 LTE into the silly thing. That would just about fit the timing in Robert's map.

The NV Sites Complete maps update.... there is a DAS system at Soldier Field now. 3G/4G/800

Holy crap you are right!  You mean all the complaints to sprint via email, twitter, and on their community boards by not just myself but many many others actually had an effect on a large multi billion dollar corporation in making a change (and investment) to their infrastructure.  I am in absolute shock.  This is either the biggest coincidence on the planet, or this is the first time in history something like this has happened.  Did Sprint actually listen and respond accordingly, spending time and money to make an improvement after complaints?  Perhaps they already knew and had been trying to get into the DAS for Soldier Field at some time, but still WOW!

• Like 1

Holy crap you are right!  You mean all the complaints to sprint via email, twitter, and on their community boards by not just myself but many many others actually had an effect on a large multi billion dollar corporation in making a change (and investment) to their infrastructure.  I am in absolute shock.  This is either the biggest coincidence on the planet, or this is the first time in history something like this has happened.  Did Sprint actually listen and respond accordingly, spending time and money to make an improvement after complaints?  Perhaps they already knew and had been trying to get into the DAS for Soldier Field at some time, but still WOW!

That and a little extra money from big daddy helps too lol. I can't wait to see how many das systems sprint connect into.

That and a little extra money from big daddy helps too lol. I can't wait to see how many das systems sprint connect into.

Gotta put that $5B to use.  Glad to see it going to infrastructure and service improvement and not someone's pockets or some one/off investment like derivatives or something.

It will be interesting to see if they somehow magically slipped 800 LTE into the silly thing. That would just about fit the timing in Robert's map.

I was just thinking the same thing, I hope they do. Yet with 1900 in the stadium and 2600 around the area with the bandwidth u got solider field covered now and can actually surf the internet during half time or long tv time outs lol

When I said "All" I just was speaking for Chicago. Soldier,Wrigley,United Center All already had DAS installed. Just Sprint didn't tie into them until now. Don't be surprise that they tie into the Universities DAS too. NIU, Northwestern, etc.

NIU has one?

Yeah, it was installed in 2011. Last I heard only Vzw was tied into it.  But this was a few years back. 

On a side note I gotta tip my hat to ATT. They've been hauling ass building DAS sites all across the country. Its Great they make them for all carriers to tap into.  

NIU has one?

Not only was the site acceptance report update the most activity I've ever seen from Chicago, but it seems they've been pretty productive in other cities as well!. I wonder if Sprints contract with Samsung has penalties for each day that the project is behind the original completion date. I know the contractor doing the red line reconstruction has to cough up thousands of dollars per day if they don't finish on time. Funny how that can get a contractor to stick to a schedule! 

• Like 1

Not only was the site acceptance report update the most activity I've ever seen from Chicago, but it seems they've been pretty productive in other cities as well!. I wonder if Sprints contract with Samsung has penalties for each day that the project is behind the original completion date. I know the contractor doing the red line reconstruction has to cough up thousands of dollars per day if they don't finish on time. Funny how that can get a contractor to stick to a schedule! 

I don't know, my gut tells me the Red Line project contract is structured that way b/c the project is funded by and serves public domain.  I doubt there are anything near the kind of scheduling penalties the Red Line project has in comparison to the NV build out by Samsung here in Chicago.  I think the emphasis on Chicago comes strategically from Sprint marketing.  They have been very very active in promoting, promising, and now flaunting their new all LTE network in Chicago.  Their are signs, ads, and sponsorships tags everywhere in this city now.