EVO 4G LTE and Airave's

Rickie546

this is my second phone(EVO LTE) also. i did a couple of reset and it has stopped but i don't know for how long. I did find a temp fix for me. i just had to change the skin on the phone weird i know but it worked for a day or two. i did have the face unlock on but now i don't. don't know if that has anything to do with it either.

Also perhaps try hooking up the Airave directly to your DSL or cable modem and seeing if that fixes it? It probably won't but it's worth a try? If that doesn't work you might have to call Airave support directly 866-556-7310 and see if they can reset it completely? Or it might just be a bad device? This might be an issue with your EVO LTE if it never did it on any other phone? Have you tested other phones recently? What happens to you when you dial *99? My Airave always has issues when I dial *99 and 99% of the time it doesn't work. Maybe also try setting your EVO LTE to CDMA & Sprint only in network settings. I can't imagine the phone skin having anything to do with it but you never know? There is an app on the phone called signalkeeper, signalmaintainer or something similar I found while going through system files the other day.

5th

Edited by Fifth313ment

You said you have multiple phones on your account right? I once had an issue where when someone else in my house would make a call, and if I was just starting one or already on one it would beep? It went away after a few days but I can't explain why or where it came from. But I tested it and found that more than one person on the Airave would cause the beep? I hope it fixed it for you. You should try reconnecting your old OG EVO (if you still have it) via the Sprint website for free and it only takes a sec and then see if you still get it. Then switch back and see if it does it again. Of course only do this if it wasn't fixed by the reset.

5th

Also perhaps try hooking up the Airave directly to your DSL or cable modem and seeing if that fixes it? It probably won't but it's worth a try? If that doesn't work you might have to call Airave support directly 866-556-7310 and see if they can reset it completely? Or it might just be a bad device? This might be an issue with your EVO LTE if it never did it on any other phone? Have you tested other phones recently? What happens to you when you dial *99? My Airave always has issues when I dial *99 and 99% of the time it doesn't work. Maybe also try setting your EVO LTE to CDMA & Sprint only in network settings. I can't imagine the phone skin having anything to do with it but you never know? There is an app on the phone called signalkeeper, signalmaintainer or something similar I found while going through system files the other day.

5th

i've have done resets, CDMA only Sprint only and this is my 2nd EVO LTE and it still happened. I would call airave support tell them you want them to do a reset on your airave.

Don't still have the OG EVO. But no issues on my BB or wife's Nexus S. I set my phone to CDMA only as soon as I got it so that isn't it. I am going to call Airave support when I get home tonight.

Setting up an Airave is really easy and requires no modification of your main router's settings. No forwarding settings are needed.

Plug the WAN port of the Airave into a LAN port of your main router, that is it.

Do not plug anything into a LAN port of the Airave.

You sometimes will have to reset the Airave, push in the small reset button.

That is not always true depending on your setup (see link below). Sometimes you have to setup port forwarding, QOS, etc. And fixing the issues isn't always as easy as pushing the "reset" button.

http://community.spr...aw/thread/59464

What he said! I have an Airave sitting in the box now because it never set up correctly just plugging it in or following the instructions at the quoted link.

Slightly off-topic: Will there ever be a 4G LTE Airave?

Wouldn't it just be a novelty? If you think about it...the need for a home femtocell above voice/text usage isn't necessary. Data usage in a home is better served by WiFi. I personally wouldn't want my data to go through Sprint servers, if it can go directly to the internet. For performance and security reasons.

And we know that Airave owners already have an ISP, it makes more sense to use your WiFi. My friend has an Airave. The only time his 3G gets used is if I am over. Otherwise all his data use is on WiFi.

Sprint's LTE speeds on an Airave would be limited to the speed of the customers ISP. There are a lot of people with 3Mbps and 6Mbps internet out there. If you live in an apartment/condo complex, it could limit other peoples LTE speed.

Also, for many people, even a weak LTE signal will produce faster speeds than their home DSL service. If Sprint were asking me about creating a LTE Airave, I'd advise against it.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Wouldn't it just be a novelty? If you think about it...the need for a home femtocell above voice/text usage isn't necessary. Data usage in a home is better served by WiFi. I personally wouldn't want my data to go through Sprint servers, if it can go directly to the internet. For performance and security reasons.

And we know that Airave owners already have an ISP, it makes more sense to use your WiFi. My friend has an Airave. The only time his 3G gets used is if I am over. Otherwise all his data use is on WiFi.

Sprint's LTE speeds on an Airave would be limited to the speed of the customers ISP. There are a lot of people with 3Mbps and 6Mbps internet out there. If you live in an apartment/condo complex, it could limit other peoples LTE speed.

Also, for many people, even a weak LTE signal will produce faster speeds than their home DSL service. If Sprint were asking me about creating a LTE Airave, I'd advise against it.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

Yeah, I don't really see the point of including LTE on an Airave. You can pick up a wireless router for $25. It might make more sense for them to include Wi-Fi on the Airave instead of LTE.

