Jump to content

The Wall

  • entries
    407
  • comments
    6,195
  • views
    4,757,129

Contributors to this blog

Sprints preps for VoLTE with Magic Box update & removal of Calling Plus

lilotimz

1,821 views

Tim Yu
Sprint 4G Rollout Updates
Friday, September 28, 2018 - 8:10 PM PDT

In the past few day, Sprint began informing its staff and partners that the VOIP application used for LTE Calling on Sprint devices, Calling Plus, will be starting  to be decommissioned beginning with software updates to Android devices on the 29th of September. Sprint updated the Calling Plus FAQ to note this upcoming change to android devices via software updates yet to be rolled out. 

Quote

What happens to Calling Plus if I install the device software update?

Installing the update will remove the Calling PLUS settings menu. Wi-Fi Calling will remain in a new menu called Voice Networks menu. Simultaneous voice & data will only be available when connected to Wi-Fi.

The following is allegedly what the UI screen will resemble when the devices are updated to remove Calling Plus.

vIaAqp1.png
Photo Credit: Sean
 

Yes. That's right. Don't avert your eyes! 

The removal of Calling Plus heralds the arrival of the Opt-In VoLTE toggle. 
 

Magic Box Connections Enhanced

In addition to the removal Calling Plus, existing Magic Box's have already began and will continue to receive firmware updates that will enable the support of VoLTE in the soft launch regions. This firmware update, currently 15.15.50.514 / 60.7.46.0,  also has additional "enhancements" that will improve uplink performance and device handoffs between Magic Box's to and from other Magic Box's or Macro / Micro cells. 

This is what the screen appears to be when updated. 

Jqp8ea3.png
Photo Credits: Jim

So with all this work going on it's all on you Galaxy S8 generation users to tell us on your experiences with the the slightly delayed VoLTE soft launch in the coming days! 

 

  • Like 9


17 Comments


Recommended Comments

Why did Sprint choose to start with the S8/S8+ instead of the S9?

Does Apple have any say in the timing of VoLTE being launched on its own devices? Perhaps Apple didn’t want to be the lead devices for VoLTE on Sprint?

Share this comment


Link to comment

Sprint website says 2019 VoLTE launch commercially.

https://www.sprint.com/en/support/solutions/services/faqs-about-calling-plus.html

 

  14 hours ago, RedSpark said:

Why did Sprint choose to start with the S8/S8+ instead of the S9?

Does Apple have any say in the timing of VoLTE being launched on its own devices? Perhaps Apple didn’t want to be the lead devices for VoLTE on Sprint?

Guess they started to work with easier devices that support VoLTE. Apple does not have a say since the IMS is controlled by the carrier. Sprint writes the configuration to allow it for iPhones and Sprint and Apple get it pushed out.

 

  4 hours ago, derrph said:

I wish the iPhone X was on this list. 

Me too, and by that I mean all iPhones from 6 and above.

Share this comment


Link to comment

Heck yeah! I can confirm I got the Galaxy S8 Sprint calling plus warning me to delay the update should I want to continue to use the calling plus feature. 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Hi. Good Day! Will the Magic Box Generation 1 that Sprint used for trials, be getting the Magic Box software update to enable  VOLTE? Thank you.

Share this comment


Link to comment

We are in a non-soft launch market and our MB has now had the software update pushed. ?‍♂️

Share this comment


Link to comment

Hey everyone! I got confirmation from my contact that VoLTE is live. Therefore I did the update it is up and running in the KC area now on my S8. 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, ceopwong said:

Hey everyone! I got confirmation from my contact that VoLTE is live. Therefore I did the update it is up and running in the KC area now on my S8. 

From the two initial two calls I made the receiving recipients didn't complain about voice quality and I personally asked them if it was better and I got the comment of "night and day" out of one of them. Just my $0.02 into the conversation! 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
RedSpark

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, ceopwong said:

Hey everyone! I got confirmation from my contact that VoLTE is live. Therefore I did the update it is up and running in the KC area now on my S8. 

