Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

But the Clearwire WIMAX implementation was very spectrum-inefficient, and was set up use multiple 10-MHz blocks on each tower/site, with adjacent sites not being able to use the same channels/frequencies.

Fixed services don't use the same frequency everywhere as it reduces SNR.

The xxxxx05 GCI I was connecting to two days ago stopped the next day.  Haven't seen it since then or B26 for that matter.  Back to pretty lackluster signal and throughput performance for being less than half-mile from the tower.

The curious thing is I could swear the 1x/ehrpd/evdo singal is slightly weaker since.

Berwyn (Oak Park Ave. & Pershing Rd.)

Edited by johnrockets

The xxxxx05 GCI I was connecting to two days ago stopped the next day. Haven't seen it since then or B26 for that matter. Back to pretty lackluster signal and throughput performance for being less than half-mile from the tower.

The curious thing is I could swear the 1x/ehrpd/evdo singal is slightly weaker since.

Berwyn (Oak Park Ave. & Pershing Rd.)

Same here. It's gone. And I also am dropping to 3G/1x in places I never have before. They're testing, or doing something. You can be sure of that. 26 I understand, because that's a separate antenna and needs to be adjusted, but the second carrier should just come online and stay online. What is there to test? It broadcasts over the already tuned pcs antenna.

I'll be spending my night in Rosemont drinking with friends. Surely, there will be band 26 or a second carrier present directly across the highway from O'Hare, right? :)

A guy can hope.

Picking up B26 today again.

Can you pick me up while you are at it?  I need a ride.

AJ

• Like 3

I'll be spending my night in Rosemont drinking with friends. Surely, there will be band 26 or a second carrier present directly across the highway from O'Hare, right? :)

A guy can hope.

Same boat in a couple weeks !  (except with an iPhone 5 I only get residual affects!!)

Picking up B26 today again.

It's also back in the far Northwest burbs.

I wonder what THAT was all about?

• Like 1

Just wondering. No more new antennas turned on for LTE on the West Loop? My LTE service is still horrible in my apartment.

Where do you live? Do you get no LTE or just slow speeds?

Where do you live? Do you get no LTE or just slow speeds?

I live on Green Street between Monroe and Adams. I get LTE but usually 1 or 2 bars and download speeds are usually less than 1MB. My signal usually jumps from LTE to 3G. My apartment faces west.

I live on Green Street between Monroe and Adams. I get LTE but usually 1 or 2 bars and download speeds are usually less than 1MB. My signal usually jumps from LTE to 3G. My apartment faces west.

Chicago is an NV complete market with only a smattering of non-LTE sites here and there. PCS can't always reach everywhere, even in a densely packed city. You'll greatly benefit from band 26 and our second pcs (B block) carrier to ease congestion. You probably just live in a bad spot, or the PCS signal can't penetrate your building.

Edit: what kind of phone do you have? Sprint has had Chicago officially spark launched for some time now, and spark is in many places in the loop. That won't help with in-building performance (unless you're really close to a tower), but it will certainly give you much better speeds.

I see you have the iphone 5s, you will be able to get 800 lte. Sprint is working on rolling that out in your area as we speak, That will help with the slow speeds and the 1-2 bars. I can only figure it is your apartment building(the material) that is is made, of that is not helping you get lte better coverage. Be patient and before you know it. You will have great speeds and better coverage soon

• Like 1

I apologize for asking this as it may be a sponsorship only discussion but when people are saying some place is a NV completed market or talking about completion rates, are we talking about it as measured now by Network Ops i.e. "gold market"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I apologize for asking this as it may be a sponsorship only discussion but when people are saying some place is a NV completed market or talking about completion rates, are we talking about it as measured now by Network Ops i.e. "gold market"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NV 1.0 complete means every single tower in the market has had it's physical builds completed, i.e. Chicago. Then there is NV 2.0 which is the addition of band 26 LTE, and adding band 41 td-LTE antennae to the same rack. There is also another band 41 project underway--a side project, if you will--where band 41 equipment is being installed on former clearwire WiMax sites. I believe that those are dual-mode WiMax/td-LTE antennae.

Just wondering. No more new antennas turned on for LTE on the West Loop? My LTE service is still horrible in my apartment.

There are only three towers in the West Loop proper (west of 90/94), one of them is still 3G only, but its the furthers one from you. 

There are only three towers in the West Loop proper (west of 90/94), one of them is still 3G only, but its the furthers one from you. 

So basically that means that only 800MHz LTE will improve my data speeds. I find it odd that for such a densely populated area, the West Loop only has 3 antennas servicing it. I hope we get new antennas in the future.

Thanks!

Yeah if you count the ones on the east side of 90/94. But I consider that part of the Loop, not west Loop.

I didn't and don't disagree with you. I was commenting on semantics in ChiwestLoops's post.

I didn't and don't disagree with you. I was commenting on semantics in ChiwestLoops's post.

So basically that means that only 800MHz LTE will improve my data speeds. I find it odd that for such a densely populated area, the West Loop only has 3 antennas servicing it. I hope we get new antennas in the future.

Thanks!

Lets not forget their are also Clearwire antenna's on their own unique towers in the West Loop as well.  Obviously that only refers to the B41 signal though.  I wont reveal location and numbers, but the tower density of B41 Clear Sites in the West Loop is greater than the density of Sprint's own sites.  I will leave it at that.

• Like 1

Lets not forget their are also Clearwire antenna's on their own unique towers in the West Loop as well.  Obviously that only refers to the B41 signal though.  I wont reveal location and numbers, but the tower density of B41 Clear Sites in the West Loop is greater than the density of Sprint's own sites.  I will leave it at that.

Besides B26 & B41, don't forget that the elusive 2nd Band 25 (EDIT: former Nextel USCC) carrier should come into play soon, if/where it hasn't already.