What type of 3G speeds should expect after NV is completed?

Countdown...3, 2, 1...before the requisite joke about Sprint being run by trained monkeys.

qowu49.jpg

Sprint-CEO-Dan-Hesse-vigorously-attacked-the-AT-T-T-Mobile-merger-in-the-Senate.jpg

Which one is Dan Hesse?

AJ

I believe that's YouTube's error 500 message.

Sorry, something went wrong.

A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation.

Edited by NiteSnow

Re: TWC fiber, at least around here fiber customers take a completely different traceroute path than HFC folks. It's odd, but in your case it may work out well enough that getting TWC fiber would be fine from a latency perspective. I know that around here the "tbone" is very reasonable latency-wise. But we are in a completely different market (Texas).

And yes, I'm bouncing between Colorado and Texas, so I can use "here" to mean both TWC and Comcast territory :P

When the cable co provides a service like this they are usually stringing actual fiber on their poles to the local aggregation point, of which they have many these days because when they subdivide the cable network into "nodes" it means the cable channels can be reused in each node (not unlike cellular actually). Some day they will probably end up pushing the fiber all the way to homes, which I guess is ATTs eventual plan by pushing fiber from the DSLAM pedestal the last few hundred/thousand feet (if they ever bother).

Part of the bids were picked up by ATT wholesale (if you can believe it), part were picked up by various alternate vendors, and part were cable companies. In cases where fiber could not be obtained to the tower, microwave is being used to bounce from tower to tower until it reaches a tower that does have fiber. I don't know if Verizon picked up any bids - they certainly could have with FIOS. So far I have only had two times late at night when it was offline for a few minutes in 8 years, but I don't know that they actually offer any guarantees.

For reference, a T1 is 1.544Mbps which is not even enough to saturate a single EVDO air link for a single user. Here at my house Verizon now offers 300Mbps FIOS. It would take 194 T1 lines to match that capacity, which would cost insane amounts of money... T1s use powered repeater devices on the copper lines about every mile (I think?) to keep the signal usable. It was great back in the day but now it is antiquated tech that is way too slow and expensive.

I believe Robert has said they are spec'ing 100Mbps to start with at many sites but they are scalable to 1 Gig on-demand if needed, with major metro areas presumably starting off at 1 Gig but don't quote me on that.

Bottom line is backhaul will no longer be the limiting factor and it should ultimately save Sprint money.

I don't know if Verizon picked up any bids - they certainly could have with FIOS. So far I have only had two times late at night when it was offline for a few minutes in 8 years, but I don't know that they actually offer any guarantees.

With FIOS speeds now hitting 300mbit... Sprint should just run cell towers off residential FIOS connections :)

Probably save them a ton of cash, heh

• Like 1

With FIOS speeds now hitting 300mbit... Sprint should just run cell towers off residential FIOS connections :)

Probably save them a ton of cash' date=' heh[/quote']

You say that as a joke. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the AAV is not Verizon FiOS in a few markets.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

You say that as a joke. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the AAV is not Verizon FiOS in a few markets.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

viva la AVV!

Soooo, what sort of general specs did Sprint layout for AVV?

Is there a minimum latency/jitter/packet loss spec from the base station to Sprint's 4G cores? What's the general amount of bandwidth available on an average site? You mentioned that each legacy sprint site averages about 2-3 T-1's... will new sites have, say 100mbit of bandwidth, 500? gigabit? :)

Drooling to know how much horsepower is there.

• Like 1

To Sprint, AAV is any other high speed backhaul not provided by an ILEC or microwave. Sometimes AAV is fiber. Sometimes AAV is from the cable company. Its basically any alternative high speed backhaul other than from an ILEC or microwave.

In this situation, for the most part, all backhaul in NV is equal. And here is why...

Sprint put out all the NV backhaul to bid. In the bid requirements, it spells the minimum specifications the bidder must achieve at each site. Minimum speed, minimum throughput and capacity, maximum allowable down time...every performance criteria. The bidders then could use any backhaul solution at each site that meets the criteria outlined in the bid documents and subsequent contract.

If Sprint limited the type of backhaul that could be used at each site, it would have taken years longer and a lot more money to complete NV. And since all the backhaul has to meet all the same specifications, there is no loss to Sprint for alternative backhaul uses.

The reality with 38,000 different locations needing high speed backhaul in a small schedule window means that Sprint needed to be flexible and open minded with the backhaul and do something different. I think this was a brilliant solution, because the site conditions at every site and what is available is very unique. Let private market people local to each market find the best backhaul solution to each site. Most markets have more than one backhaul vendor.

And if Sprint ends up having a problem with backhaul at a specific site, because it is not meeting contract specification requirements, all Sprint has to do is make a call. And the vendor has to do something to bring it back up to contract specifications. If they don't within 30 days, Sprint can hire someone else to provide backhaul and backcharge the original vendor.

This is a great system that will serve Sprint well, and ultimately their customers. No need to worry about AAV. In fact, we should embrace it. It is going to provide a brilliant backhaul solution to us all and allow us to have NV sooner. Viva la AAV!

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I really wish Sprint would have kept Embarq in its stable, simply because it serves 19 states with fiber... But its now known as CenturyLINK and serves no purpose to Sprint unless they're using some of their fiber now. If Sprint had them it'd be soooooo much cheaper to provide fiber to a lot of sites.

With FIOS speeds now hitting 300mbit... Sprint should just run cell towers off residential FIOS connections

Probably save them a ton of cash, heh

At a friend of mines work, they have a 100 megabit symetrical connection via fiber from cox cable. Very nice connection and I am not just talking about raw speed.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge