Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Nice to see the Chicago map fill in with purple on the Sensorly map. Really seems like an official Chicago launch is just around the corner.

On Sensorly there is definitely more coverage on major roads/highways than on side streets. Is this a function of people simply more likely to be using it on major roads or b/c Sprint is first updating the towers along the highways and major roads rather than other towers around town?

• Like 1

Nice to see the Chicago map fill in with purple on the Sensorly map. Really seems like an official Chicago launch is just around the corner.

On Sensorly there is definitely more coverage on major roads/highways than on side streets. Is this a function of people simply more likely to be using it on major roads or b/c Sprint is first updating the towers along the highways and major roads rather than other towers around town?

Sensorly is crowd sourced. It only maps where people go. Every tower covers dozens of square miles, even the ones next to major roads and highways. But if people are only turning on Sensorly when they get in the car, most of those trips will be on arterial roads.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

I am up in Chicago for work (Alsip exactly) and the LTE here is active! The only issue is that my Galaxy Nexus will pick up a 4G signal, immediately drop it (it shows 3-4 bars) and then goes to 3G. Now if I force my phone to LTE only I get a great LTE signal (~3 mbps down and ~10 mbps up). This isnt the only city it has done that either, Kansas City did the same thing. Anyone know why? I am running CM10 if that would make a difference.

I am up in Chicago for work (Alsip exactly) and the LTE here is active! The only issue is that my Galaxy Nexus will pick up a 4G signal' date=' immediately drop it (it shows 3-4 bars) and then goes to 3G. Now if I force my phone to LTE only I get a great LTE signal (~3 mbps down and ~10 mbps up). This isnt the only city it has done that either, Kansas City did the same thing. Anyone know why? I am running CM10 if that would make a difference.[/quote']

Im sure it has something to do with the market not being officially launched. Maybe towers are in testing mode?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using JB 4.1.1

Yea I have been waiting to post about it but coverage in the cicero area seems to be getting better. At work I would jump in between 3g & 4g but today it was 4g all day. I ran a few tests and were between 4.5-8mb down. I will see tomorrow if I stay in 4g all day. If so they must have turned a tower on nearby because when I was jumping in and out of 4g I was getting 4g between 1.5 & 2mb last friday.

• Like 2

I was at the Intersection of Rand Road and Route 83 this morning, got 4G signal and did a speed test. It was 25.7Mb download and 7.8Mb upload. Blazing fast. However, my phone (Galaxy Siii) went into Eastern Time. Now I notice that whenever I get to a 4G area, the phone goes to Eastern Time, then when I go to a 3G area it reverts back to Central time.

Called Sprint for a laugh and they admitted it's a known problem, just like the dropped calls. Said I will get a credit at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

By the way, the tower in downtown Mount Prospect on Northwest Highway was putting out 4G, but is not doing so today. Sprint said it should be fixed in a few days.

I was at the Intersection of Rand Road and Route 83 this morning' date=' got 4G signal and did a speed test. It was 25.7Mb download and 7.8Mb upload. Blazing fast. However, my phone (Galaxy Siii) went into Eastern Time. Now I notice that whenever I get to a 4G area, the phone goes to Eastern Time, then when I go to a 3G area it reverts back to Central time.

Called Sprint for a laugh and they admitted it's a known problem, just like the dropped calls. Said I will get a credit at some point, but I'm not holding my breath.

By the way, the tower in downtown Mount Prospect on Northwest Highway was putting out 4G, but is not doing so today. Sprint said it should be fixed in a few days.[/quote']

I would definitely turn off automatic time until the fix is done. That can really mess you up.

Finally saw a tiny blip of LTE at Touhy and Central in Skokie/Niles while Sensorly was mapping my regular trip home from work. I'm excited because even though my calls and text were fine, data and using the internet on my phone has been abysmal these past few months in the part of Niles where I work.

• Like 1

I've read about LTE being available in parts of South Chicago, as well as in the surrounding suburbs, but I just wanted to mention that I just spotted an LTE signal on my iPhone 5 while leaving the gym at Broadway St. and Waveland in the East Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago.

LTE has been active the past two nights, but cuts off just block south at Patterson and Broadway.

Google Map Link

(Waveland & Broadway St, Chicago)

http://goo.gl/maps/qlMtX

Here is the SpeedTest results in case anyone is curious...

post-6107-0-72242300-1350030848_thumb.jpg

I am up in Chicago for work (Alsip exactly) and the LTE here is active! The only issue is that my Galaxy Nexus will pick up a 4G signal, immediately drop it (it shows 3-4 bars) and then goes to 3G. Now if I force my phone to LTE only I get a great LTE signal (~3 mbps down and ~10 mbps up). This isnt the only city it has done that either, Kansas City did the same thing. Anyone know why? I am running CM10 if that would make a difference.

1.) Check out this thread about the bars you see and your LTE strength. Those 3-4 bars you see are most likely 1x voice signal, not LTE signal. Same goes for 3G. OEM software always shows 1x voice strength in the signal bars, even if it shows that you have a 3G or 4G connection.

2.) Going along with #1, 3Mbps down is not a "great LTE signal". It is mediocre at best, and most likely means you have a very weak connection. I seem to be at the edge of LTE service for at least one tower, and it gives me, at most, about 6 Mbps at 4 AM. Most of the time, it's between 3 and 5 Mbps. Still better than WOW's 2Mbps home internet, but not great for LTE.

I just noticed you said 3Mbps down and 10Mbps up. Are you sure you don't have those reversed (10Mbps down, 3 up)? Because then, that would be good LTE signal. Maybe you meant 3Mbps down and 1Mbps up? That follows more closely with my observations in weak signal areas, but 10 down/3 up is just as likely in a good signal area.

