Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Screenshot_2012-06-29-06-41-26.png Screenshot_2012-06-29-06-41-34.png

Did a few more tests on the way to work this morning. Here are some pics of speed resuts in downtown Barrington and just outside of Barrington.

I've never seen sub 100ms pings on 3G, wow

Were you moving around or stationary...?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

I took a few tests at different locations. I think I connected to 3 towers total.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

I'm at the end of my rope with this situation at this point. I'm going to call Sprint next week and ask for a partial refund or some other compensation. I feel as if I may have made a mistake re-upping with them. I know that I should be an "educated consumer" and read this site and understand that good stuff is (apparently) coming, but at this point I don't really care. Based on the results I've seen to date, the Chicagoland rollout of the new Sprint network has been handled in the most bungled, half-assed way possible. The network is extremely erratic and often completely non-functional in the entire Chicagoland area. Heaven forbid I try to stream music from Play or Rdio. God help me if I try to load up a heavy page like The Verge.

Did Sprint think that consumers wouldn't notice that they don't really have a functioning network in Chicago at this point and apparently won't for several months? What was their contingency plan? Were they hoping people just wouldn't complain? I'm sure Fight Club's recall equation applies in this situation. Suffice it to say, I'm not encouraged to believe that the LTE rollout will be handled well.

At this point, there's not much I can do except continue to use wifi for all data-intensive tasks and sync as much media as possible to the phone to avoid streaming when on the move. Everyone I've talked to who's on Sprint here in Chicago has (of course) the same issues. Many have complained and received some sort of compensation. I'm going to go the same route. Meanwhile, I'll continue to stare at my friends who are paying (out the nose) for Verizon and lust over their rock-solid LTE. My wife's up for renewal next month, not sure what to do.

Edited by Hiro11

Des Plaines is in a new active deployment area. Areas that are complete, like in the outer Western exurbs, the dropped call and data sessions should largely already be over. It won't be as bad in The Loop, because sites there have many more carriers and the possibility of transferring to the same channel is much less likely.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 3

Still waiting for the updates in Elgin. I know the updated the towers but the backhauls have yet to be updated. My contract is up and I'm just waiting for iphone 5 and the results of nv before I decide to stay or jump elsewhere.

Still waiting for the updates in Elgin. I know the updated the towers but the backhauls have yet to be updated. My contract is up and I'm just waiting for iphone 5 and the results of nv before I decide to stay or jump elsewhere.

Let us know when you notice 3G performance improvements. It will allow us to better understand how far behind the backhaul improvements are. Thanks.

Robert

I was in Marengo yesterday ( and i have seen a previous poster's picture of completed NV site in Marengo) I was getting from 1.5 mb to 2.1 mb down. By far the best Ive seen all over the northwest suburbs.

• Like 1

Sorry to post again..to clarify, although the wifi was on (service was broken and not connected to a modem) The galaxy chooses the fastest connection. sorry for the confusion.

I was in Marengo yesterday ( and i have seen a previous poster's picture of completed NV site in Marengo) I was getting from 1.5 mb to 2.1 mb down. By far the best Ive seen all over the northwest suburbs.

That's good news. I know the Marengo site backhaul wasn't upgraded as of 6 weeks ago or so. So we know that backhaul upgrades are indeed occurring at completed 3G NV sites around Chicago. Sometimes be it late.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

How long has it been as bad as you described above?

I started noticing real problems along rt 290 in the Schaumburg area in late February / early March. It has now spread and the performance in most of DuPage county is erratic and unreliable right now. I live in Wheaton and commute to Deerfield, performance is now substantially worse along then entire route than it was a few months ago. I'm not doing anything particularly bandwidth consuming, but the network can't seem to handle even these low-end tasks. Again, I'm well aware of the reasons for the problems, but as a consumer paying a lot of money for the service I'm not sure I can cut Sprint any slack. Looking forward to September.

Ran a test today on my og epic running cm9rc1

This outside on the corner of Rt31 and wing park street. Results typical of Elgin. I haven't found a site yet to have backhaul updated.

post-630-13412934248245_thumb.jpg

This is a test I ran inside the Five Guys on Meacham rd in Schaumburg. This is what I used to get in Elgin prior to nv upgrades.

post-630-13412936174787_thumb.jpg

The waiting is just agonizing!

ya im in the middle of the work zone now and im getting pings over 700 and .04mb/s down. its agonizing. most apps says there is no data connection and sometimes they are right. i have caught my phone sitting on 1xrtt a few times a day. that was b4 i my new evo LTE stopped working this afternoon

I work all over northern DuPage county (mobile) and the system is often unusable. My reason for posting is when I call Sprint to ask for compensation they insist that I wait til the system is fully functional. When I tell them many people have informed me that they have received credit, Sprint tells me they are liars and NO ONE has recieved credit. The reps tell me that if I file for credit it will be refused. Are they lying to me?

I was up in Schaumburg last week and going up again tonight. Last week I couldn't even run a speedtest the 3g connection was so bad. 4G was a bit better. Back down on the SW burbs (New Lenox area) my 3G has been suffering again in the last 2-3 weeks. It has improved a good bit but is hurting. Luckily I still get wimax for when I need it.

September and the new system can't come soon enough. Hopefully it will fix the many network woes we have been experiencing. Least I'm not getting dropped ALL the time on phone calls anymore.

I work all over northern DuPage county (mobile) and the system is often unusable. My reason for posting is when I call Sprint to ask for compensation they insist that I wait til the system is fully functional. When I tell them many people have informed me that they have received credit, Sprint tells me they are liars and NO ONE has recieved credit. The reps tell me that if I file for credit it will be refused. Are they lying to me?

That's a lie, I recieved 100 dollar credit the other day because we had got 10-12 dropped calls in a span of 5 min and it was a very important phone call!

Yep, I got a credit back for 2 weeks' worth of usage.

I work all over northern DuPage county (mobile) and the system is often unusable. My reason for posting is when I call Sprint to ask for compensation they insist that I wait til the system is fully functional. When I tell them many people have informed me that they have received credit' date=' Sprint tells me they are liars and NO ONE has recieved credit. The reps tell me that if I file for credit it will be refused. Are they lying to me?[/quote']

They're definitely lying to you. Get a supervisor on the phone and demand a credit for the poor service. I got a $50 credit a couple months ago because of the dropped calls.

Sent from my JB iPhone 4S using Forum Runner