4G or 4G LTE indicator?

kkstp09

Is sprint going to use a new "logo" 4G LTE indicator on phones like Verizon and AT&T or go with just 4G. In the picture of the Evo it is just 4G.

Seems like if they want to keep customers informed about their technology they would differentiate them?

Is sprint going to use a new "logo" 4G LTE indicator on phones like Verizon and AT&T or go with just 4G. In the picture of the Evo it is just 4G.

Seems like if they want to keep customers informed about their technology they would differentiate them?

So far, the GNex, Viper and EVO all just have "4G" without any use of unique logo or reference to LTE. I have seen a few people that seem disappointed with this approach. Probably a missed opportunity.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

So far, the GNex, Viper and EVO all just have "4G" without any use of unique logo or reference to LTE. I have seen a few people that seem disappointed with this approach. Probably a missed opportunity.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I've only ever seen "4G" from the pictures posted when someone's on one of the Athens towers. Honestly, I know I'd be on LTE and Wimax handsets would know the same, since none are cross-compatible (well, those of us here know the difference :)). All I care about is when I finally start to see the experience in the Charlotte market. That'll be good enough for me. :tu: The LTE part would just take up more room on the top bar of the phone.

• Like 2

I really like the Sprint 4GLTE logo so I really hope Sprint uses the 4GLTE logo in the future phones. Its just that the wireless carriers have butchered the 4G term so it would be nice to let people that are not tech saavy know that the phone is connected via 4G LTE vs. 4G Wimax. I really like the Verizon 4G LTE logo and I don't think the Sprint 4G LTE logo would take up too much room on the top of the phone since the text doesn't have too big.

I really like the Sprint 4GLTE logo so I really hope Sprint uses the 4GLTE logo in the future phones. Its just that the wireless carriers have butchered the 4G term so it would be nice to let people that are not tech saavy know that the phone is connected via 4G LTE vs. 4G Wimax. I really like the Verizon 4G LTE logo and I don't think the Sprint 4G LTE logo would take up too much room on the top of the phone since the text doesn't have too big.

The thing is, if you're not tech-savvy, why would you give a crap about what kind of 4G connection you have? Those folks would have to first have the desire to even learn the difference between 3G and 4G. Most probably wouldn't even know to go and turn an EVO 4G LTE to CDMA only until LTE's deployed - my wife sure wouldn't, lol. Once WIMax is dead, LTE will be it for 4G...albeit, there may be different revisions - but again, who will care?

Tech-savvy or not, are you going to sit there and stare at your beautiful 4G LTE icon in the taskbar or are you going to get crackin' and use the snot out of your unlimited data? :lol: Honestly, I'm cool with either one...

Edited by unccjester

I think that adopting a "LTE" icon would be best. No need to preface it with 4G. It would differentiate itself from the WiMAX generation of phones. It's just a little thing that will let the customer know(or at least perceive) that this is different from the 4G phones of the past(WiMAX).

• Like 1

The thing is, if you're not tech-savvy, why would you give a crap about what kind of 4G connection you have? Those folks would have to first have the desire to even learn the difference between 3G and 4G. Most probably wouldn't even know to go and turn an EVO 4G LTE to CDMA only until LTE's deployed - my wife sure wouldn't, lol. Once WIMax is dead, LTE will be it for 4G...albeit, there may be different revisions - but again, who will care?

Tech-savvy or not, are you going to sit there and stare at your beautiful 4G LTE icon in the taskbar or are you going to get crackin' and use the snot out of your unlimited data? :lol: Honestly, I'm cool with either one...

I don't get what you mean if you are not tech saavy why would you not care about what 4G connection you have. Lets not play dumb here, even the non-tech saavy folks knows what "LTE" and "4G" is due to the massive advertising from Verizon and AT&T. All the non-tech saavy folks don't know is the details on how it works but they do know that when they see the letters "LTE" = fast data speeds. Why do you think so many people left Sprint for Verizon and ATT because in their minds 4G Wimax = crap speeds and 4G LTE = very fast speeds. Therefore its important for Sprint to capitalize on this in their marketing plan that their phones highlight a "4GLTE" icon to let the non-tech saavy folks know that they are connecting over LTE technology which in their minds equates to fast data speeds. 4G Wimax has already given the Wimax community and Sprint customers a black eye so Sprint should try to correct that image by differentiating 4G Wimax from 4G LTE.

Do you have some pics of the LTE logo you are talking about?

the bottom line is LTE is still in the 3G family according to 3GPP ;-P I believe LTE-Advanced will be the first true 4G network.

