Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Anything holding them back? Hardware issues?

If both 5x5 bandwidth slices are beside each other, Sprint combines them and makes them into a 10x10 which improves top end speed, edge of cell reception, etc.  If the 5x5's are not beside each other, they will stay as 2 separate 5x5's as Sprints equipment is not configured at this time to be able to perform CA on B25.  2 5x5's means that you get double the total shared bandwidth but not double the top end speed.

In as many cases as they can, Sprint is trading some of their bandwidth with other carriers so that both end up with more contiguous bandwidth.  Both carriers can then change to 10x10, 15x15, or 20x20.

• Like 2

If both 5x5 bandwidth slices are beside each other, Sprint combines them and makes them into a 10x10 which improves top end speed, edge of cell reception, etc. If the 5x5's are not beside each other, they will stay as 2 separate 5x5's as Sprints equipment is not configured at this time to be able to perform CA on B25. 2 5x5's means that you get double the total shared bandwidth but not double the top end speed.

In as many cases as they can, Sprint is trading some of their bandwidth with other carriers so that both end up with more contiguous bandwidth. Both carriers can then change to 10x10, 15x15, or 20x20.

Great explanation. Thank you, you and tongboy.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This thread has been abandoned for long enough...

Yesterday I discovered a brand new sprint site on this T-Mobile owned tower:

32CB025B-3626-4207-B768-D7EC24A1EF1B_zps

From top to bottom it goes: T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T and the bottom is presumably Verizon (it's brand new too).

I guess that means sprint is adding sites in my area. Though I don't remember this spot being weak to begin with.

• Like 2

This thread has been abandoned for long enough...

Yesterday I discovered a brand new sprint site on this T-Mobile owned tower:

From top to bottom it goes: T-Mobile, Sprint, AT&T and the bottom is presumably Verizon (it's brand new too).

I guess that means sprint is adding sites in my area. Though I don't remember this spot being weak to begin with.

Location? O_O

Could it be a former Clear site or Maybe even an old USCC vacated site?

Location? O_O

Could it be a former Clear site or Maybe even an old USCC vacated site?

Good question, definitely not Clear, I don't think USCC either but they took those sites down pretty much the day after that was shut down so I could be wrong.

It's at 61st and Taft st. Merrillville, IN.

Good question, definitely not Clear, I don't think USCC either but they took those sites down pretty much the day after that was shut down so I could be wrong.

It's at 61st and Taft st. Merrillville, IN.

OOooo. That was a former Nextel location so a nextel conversion!

• Like 3

That is one fugly, ramshackle looking tower.

AJ

Now you hurt it's feelings!

Hurt it is feelings?

I can has cheezburger?

AJ

• Like 2

Hurt it is feelings?

I can has cheezburger?

AJ

Ugh! My bad... Now its feelings are really hurt!

I can't tell if the middle row is abandoned with the cables in place or if something is there...

Sent from my 2PS64

I can't tell if the middle row is abandoned with the cables in place or if something is there...

Somebody needs to get all of those sectors aligned.  The proper orientation is N/SE/SW.  As it stands, that tower looks like a first grader put it together.

AJ

That is one fugly, ramshackle looking tower.

AJ

This ones worse:

D327DABA-8D80-4F5B-8AD2-7046511D8656_zps

Ugh! My bad... Now its feelings are really hurt!

Sent from my 2PS64

IDK what the deal is with that center rack, I see a few towers around with those kinds of setups still. IDK if it's a WISP (do they even have setups like that?) or if it's from a defunct carrier.

This ones worse:

IDK what the deal is with that center rack, I see a few towers around with those kinds of setups still. IDK if it's a WISP (do they even have setups like that?) or if it's from a defunct carrier.

Those remind me of some of the US cellular setups we had around here in the north eastern Illinois area. A single tiny antenna per sector.

Sent from my 2PS64

Those remind me of some of the US cellular setups we had around here in the north eastern Illinois area. A single tiny antenna per sector.

Sent from my 2PS64

That's what they all were around here too. I thought the towers were abandoned or something. Guess they didn't need more then that considering they only ran PCS 1x/EVDO. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a connection flight through O'Hare today with a ~3hr layover - is service normally as bad as I experienced today?  There were 1-2 times I would get LTE connections, but mostly I kept changing between eHRPD (with !@#$ or something along those lines underneath), 1x, and no signal.  This was in the terminal with L gates (didn't have to move between flights much).   I was really surprised since in all other airports we hit on our trip (BWI, LAX & PDX) we had excellent/consistent coverage.

Had a connection flight through O'Hare today with a ~3hr layover - is service normally as bad as I experienced today? There were 1-2 times I would get LTE connections, but mostly I kept changing between eHRPD (with !@#$ or something along those lines underneath), 1x, and no signal. This was in the terminal with L gates (didn't have to move between flights much). I was really surprised since in all other airports we hit on our trip (BWI, LAX & PDX) we had excellent/consistent coverage.

Must be something that broke. Service has been consistently great there in all my experience the last few years.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Must be something that broke. Service has been consistently great there in all my experience the last few years.

You broke it, you bought it.  PythonFanTN, you now owe Sprint eleventy billion dollars.

AJ

Some "update" must have happen. Cause I'm being sent to ehrpd much more then I've ever been in the past year..

Had a connection flight through O'Hare today with a ~3hr layover - is service normally as bad as I experienced today? There were 1-2 times I would get LTE connections, but mostly I kept changing between eHRPD (with !@#$ or something along those lines underneath), 1x, and no signal. This was in the terminal with L gates (didn't have to move between flights much). I was really surprised since in all other airports we hit on our trip (BWI, LAX & PDX) we had excellent/consistent coverage.