Can you ask if your contact can clarify the definition of a “soft-launch market” as it relates to Washington, DC?

I ask because I just updated one of our lines which has an S8+.  When I tried moving the toggle to enable VoLTE, I got a message that VoLTE is not available at this time. I’m in Bethesda, Maryland which is just outside of Washington, DC, but I thought this area would be considered part of the Washington, DC market.

EDIT: Nevermind!.... I just tried it again and now it works! Very cool!

Edited by RedSpark

Share this comment


Link to comment
4 minutes ago, RedSpark said:

Can you ask if your contact can clarify the definition of a “soft-launch market” as it relates to Washington, DC?

I ask because I just updated one of our lines which has an S8+.  When I tried moving the toggle to enable VoLTE, I got a message that VoLTE is not available at this time. I’m in Bethesda, Maryland which is just outside of Washington, DC, but I thought this area would be considered part of the Washington, DC market.

Hey RedSpark, I will say that it took several minutes after I just did the S8 update for VoLTE to kick in.  I initially tried to toggle it but he said that post update the SIM has to update with Sprint then it worked but he did not give me a time.  As I just went to my kitchen to grab an orange juice and play with the kiddo for a few minutes then I came back (estimating around 15 min) and then tried to toggle it again and woolah it worked.  I know this is not really answering your question but giving feedback about my experience and it might be a few minutes and try again type thing.  But I will ask him and see if Bethesda is included in it.  He did use the word "intense" and mentioned there were several delays so I am not surprised if the initial "soft launch" markets were modified (shrunk?) last minute too.  But I will toss the question at him.  

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
7 minutes ago, ceopwong said:

Hey RedSpark, I will say that it took several minutes after I just did the S8 update for VoLTE to kick in.  I initially tried to toggle it but he said that post update the SIM has to update with Sprint then it worked but he did not give me a time.  As I just went to my kitchen to grab an orange juice and play with the kiddo for a few minutes then I came back (estimating around 15 min) and then tried to toggle it again and woolah it worked.  I know this is not really answering your question but giving feedback about my experience and it might be a few minutes and try again type thing.  But I will ask him and see if Bethesda is included in it.  He did use the word "intense" and mentioned there were several delays so I am not surprised if the initial "soft launch" markets were modified (shrunk?) last minute too.  But I will toss the question at him.  

Hello! That’s exactly what happened. I tried it again after about 20 minutes post-update and it worked.

Of course, if you happen to get a clarification on the market boundaries or new device additions (iOS etc.) from your contact, I’d love to hear it. Thanks so much! ?

  • Love 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 minute ago, RedSpark said:

Hello! That’s exactly what happened. I tried it again after about 20 minutes post-update and it worked.

Of course, if you happen to get a clarification on the market boundaries or new device additions (iOS etc.) from your contact, I’d love to hear it. Thanks so much! ?

You're welcome!!  I told him the same thing about getting denied and then I tried the age old wait and see approach and in this rare instance it worked! :) 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 9/30/2018 at 11:56 AM, Elijah said:

Looks like iPhone was on that list. 

9602D0BA-A470-4BE7-831D-8BA3F1B1247D.jpeg

Hi do u know if sprint will do VoLTE for iPhone XR when released? Also I’m in Orlando area with an iPhone 7, any hints for when VoLTE will be launched over here? 

Share this comment


Link to comment

Still no info on that screenshot with the WiFi option on a current gen Magic Box?? 

Would love to confirm if the current MBs can use WiFi backhaul. This would make it a game changer for my in-laws in a service hole. I’ve been harboring their magic box since it’s unusable at their house. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
15 hours ago, burnout8488 said:

Still no info on that screenshot with the WiFi option on a current gen Magic Box?? 

Would love to confirm if the current MBs can use WiFi backhaul. This would make it a game changer for my in-laws in a service hole. I’ve been harboring their magic box since it’s unusable at their house. 

Those are WIFI hotspot option. It's not the WiFi backhaul bridge option that you need a GEN 3 for. 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×