You are correct, but in 2010 the ITU gave the "pre-4G" network technologies WiMax and LTE permission to be classified as 4G even though they wouldn't officially meet the standards of 4G until they went to WiMax-A and LTE-A. http://www.itu.int/n...es/2010/48.aspx

I agree with you though, I feel it is false advertising to be marketing 3G technologies as 4G. Just because it is faster than what we generally consider 3G, doesn't mean it has made the jump to the next generation.

• Like 1

What does Verizon use as an indicator in the top bar? I know AT&T uses 3G for regular 3G, 4G for HSPA+, and 4G LTE for LTE.

Just a "4G" icon on the GNex. 4053d97b-eb65-b8b2.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

if its important enough to you, you can root your phone, pull out the systemui.apk (something like that lol), decompile it, make changes to the icon, recompile, then replace the original in the system app folder, then reboot, wipe cache/dalvik cache, and enjoy :P

What does Verizon use as an indicator in the top bar? I know AT&T uses 3G for regular 3G, 4G for HSPA+, and 4G LTE for LTE.

Verizon uses the "4G LTE" logo on their phones when connected over LTE.

I watched some videos of a bunch of Verizon 4G phones. Apparently the GNex is the only one of Verizon's LTE phones that only displays a "4G" icon, the rest appear to have a "4G LTE" icon.

• Like 1

I watched some videos of a bunch of Verizon 4G phones. Apparently the GNex is the only one of Verizon's LTE phones that only displays a "4G" icon, the rest appear to have a "4G LTE" icon.

Yeah that is because Google Nexus phones didnt put the graphic pic to differentiate between 4G HSPA+ and LTE. Google doesn't really care about that. I am sure the iPhone 5 won't differentiate either since the iPad 3 Verizon and AT&T versions earlier this year didn't have a 4G LTE icon when connected over LTE.

I just think it would be great for Sprint to follow AT&T and Verizon and add the 4GLTE logo when connecting over LTE so that the majority of the customers will know they are using LTE. I think it looks pretty good. Believe it or not, without the 4G LTE logo, some folks might think they are still connecting over Wimax. I still find it very weird that some folks still have not heard of LTE considering the huge marketing campaign by AT&T and especially Verizon for LTE.

• Like 1

I am sure the iPhone 5 won't differentiate either since the iPad 3 Verizon and AT&T versions earlier this year didn't have a 4G LTE icon when connected over LTE.

Unless things have changed recently, iPad 3's say LTE when connected to LTE and 4G when connected to HSPA.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Unless things have changed recently, iPad 3's say LTE when connected to LTE and 4G when connected to HSPA.

Well, I'll be...

LTE.png

For some reason I thought is said 4G the one time I held one. Oh well.

Robert

Now that I think about it, you might be right about that. Still its weird how Apple does everything so differently than everyone else.

Well, I'll be...

LTE.png

For some reason I thought is said 4G the one time I held one. Oh well.

Robert

It does when its connected to HSPA

Now that I think about it, you might be right about that. Still its weird how Apple does everything so differently than everyone else.

Apple does tend to think different.

XD

Believe it or not, without the 4G LTE logo, some folks might think they are still connecting over Wimax. I still find it very weird that some folks still have not heard of LTE considering the huge marketing campaign by AT&T and especially Verizon for LTE.

I dont believe it. Most people wont know, or care that they are connected to wimax, lte, or a 28.8 dialup modem..... they only care about 4G, which is dipicted by the "4G" icon already. If you are a totally nerd who has no life but to go on a messageboard and post weither or not LTE should be included in the connection status, then you already know that your phone is made for LTE and cannot connect to a wimax network anyways.

I would lol for real if mom and pop were sitting around looking at their 4G icon, going "am i connected to LTE or WiMax..... I DONT KNOW!!!"

I dont believe it. Most people wont know, or care that they are connected to wimax, lte, or a 28.8 dialup modem..... they only care about 4G, which is dipicted by the "4G" icon already. If you are a totally nerd who has no life but to go on a messageboard and post weither or not LTE should be included in the connection status, then you already know that your phone is made for LTE and cannot connect to a wimax network anyways.

I would lol for real if mom and pop were sitting around looking at their 4G icon, going "am i connected to LTE or WiMax..... I DONT KNOW!!!"

They do care what type of "4G" they are connecting to. Not all "4G" connections are created equal. Since AT&T, Verizon, Tmobile and Sprint have botched the "4G" name with the introduction of Wimax, HSPA+, its nice to make it clear that they are connecting over LTE. Its called "word" association...when people hear LTE it equates to really fast, HSPA+ equates to fast and Wimax equates to slow. I know its a nitpicky thing and I think of it as more of a reassurance and marketing thing. Like I said if AT&T is distinguishing 4G HSPA+ from 4G LTE then why not Sprint. Heck even the iPad 3 distinguishes between LTE and HSPA+ with the "LTE" logo in the pic when connecting over LTE and a "4G" logo when connecting over HSPA+.