Backing up photos outside of iCloud

Azimuth

So I've run into a wall with my 6S 64GB and get pop-ups ten times a day telling me that I'm out of storage. I'll clean up a bit but soon I'm back to being out of space.

Part of the reason may be because I choose to keep original photos on my iPhone instead of "optimized" copies - where the original is on iCloud and my iPhone downloads a light-weight copy. The issue with this is that I found that data access was too frequent/heavy and I'd always be waiting for a photo to download (so not a fan).

Now as far as I'm concerned, there is a complete lack of backup options outside of iCloud and a MacBook. I'd like to be able to access and view photos not on my iPhone just as easily when backed up. This *includes* keeping the metadata intact.

Buying a MacBook just to backup photos isn't viable; an Apple Time Capsule isn't designed for iPhone/iPad; iTunes does a complete backup that cannot be accessed short of a restore.

What other options are there? This is a seemingly simple thing that is evading me and I must be missing obvious solutions out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are supposed to be apps even available for Windows that would allow you to backup your photos to your computer so you can get them off your iPhone and iCloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well let's see what the others say. If I do find a lekker (South African for "cool") solution on my own, I'll post it here.

This is the first time since my switch to iPhone and Apple that I've been stumped.

Granted I've not put a lot of effort into finding a solution because I've also been hamstrung by not having a laptop for 2.5 years. That changed a week ago. :)

Part of the reason may be because I choose to keep original photos on my iPhone instead of "optimized" copies - where the original is on iCloud and my iPhone downloads a light-weight copy. The issue with this is that I found that data access was too frequent/heavy and I'd always be waiting for a photo to download (so not a fan)

Was this slow for you? It's almost immediate on my phone, and the low-res version is almost always perfectly acceptable - I can barely tell the difference once the full-res photo downloads. (In a second or two)

Well let's see what the others say. If I do find a lekker (South African for "cool") solution on my own, I'll post it here.

This is the first time since my switch to iPhone and Apple that I've been stumped.

Granted I've not put a lot of effort into finding a solution because I've also been hamstrung by not having a laptop for 2.5 years. That changed a week ago. :)

Dropbox? Box? Tried either of those?

Sent from my LG G5

google photos, facebook

Not FaceBook. Not ever.

As for Google Photos, I tried it and loved it...until I found that all metadata was lost.

Dropbox? Box? Tried either of those?

Sent from my LG G5

I like Dropbox but it's expensive. I only have 10GB total storage space (free account).

I'll check out Box, thanks.

Was this slow for you? It's almost immediate on my phone, and the low-res version is almost always perfectly acceptable - I can barely tell the difference once the full-res photo downloads. (In a second or two)

Maybe it's improved? Perhaps it's worth a try again and could be an easy solution to my problem since I have 200GB iCloud storage.

Not FaceBook. Not ever.

As for Google Photos, I tried it and loved it...until I found that all metadata was lost.

I like Dropbox but it's expensive. I only have 10GB total storage space (free account).

I'll check out Box, thanks.

Through various promos I managed to accumulate over 100GB with Dropbox. Using automatic backup for the last 5 or 6 years still have only used 14GB!

Sent from my LG G5

Through various promos I managed to accumulate over 100GB with Dropbox. Using automatic backup for the last 5 or 6 years still have only used 14GB!

Sent from my LG G5

Wow you must not take many pictures or videos. I have 35GB just from my vacation in January. Thankfully Google gives free unlimited original backups for Pixel owners (I refuse to use the "high quality" option). I long ago maxed out my free Dropbox storage and had to stop using their auto backup feature.

On Android, all the meta data is preserved. I assume the same is true on iOS. The photos will also show up in Drive, which makes downloading the originals easy. It might be worth paying $2 for 100GB of drive storage for a month and using Google Photos to back them up in original quality. Then retrieve them with Drive or downloading them from Google Photos directly.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Wow you must not take many pictures or videos. I have 35GB just from my vacation in January. Thankfully Google gives free unlimited original backups for Pixel owners (I refuse to use the "high quality" option). I long ago maxed out my free Dropbox storage and had to stop using their auto backup feature.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Pictures yes, videos no. I have an actual camera I use for that. Total usage is 48GB, the phone backup part is 14GB.

Sent from my LG G5

I use the Western Digital (WD) My Passport Ultra 2TB to store my photos through Windows and also back up my laptop.  It is not that expensive but you have plenty of space.  Currently it is $90 US.

https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-ultra-new.html#WDBBKD0020BBK-NESN

I use the Western Digital (WD) My Passport Ultra 2TB to store my photos through Windows and also back up my laptop. It is not that expensive but you have plenty of space. Currently it is $90 US.

https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-ultra-new.html#WDBBKD0020BBK-NESN

I was assuming he wanted a more automatic solution. The My Cloud has a an app that does it automatically.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...