That is not always true depending on your setup (see link below). Sometimes you have to setup port forwarding, QOS, etc. And fixing the issues isn't always as easy as pushing the "reset" button.

http://community.spr...aw/thread/59464

That guy is making it way too complicated. No port forwarding is needed.

And we know that Airave owners already have an ISP, it makes more sense to use your WiFi.

The airave stops your battery going dead, a good reason to have an airave, even if you use the wifi for data, or even if you don't even use your phone and its just in your pocket.

You still need an Airave for text messages (unless you use the google voice app) and incoming (atleast) voice calls.

If the Airave supported LTE, that might also extend the life of the battery, especially if your real LTE signal comes and goes, in and out if you're on the edge of the service area. This is something I'm not looking forward to see the affects of when LTE is turned on where I live.

If the Airave supported LTE, that might also extend the life of the battery, especially if your real LTE signal comes and goes, in and out if you're on the edge of the service area. This is something I'm not looking forward to see the affects of when LTE is turned on where I live.

I'm not certain of this. I keep both my EVO LTE and Galaxy Nexus in LTE mode, and get the same battery life as in CDMA mode only. We also have had anecdotal reports of people getting fringe LTE signals so far and not notice any difference in battery life.

If you think about it, your device does not always have to keep an active LTE connection to the tower like it does with 1x. You have to keep 1x connected at all times because of an incoming phone call or text may need to be delivered to your device. But LTE can go into hibernation, only needing to become active when your device needs to use data. Your phone still stays connected to 1x during this hibernation, just in case a call or text comes in. But your LTE connection can shut down until needed.

What probably would make a difference in battery life is during an active LTE session with a weak signal. But I don't believe you will see any drain in standby mode in LTE device, regardless of LTE signal strength.

Robert

The airave stops your battery going dead, a good reason to have an airave, even if you use the wifi for data, or even if you don't even use your phone and its just in your pocket.

You still need an Airave for text messages (unless you use the google voice app) and incoming (atleast) voice calls.

I'm pretty sure that Robert was saying that using Wi-Fi for the data usage and Airave for the voice/text makes the most sense, instead of trying to use LTE protocol for data over the Airave. My phone doesn't even attempt to locate a LTE signal when I am connected to Wi-Fi.

• Like 1

I am going through this right now with 1x and EVDO on the old airave. Even on WiFi the phone registers the EVDO connection if you look at the debug screen. I think it stays on idle but it still listens for it. This is what I think kills my data connection on my EVO. Sprint is supposed to be sending me a new one but I don't see an email from them or anything on my account yet.

Will it be the same when LTE rolls out with the new airave...hmmmm

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I am going through this right now with 1x and EVDO on the old airave. Even on WiFi the phone registers the EVDO connection if you look at the debug screen. I think it stays on idle but it still listens for it. This is what I think kills my data connection on my EVO. Sprint is supposed to be sending me a new one but I don't see an email from them or anything on my account yet.

Will it be the same when LTE rolls out with the new airave...hmmmm

You have the EvoLTE right? I was thinking about trying to setup my Airave/Airvana again but if you think it's borking the data on the EvoLTE then I'll pass. The voice signal benefits aren't worth the possibility of messing up my phone. There's the text message issue that others are reporting as well. I think I'll stick with the landline at home and if you call me on my cell just be prepared to leave a voicemail.

I'm pretty sure that Robert was saying that using Wi-Fi for the data usage and Airave for the voice/text makes the most sense, instead of trying to use LTE protocol for data over the Airave. My phone doesn't even attempt to locate a LTE signal when I am connected to Wi-Fi.

This is exactly what I was talking about. He didn't get that? :scratch:

Robert

• Like 1

This is exactly what I was talking about. He didn't get that? :scratch:

I get that the Airave can be used for 1x/3g data aswell as wifi. Do you get that I get that you got that? :jester: :wiggle:

People who live in poor signal areas use Airaves for voice and background data.

Data on my phone that gets downloaded in the background, such as PlayStore updates. I have not changed that to use Wifi only.

You have the EvoLTE right? I was thinking about trying to setup my Airave/Airvana again but if you think it's borking the data on the EvoLTE then I'll pass. The voice signal benefits aren't worth the possibility of messing up my phone. There's the text message issue that others are reporting as well. I think I'll stick with the landline at home and if you call me on my cell just be prepared to leave a voicemail.

Yes, I have the EVO LTE. But I also had the airave for about 4 years. It's the 1x only model. Which is why I mentioned it because I was wondering if the same issue would show its head when LTE rolled out. Read my post again...

• 2 weeks later...

My airrave has superior signal output than my WiFi router... In the back bedroom, WiFi is in and out. Being able to use the aorrave for my data at night in bed and it be 100% without having to run cat5 and a new router to my bedroom is nice. Obviously I could benefit from the airrave having LTE in this situation.