Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Interesting, I wonder if you caught the crews running the new equipment through the paces during an installation....

I ahve been checking the towers as there are two right near me along 294 and golf road. i havent seen any crews yet. not to say that i couldnt miss them.

It might just mean that the network software is being updated to eHRPD in preparation for LTE to start coming online.

Sent from my CM9 Toro

well that would be good news. I did notice all of the June LTE towers in the updated map.

Stupid question.......but will you only see eHRPD as the network on Netmonitor if you have an LTE capable device? Or will it show on my 3G/WiMax phone.....?

Sent from my Epic 4G (WiSuck) using Forum Runner

Stupid question.......but will you only see eHRPD as the network on Netmonitor if you have an LTE capable device? Or will it show on my 3G/WiMax phone.....?

eHRPD ssessions can only be connected in a LTE device. A WiMax device will only connect to an EVDO session.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

eHRPD ssessions can only be connected in a LTE device. A WiMax device will only connect to an EVDO session.

Is this because eHRPD handles the seamless 3G to LTE and LTE to 3G transitions?

Thanks Robert.

Is this because eHRPD handles the seamless 3G to LTE and LTE to 3G transitions?

No. It's possible to create a 3G only device that could run on eHRPD. However, eHRPD was created to allow LTE devices to seamlessly transfer back and forth to EVDO. So, only a LTE device needs eHRPD.

eHRPD is EVDO-A, and doesn't have better speeds (all things being equal). In a completed NV site, eHRPD and EVDO-A share the same backhaul. However, EVDO data goes to the Sprint MSC Switch and eHRPD goes to the 4G DDC (Core). So on a complete NV site, EVDO and eHRPD should have nearly identical speeds. However, if there is a bottleneck at the Switch, it is possible that EVDO could be slower than eHRPD. Also, the reverse is true, but less likely.

Robert

No. It's possible to create a 3G only device that could run on eHRPD. However, eHRPD was created to allow LTE devices to seamlessly transfer back and forth to EVDO. So, only a LTE device needs eHRPD.

eHRPD is EVDO-A, and doesn't have better speeds (all things being equal). In a completed NV site, eHRPD and EVDO-A share the same backhaul. However, EVDO data goes to the Sprint MSC Switch and eHRPD goes to the 4G DDC (Core). So on a complete NV site, EVDO and eHRPD should have nearly identical speeds. However, if there is a bottleneck at the Switch, it is possible that EVDO could be slower than eHRPD. Also, the reverse is true, but less likely.

Robert

:o you're so smart........ lol ;)

• Like 2

Pleasant surprise at work this morning.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forum Runner

Do you work in a lead lined building? That's a weak signal for being relatively close.

Do you work in a lead lined building? That's a weak signal for being relatively close.

See comments in this prior thread in the Samsung forum here about testing aerxx's signal performance with a GS3 in his workplace. What we don't have are any controlled comparison tests of other devices at this location.

• Like 1

Home Depot.....

My OG EPIC was about the same.....maybe one bar better.

This is standing outside at the same location....

http://www.imgur.com/pr8Hm.jpg

• Like 1

Home Depot.....

My OG EPIC was about the same.....maybe one bar better.

Okay, now you have confused me. We started this conversation with you reporting,:

I get half the bars indoors that my OG EPIC would get..

Then you did some more testing of your GS3, and said:

1bar -101dbm

2bar -97dbm

This is what I have been averaging all day inside work.

You did not correct my extrapolation of that:

And your old Epic 4G was typically 3 bars or better in the same location? (That would correspond to -91 dBm or better on my reference scale.)

And now you say the Epic 4G's performance "was about the same" after all? Sorry, but this seems like a wild goose chase. It goes to show that anecdotal reports of performance, especially those that rely on somebody's subjective memory, are not very reliable. There has to be some controlled testing.

One day of testing is what was reported and I wasnt connected to eHRPD. I dont know if thats the difference or not. Im going to assume it is.

I kook forward to reading anyone elses results.....

One day of testing is what was reported and I wasnt connected to eHRPD. I dont know if thats the difference or not. Im going to assume it is.

There doesn't seem to be any significant difference with this eHPRD report and your earlier tests of the GS3 performance. My point is that your recollections of your old Epic 4G's performance at the same site have been all over the lot, which led to confusing comparisons.

EDIT: I don't mean this personally. None of us can really trust our subjective memories on stuff like this. That's why scientists do double-blind studies, etc. I know I have no reliable memory of what my phone's historical performance has been.

Maybe the term "half" shouldnt have been used. I now get 1 bar where I used to get 2. I get 2 where it used to fluxuate 3 and 4. In my eyes, that would make this phones antenna perform half as well as my EPIC. Even as I was typing this....my signal went anywhere from no service to 3 bars.

What made me say that its "about the same" today, is because I still have the same slow speeds and inconsistant signal that I have always had inside my work.

Like I said...I cant wait to see what everyone else sees.

There doesn't seem to be any significant difference with this eHPRD report and your earlier tests of the GS3 peformance.

This was a bad assumtion on my part. I thought I read somewhere that eHRPD sessions had a higher signal strength.....

This was a bad assumtion on my part. I thought I read somewhere that eHRPD sessions had a higher signal strength.....

I don't know if I would say eHRPD has higher signal strength. But what can happen: if you are comparing an EVDO legacy signal to an eHRPD signal from a Network Vision site, there may be some improvement. However, I personally would never say that eHRPD has a stronger signal than EVDO, because that would not be true technically.

Robert

workers at Tower CH13XC009 In Glenview @ Glenview Road and Greenwood. New radios r up and they are huge. Also they installed a fiber backhual through the gas station and down the street a good 100 yards or so to whatever it is they connect the fiber to.

• Like 4