Jump to content

Contributors to this blog

[PSA] Sprint begins Band 13 deployment in Puerto Rico

lilotimz

3,126 views

Tim Yu
Sprint 4G Rollout Updates
Saturday, April 7, 2018 - 6:54 PM PDT

A year ago Sprint and Open Mobile announced the beginnings of a joint venture whereby they would combine their network assets and operations together to create a better more competitive alternative on the island. In late 2017, the deal was consummated which gave Sprint access to Open Mobile's spectrum holdings in the PCS 1900 range and, more importantly, the 750 MHz Band 13 block. 

This LTE Band 13 is almost exclusively used by Verizon Wireless as the basis for their LTE network. In comparison to Sprints SMR 800 MHz holdings it is 20 MHz in width meaning that Sprint is able to utilize a 10x10 MHz lowband LTE carrier whereas Sprints Band 26 800 MHz is limited to 5x5, 3x3, or even non existence as in Puerto Rico due to spectrum hoarders and other issues pertaining to the IBEZ. With this spectrum, Sprint is now able and has begun the deployment of a triband 750 / 1900 / 2500 network in Puerto Rico!

See the following screenshots from S4GRU PR / VI market thread users!

iTYz68I.png

MxPuSSs.png?1

Note: UARFCN 5230 is 751 / 782 MHz center frequency. LTE Band 13 runs 777 - 787 / 746 - 756 which means it's smack dab in the center perfect for a 10x10 MHz FDD LTE carrier. 

Thanks to imatute and smooth25 for the finds!

 

  • Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1


10 Comments


Recommended Comments

Does this mean that Sprint will be adding band 13 compatibility as a requirement for its equipment in the future? 

Share this comment


Link to comment
6 hours ago, Thomas L. said:

Does this mean that Sprint will be adding band 13 compatibility as a requirement for its equipment in the future? 

Most Sprint devices already have Band 13 baked in so Sprint doesn't really need to change anything.

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 4/12/2018 at 4:24 PM, Robert7 said:

Sprint galaxy s6  has band 12  not band 13

That is one generation before Sprint started having B13 put into it's variants.

Share this comment


Link to comment

It's about time, even though PR already has band 41, unfortunately the VI won't be getting band 41 so band 13 will be a massive help to sprint customers in the VI. 

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 4/14/2018 at 6:37 AM, themuffinman said:

It's about time, even though PR already has band 41, unfortunately the VI won't be getting band 41 so band 13 will be a massive help to sprint customers in the VI. 

well hey its better then verizon having that band 13 !

  • Like 2

Share this comment


Link to comment
On 4/14/2018 at 6:37 AM, themuffinman said:

It's about time, even though PR already has band 41, unfortunately the VI won't be getting band 41 so band 13 will be a massive help to sprint customers in the VI. 

To be fair, I would say that PR has very very limited B41 coverage. In my experience visiting multiple cities and towns in the island, so far I have seen only 5 cities with B41 (I know there are a few more but there are not that many). Mayagüez (limited areas), Yauco, Ponce (limited areas), San Juan, Canovanas (limited areas). Is not like the entire island is blanketed in B41. By the way, it seems there is no B26 in PR or at least, I haven't seen it. Most of the time it's congested B25.

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, Skypr said:

By the way, it seems there is no B26 in PR or at least, I haven't seen it. Most of the time it's congested B25.

Which is why it is good that Sprint reached this deal on Band 13 (700Mhz).

The timing of the hurricanes occurred before Sprint decided to put band 41 on every tower.  Being now run by the joint venture, the Sprint sites in Puerto Rico may no longer fall under this edict and instead operate more like Shentel.  A quick search of ED and BR licenses indicates that Sprint has enough for 20+20+15 over the entire island and then some.  Virgin Islands appears to be not so lucky.

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, Skypr said:

To be fair, I would say that PR has very very limited B41 coverage. In my experience visiting multiple cities and towns in the island, so far I have seen only 5 cities with B41 (I know there are a few more but there are not that many). Mayagüez (limited areas), Yauco, Ponce (limited areas), San Juan, Canovanas (limited areas). Is not like the entire island is blanketed in B41. By the way, it seems there is no B26 in PR or at least, I haven't seen it. Most of the time it's congested B25.

A spectrum squatter owns the 800 MHz spectrum in PR / VI. 

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Agree. Sprint needs B41 and B13 in each site,  plus more spectrum in B25

  • Like 1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×