evo 4g lte getting hot

meatman1964

I was out and about Saturday, and I was using telenav on my new evo.

After a half hour using telenav and my car charger for power, I noticed that my phone was extremely hot. The top half of the phone the entire black plastic section was almost to hot to touch.

I plugged my phone in and used telenav on my return trip with the same result.

Is anyone else noticing any heat problems?

Have you ever heard this old joke?

Patient: My elbow hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Then don't do that.

Catch my drift?

;)

AJ

• Like 3

Have you ever heard this old joke?

Patient: My elbow hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Then don't do that.

Catch my drift?

;)

AJ

yeah I get your point but when I do deliveries at work I ussally need my gps.

No I wasn't using 4g.

I guess I will just keep a eye on it for the time being. As long as it's not causing any problems with the phone, it might not turn out to be a big problem. I only noticed it when I unplugged and put it in my pocket. It's not like I am going to hold on to it while driving and navigating

yeah I get your point but when I do deliveries at work I ussally need my gps.

No I wasn't using 4g.

I guess I will just keep a eye on it for the time being. As long as it's not causing any problems with the phone' date=' it might not turn out to be a big problem. I only noticed it when I unplugged and put it in my pocket. It's not like I am going to hold on to it while driving and navigating[/quote']

My Viper has been doing that lately with GPS or browsing the internet. It might be the prl.

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner

Do you want your high definition microcomputer phone to be fast, thin, or cool (temperature)?

Now, pick two because you cannot have all three.

AJ

• Like 4

I noticed this as well. I have just decided that I won't plug it in and run navigation at the same time. One or the other. Like WiWavelength said, if your phone is doing something like getting very hot, it's a clue that you shouldn't be doing whatever it is you're doing. Well, he didn't really say that; that was more like my exegesis of his words.

We will not tolerate posts that are directed at members. This thread has been cleaned up. Keep it civil to each other or I will issue official warnings to the offending parties. Thank you for your immediate compliance.

Robert

• Like 6

evo 4g sucks... i must make video... ahhh damn i am just so hungry tho, is that bread ahhhhh nom nom this sucks.... walking thru woods, must eat more, cough!! MAKE SMALLER this sucks ahhh im hungry... whatever maverick... is it me or is that the worst review video ever? the chubby manboy makes no sense!

• Like 2

My Evo 3d does the same thing. Its a bit of catch 22. You need to keep it on the charger to have battery power left. I believe charging creates heat. Running the gps creates heat. The constant on of the display creates heat. Anyway you are asking a lot . I do have mine mounted near the vent. It seems to help. All that processing comes at a price.

My Viper heats up when downloading from Google Play and from the Amazon App Store. My Evo Shift didn't do that as far as I remember. Of course, my data connection is much more stable on my Viper.

So at this point it appears that anytime the 3G connection is active and/or the GPS is active, both phones are heating up. And it seems to be affecting both the EVO LTE and the Viper. Now I'm curious as to if there is another cause.

According to my temperature app my battery is at 30.9C right now. Approx an hour ago while I was shooting some video and taking pic the device got noticeably hot and the temp was nearly 40C. I've never experienced video or camera use raising temps like than on my OG Evo.

It may have been related to the auto uploading to my dropbox. I keep my camera set at highest resolution so uploading that kind of data over 3G could raise temps I would assume.

My Evo 3d does the same thing. Its a bit of catch 22. You need to keep it on the charger to have battery power left. I believe charging creates heat. Running the gps creates heat. The constant on of the display creates heat. Anyway you are asking a lot . I do have mine mounted near the vent. It seems to help. All that processing comes at a price.

This. My e4gt gets hot hot hot on its car charger when i use nav. Valuable question to ask anyone that has adverse experience on a car charger would be: is the car charger being used htc oem or appropriately rated for the phone? I would be more cautious of this if I end up owning a phone with a non removable battery

My EVO3D does this as well. I have it mounted on a vent holder so it isn't a big deal. Remember that being in the sun is a huge contributor to heat for these devices so a window mounted holder may exacerbate the problem. I noticed this on the new Ipad as well. It simply is a near unavoidable problem really. These devices use battery quite heavily and to charge them while in heavy use requires a lot of energy from the charger (my evo3d uses a 1A charger).

That aside I have owned the phone a year and have used it heavily as I check vendor facilities often for my job (I do supply chain management) and have used the nav with every bell and whistle while charging and have noticed no problems with my phone.

• Like 1

I'm starting to rethink getting a case for this phone. If it's going to get hot then the last place I want to keep it is encased in silicone and plastic.

I'll just have to be extra careful with this. Thankfully my snazzy Old Navy cargo shorts have plenty of pockets to choose from.

I'm starting to rethink getting a case for this phone. If it's going to get hot then the last place I want to keep it is encased in silicone and plastic.

I'll just have to be extra careful with this. Thankfully my snazzy Old Navy cargo shorts have plenty of pockets to choose from.

Cargo pants FTW!

Sent from my LG Viper 4G LTE using Forum Runner