Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Anybody have any idea how long it takes for them to activate the back-haul/new equipment?

It is so variable, that we cannot put a timeline to it. I'm guessing though you'll see something in less than 30 days in your instance.

Robert

This is around where I had it last night also. I was at the ice arena, but i had signal all the way west on Lincoln HWY until past elburn.

I picked LTE up in Maple Park on RT 38 on my way home from work today. I saw they installed a new line of radios on the tower at the corner of County Line Rd and RT 38.

EDIT: tower isn't on the map must not be Sprint.

• Like 1

Just looked down and noticed my new iPhone 5 finally showed LTE in the top left south of the city near Indiana.. Still showing only 3G in loop but hoping for it soon hit 13mb Down and 4mb up!! Excited!!

Moved your post into this thread, since a topic for your subject had already been created. Thanks.

Robert

• Like 1

Will a 4G network help improve call quality. Can someone take me through the dynamics of voice call handling in a well saturated 4G area. Most of Lake County, IL has strong 4G now.

Just curious to know how a 4G network with the new Network Vision can help? Below I have a screen shot of coverage north of Lake Cook Rd. while driving west and then NW on 12 to Lake Barrington, IL.

http://screenshot2012092412514.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by abepilot

Will a 4G network help improve call quality. Can someone take me through the dynamics of voice call handling in a well saturated 4G area. Most of Lake County, IL has strong 4G now.

Just curious to know how a 4G network with the new Network Vision can help?

Voice will not really be affected by the 4G network until VoLTE (voice over LTE) comes into play (which is years off still). For now, all voice is still handled by the Sprint CDMA 1xRTT network and in some upgraded areas, CDMA 1xAdvanced. Prior to the start of Network Vision, all voice was broadcast on 1900MHz PCS spectrum. With the rollout of NV upgrades, in certain areas where sufficient Nextel thinning had occured, 1 channel of CDMA 1xAdvanced started broadcasting in the 800MHz SMR spectrum that was previously in use by Nextel. This gives better building penetration and range when needed, saving Sprint on roaming fees incurred by customers losing signal in buildings and on the fringe areas of current service areas.

Just curious to know how a 4G network with the new Network Vision can help?

Voice will not really be affected by the 4G network until VoLTE (voice over LTE) comes into play (which is years off still). For now, all voice is still handled by the Sprint CDMA 1xRTT network and in some upgraded areas, CDMA 1xAdvanced. Prior to the start of Network Vision, all voice was broadcast on 1900MHz PCS spectrum. With the rollout of NV upgrades, in certain areas where sufficient Nextel thinning had occured, 1 channel of CDMA 1xAdvanced started broadcasting in the 800MHz SMR spectrum that was previously in use by Nextel. This gives better building penetration and range when needed, saving Sprint on roaming fees incurred by customers losing signal in buildings and on the fringe areas of current service areas.

And Chicago is one of those places where Sprint is currently deploying 800MHz 1x voice carriers for better voice coverage. You can see what areas already have 800 Voice service by becoming a S4GRU Sponsor and viewing our NV Sites Complete maps.

Robert

you know, for a topic called Chicago Land NV/LTE Deployment, we are doing an awful little amount of talking about Chicago.

Despite what you suburbanites feel, you are not chicagoans. I feel bad that the suburbs are hit with these momentary lapses in coverage, but we in Chicago have had terrible 4g coverage due to the terrible bandwith restrictions for years. I am waiting for NV so hard here. It feels like neither S4GRU or Sprint care about us. There is nothing even resembling a soft date for rollout for us. When I call sprint, and anyone I know that lives in the city call Sprint, we get a simple "youre in contract with us, deal with it" response. ugh, sorry to rant, but the situation for us fans of unlimited shiznit is getting rough

you know' date=' for a topic called Chicago Land NV/LTE Deployment, we are doing an awful little amount of talking about Chicago.