3.) I'm not sure if this applies for your Galaxy Nexus, but on my GS3, CM10 doesn't have all the LTE bugs worked out yet. It holds a 4G signal fine if the signal is strong enough, but it still can't perform 3G/4G handoffs properly, so if you're in a weak signal area, it will constantly cut your connection completely, sometimes for minutes at a time. Do you know if anyone else using CM10 on their GNex is having LTE issues?

I would definitely turn off automatic time until the fix is done. That can really mess you up.

What is weird about my phone is that there have been a number of times that my clock has changed to Eastern Time and the connection is still 3G. Why would that be?

What is weird about my phone is that there have been a number of times that my clock has changed to Eastern Time and the connection is still 3G. Why would that be?

My guess is because the eHRPD connection goes to the same place as LTE, whereas you may be connected to just EVDO when your clock is in Central Time.

1.) Check out this thread about the bars you see and your LTE strength. Those 3-4 bars you see are most likely 1x voice signal, not LTE signal. Same goes for 3G. OEM software always shows 1x voice strength in the signal bars, even if it shows that you have a 3G or 4G connection.

2.) Going along with #1, 3Mbps down is not a "great LTE signal". It is mediocre at best, and most likely means you have a very weak connection. I seem to be at the edge of LTE service for at least one tower, and it gives me, at most, about 6 Mbps at 4 AM. Most of the time, it's between 3 and 5 Mbps. Still better than WOW's 2Mbps home internet, but not great for LTE.

I just noticed you said 3Mbps down and 10Mbps up. Are you sure you don't have those reversed (10Mbps down, 3 up)? Because then, that would be good LTE signal. Maybe you meant 3Mbps down and 1Mbps up? That follows more closely with my observations in weak signal areas, but 10 down/3 up is just as likely in a good signal area.

3.) I'm not sure if this applies for your Galaxy Nexus, but on my GS3, CM10 doesn't have all the LTE bugs worked out yet. It holds a 4G signal fine if the signal is strong enough, but it still can't perform 3G/4G handoffs properly, so if you're in a weak signal area, it will constantly cut your connection completely, sometimes for minutes at a time. Do you know if anyone else using CM10 on their GNex is having LTE issues?

I feel dumb because I have read that post multiple times. The RSRP is -105 (when in LTE only mode). But when I force it to LTE and ran a speed test the results were

2012-10-12%2B07.50.22.png

Edited by dcplaya

My office is in the Sears Tower...been telecommuting for a few months now, so no LTE reports from there, but on the old EVO Wimax, I got zero Wimax 4G signal on the east side of the building (about 30 floors up). We then got moved to the west side and with a desk facing the windows, I got a pinch of Wimax about 2/3rds of the time. Moving the phone a few inches to the left or right could make or break a 4G connect.

Will have to head back downtown one of these days when there's a bit more LTE action going.

I got this at 7:41 yesterday morning again at Monroe and Clinton (follow up from the same spot on 10/10/12):

254652_10101854188712851_1825396591_n.jpg

I also got a whiff of 4G at Adams and Wacker around 1:30 PM and wasn't sure if it was the same tower since the connection didn't last long enough.

I didn't think it was possible, but the 3G coverage has gotten worse as they flip on LTE on the North Side. I am averaging no data connection in Old Town and Lincoln Park while in the train. Hopefully this means we are in the final NV upgrades around here.

I feel dumb because I have read that post multiple times. The RSRP is -105 (when in LTE only mode). But when I force it to LTE and ran a speed test the results were

Wow. Those are very disproportional speeds. When I get similar download speeds, my upload speed is around 1Mbps. That's odd, to say the least.

Edited by EndlessDissent

Wow. Those are very disproportional speeds. When I get similar download speeds, my upload speed is around 1Mbps. That's odd, to say the least.

You quoted me earlier. Thats the speed test I was referencing.

Too all the Chicago ppl close to midway just received an LTE signal for a bit. They might be testing the tower or low signal since it came n went like nothing. Take it for what its worth and that is great news.

I also have the EVO LTE. I've been getting signal up and down harlem between archer and 71. One issue I have, is that the LTE signal doesn't activate until I toggle between airplane mode. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Lastly, on sensorly you will be able to see the area I am talking about which is getting the 4g signal.

Thanks

The issue is most likely at the site or network, not related to 4G itself. It may be the 4G core. If you are connected to 3G via eHRPD, then your 3G data is going though the 4G core.

I was at the Intersection of Rand Road and Route 83 this morning, got 4G signal and did a speed test. It was 25.7Mb download and 7.8Mb upload. Blazing fast. However, my phone (Galaxy Siii) went into Eastern Time. Now I notice that whenever I get to a 4G area, the phone goes to Eastern Time, then when I go to a 3G area it reverts back to Central time.

By the way, the tower in downtown Mount Prospect on Northwest Highway was putting out 4G, but is not doing so today. Sprint said it should be fixed in a few days.

Yah...looks like CH60XC054 (NV Complete 4G) is on the SE corner of that intersection (Rand and 83).

I've been getting faster upload speeds than download speeds on the North Side, but the signal has been rather weak.

The issue is most likely at the site or network, not related to 4G itself. It may be the 4G core. If you are connected to 3G via eHRPD, then your 3G data is going though the 4G core.

I had to actually turn on eHRPD under the *#*#DATA#*#* menu on my Galaxy Nexus. It was disabled for some reason. I could still connect to LTE when that was disabled as well as 3G but it never connected to eHRPD until now