Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

As the old adage goes, you can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

Sprint is willing to strike a non monetary deal with you to pay off your debt.  Sprint has a surplus of Samsung Galaxy Nexus.  To eradicate the old inventory, that is the only handset model your entire account may use from here to eternity.

AJ

• 2 weeks later...

Any info on why Sprint service has been horrible for past 10 days near Kedzie and Harrison. At first thought it was my phone but three other co workers having trouble. LTE was always available in our building but now we're lucky to get 3G, it's unusually 1x or extended 3G.

• 2 weeks later...

It has to be a tower outage by that area since my service has been great. Have you called it in or reported it?

Sent from my 2PS64

Well its been reported but the thing is that it seems like speeds all over in the Chicagoland area are dropping. I was just in La Grange and used to get 30-40 download now its 8-16. I know its very good but it seem like Sprint has just abandoned its upgrades. I know for a fact they are doing way less than they did 8-10 months ago, a personal friend is a wireless contractor (Crown Castle) that works on cell sites and said they havent had anything for Sprint in that timeframe.

Edited by Madfelon

Well its been reported but the thing is that it seems like speeds all over in the Chicagoland area are dropping. I was just in La Grange and used to get 30-40 download now its 8-16. I know its very good but it seem like Sprint has just abandoned its upgrades. I know for a fact they are doing way less than they did 8-10 months ago, a personal friend is a wireless contractor (Crown Castle) that works on cell sites and said they havent had anything for Sprint in that timeframe.

Is it possible that you have reached a cap and now your service is de-prioritized or under some sort of optimization?

• 3 weeks later...

I live in the Chicago West Loop and I have a question for the techies here. I just bought the iPhone 7 Plus. I understand this phone is capable of using carrier aggregation technology. I have run various speed tests around my neighborhood and the speeds I get are similar to the speeds I had with the iPhone 6. Is carrier aggregation live in Chicago? Also, how do I know it is connecting to carrier aggregation? Is there any indication other than running a speed test?

Thank you,

Angel

Carrier aggregation is enabled and seems to be all over the place around here. It is only enabled on band 41 however. Are you connected to band 41 when you try the speed tests?

Sent from my 2PS64

Carrier aggregation is enabled and seems to be all over the place around here. It is only enabled on band 41 however. Are you connected to band 41 when you try the speed tests?

Sent from my 2PS64

I'm currently connected to band 41 in a building right by the Sears Tower and I'm pulling 13 megs down. Is that ok for carrier aggregation considering I am in such a busy area?

I do not know a lot about IPhones but I imagine there has to be some sort of field test mode, that may tell you if you are using CA.

It sounds a bit low for CA but I don't know how congested the site is.

Sent from my 2PS64

I live in the Chicago West Loop and I have a question for the techies here. I just bought the iPhone 7 Plus. I understand this phone is capable of using carrier aggregation technology. I have run various speed tests around my neighborhood and the speeds I get are similar to the speeds I had with the iPhone 6. Is carrier aggregation live in Chicago? Also, how do I know it is connecting to carrier aggregation? Is there any indication other than running a speed test?

Thank you,

Angel

You also maybe on a clearwire site

• Like 1

I do not know a lot about IPhones but I imagine there has to be some sort of field test mode, that may tell you if you are using CA.

It sounds a bit low for CA but I don't know how congested the site is.

Sent from my 2PS64

There is a field test app that I use but I don't know how to interpret the numbers to confirm carrier aggregation

If your ever out in the NW suburbs Hoffman Estates has quite a few towers with it enabled. I pulled a 95mbps speed test out of one of the towers north of the tollway in Hoffman Estates.

Sent from my 2PS64

• Like 2

Any recommendation on a spot that has been confirmed to be a good carrier aggregation enabled area?

Sadly right now I am not much help, I am working in Kansas city area(which is heavy on the clearwire sites also). I do know that a lot of the sprint band 41 sites are more towards the suburbs, with some mixed in the city here and there. I suggest to donate some money to the site, that will help you find where the city sites are located. That will help with your search and other guys from this site also. But that will help you know where the sprint sites are located at least.

• Like 1

Sadly right now I am not much help, I am working in Kansas city area(which is heavy on the clearwire sites also). 

Hey don't bash the Clear sites! Ha

I've gotten my fastest speeds on Clear sites (130-140Mbps). Best I've seen on a Sprint site is 120ish. In KC that is.

• Like 1

Hey don't bash the Clear sites! Ha

I've gotten my fastest speeds on Clear sites (130-140Mbps). Best I've seen on a Sprint site is 120ish. In KC that is.

no bash on clear sites, just saying I cant verify the third carrier/ca for sprint sites when there is a lot of clear sites around. 

• 2 weeks later...

I still have some screenshots pending regarding carrier aggregation. I will get those this week.

However, I'm running into a different issue lately. Whenever I take my elevator in my building I lose the service signal (normal). As soon as I leave my building and start walking on the street I get 4-5 bars of signal but the service is 1x. It remains like that for the longest time. I have to go to airplane mode in the iphone and wait for 10 seconds. After I disable it then I am able to get an LTE signal. Has anyone noted this issue lately?

Thank you,

While the phone is transmitting and receiving data I found it doesn't scan for other bands as often. Did it start after a software update on your iPhone?

Sent from my 2PS64

It started happening after Apple rolled out ios 10.1. I'm still experiencing this issue. I just turn on airplane mode and turn it off again and it connects to LTE immediately.

It started happening after Apple rolled out ios 10.1. I'm still experiencing this issue. I just turn on airplane mode and turn it off again and it connects to LTE immediately.

I've noticed the same thing on my 6S here in Seattle a lot ever since Sprint 26.1 came out (iOS 10.1). The phone seems to fall off LTE a lot quicker and I'm seeing an extraordinary amount of 1x. I have reported it to my contact at Sprint and he is having their device team take a look at it. Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon.

• Like 1

I've noticed the same thing on my 6S here in Seattle a lot ever since Sprint 26.1 came out (iOS 10.1). The phone seems to fall off LTE a lot quicker and I'm seeing an extraordinary amount of 1x. I have reported it to my contact at Sprint and he is having their device team take a look at it. Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon.

Please keep us posted.