Despite what you suburbanites feel, you are not chicagoans. I feel bad that the suburbs are hit with these momentary lapses in coverage, but we in Chicago have had terrible 4g coverage due to the terrible bandwith restrictions for years. I am waiting for NV so hard here. It feels like neither S4GRU or Sprint care about us. There is nothing even resembling a soft date for rollout for us. When I call sprint, and anyone I know that lives in the city call Sprint, we get a simple "youre in contract with us, deal with it" response. ugh, sorry to rant, but the situation for us fans of unlimited shiznit is getting rough[/quote']

Actually' date=' as soon as that was sent i felt bad. Im sorry everyone, i realize this isnt the place to rant and rave, i just had this pent up[/quote']

I follow along most of your points, and I understand your frustrations. However, you are in an active NV/LTE deployment area and big changes are coming soon. You are just in one of the last clusters.

This is not a surprise around S4GRU, as we have been reporting since last Winter that the Chicago market was going to be deployed in clusters starting on the outside working into the City. This has always been the plan, and we have watched over the past 8 months in our Sponsors maps the clusters deploy as planned.

Although it has been frustrating for you, you can take heart in knowing that Chicago is farther along than any other Sprint market in the country, with the highest percentage of sites complete and the highest number of sites complete total. At their current rate of production, they should be complete by the end of the year with every site.

Samsung and their subcontractors have recently started working within the city limits of Chicago. They already have completed some sites at the very south end of the City. So, they are still coming.

As for your line about Sprint and S4GRU not caring, well...

I certainly cannot speak about Sprint caring, but I was very perplexed that you would throw S4GRU into that line. I have no idea what you would have S4GRU do to show it cares. S4GRU is a forum made up of wireless enthusiasts who track Sprint's Network Vision/LTE deployment. I think we care very much about the current state of Sprint's network and the future. We are very passionate about Network Vision. However, I'm not sure I understand what you expect from us and why you think we have let you down. It's the first time I've seen someone say something like that.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 6

I should say that the speed and depth of response to every issue by Robert and all the contributing members is a clear indication to how much they care. Last I checked no one here was looking into off shore accounts to hide their gains....

Thanks Robert, keep up with the good work. Maybe Sprint should start giving you a kick back for all the customers you've saved them......

• Like 6

I should say that the speed and depth of response to every issue by Robert and all the contributing members is a clear indication to how much they care. Last I checked no one here was looking into off shore accounts to hide their gains....

Thanks Robert' date=' keep up with the good work. Maybe Sprint should start giving you a kick back for all the customers you've saved them......[/quote']

Definitely no off shore accounts here. I'm just watching our financials to be sure we can at least cover next month's expenses. ;)

We live from donation to donation.

• Like 1

Do we know when the other completed sites will be turned on? I see that only certain areas have been lit, when compared to the map of completed sites. Also, I do see that in fact some completed sites are within city limits. Do we know how many sites on average are completed by the Samsung team per week?

Do we know when the other completed sites will be turned on? I see that only certain areas have been lit' date=' when compared to the map of completed sites. Also, I do see that in fact some completed sites are within city limits. Do we know how many sites on average are completed by the Samsung team per week?[/quote']

They are going back to completed sites and turning on LTE service as backhaul is ready. About 10 sites per week on average. However, it seems that newer sites coming online for the first time now occasionally have LTE on them from the get go.

On average, the Chicago market produces about 20-25 sites per week.

• Like 1

And Chicago is one of those places where Sprint is currently deploying 800MHz 1x voice carriers for better voice coverage. You can see what areas already have 800 Voice service by becoming a S4GRU Sponsor and viewing our NV Sites Complete maps.

Robert

Is there a way to tell on a NEXUS GALAXY LTE when connected to 800MHz 1X voice?

This forum save me from leaving Sprint at the end of the month. I live in Chicago near Taft High School and this morning I woke up to Lte in my area.. Thanks s4gru!

This forum save me from leaving Sprint at the end of the month. I live in Chicago near Taft High School and this morning I woke up to Lte in my area.. Thanks s4gru!

Edited by nene1973
  • Like 1

Is there a way to tell on a NEXUS GALAXY LTE when connected to 800MHz 1X voice?

You can go into the engineering screen and look for the channel' date=' I think its 25.[/quote']

Go into your phone dialer, enter *#*#DEBUG#*#*

Enter 777468 as your lock code

Select 1x Engineering

If it says Channel 476 Band Class 10, then you are on 800MHz. There is a small possibility of Channel 526 Band Class 10, but that is unlikely.

• Like 1