Router recommendation

travismheim

I was hoping some of you could recommend a decent router in the $100-$150 range. I've been a Verizon FiOS customer for years so haven't really had to look at anything else since they provided me one. I was hired by Charter last month and they provide free cable TV/internet/phone services to employees so I'll need to get a router of my own after I disconnect FiOS. I was looking at Google's WiFi router but it seems to be sold out everywhere, and had also heard about the possibility of a Sprint Airave 3 with WiFi support but haven't seen much else about it. My house is roughly 1200 sq/ft (roughly 50' x 25') with one floor and a full basement.

Ubiquiti AC Pro/ Lite + Edgerouteri.

If you want an AIO then a Tp link c9 or an Asus AC1900 will work on a dime.

Make sure you get the ethernet port of the ONT activated and a cst5/cat 6 cable ran to it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In my previous desktop IT consultant job/'former life', we installed Ubiquiti UniFi's (think the original ones though, not the model you suggested) in many businesses, so I can vouch for the hardware and actual usage/service quality - the only real negative I remember hating about it was how quirky the software client was to install so you could configure it. I know in a couple locations we could never get it working on Server and had to run it on one of the workstations instead.  Have they improved the software configuration client to any degree?

If you want an AIO then a Tp link c9 or an Asus AC1900 will work on a dime.

Make sure you get the ethernet port of the ONT activated and a cst5/cat 6 cable ran to it.

Thanks. My ONT is already set up that way. When I had service originally installed the technician did that for me so I could use my own router if I wanted even though I ended up sticking with theirs. I'll be disconnecting my FiOS service for cable, since Charter provides free services for its employees.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

I was hoping some of you could recommend a decent router in the $100-$150 range. I've been a Verizon FiOS customer for years so haven't really had to look at anything else since they provided me one. I was hired by Charter last month and they provide free cable TV/internet/phone services to employees so I'll need to get a router of my own after I disconnect FiOS. I was looking at Google's WiFi router but it seems to be sold out everywhere, and had also heard about the possibility of a Sprint Airave 3 with WiFi support but haven't seen much else about it. My house is roughly 1200 sq/ft (roughly 50' x 25') with one floor and a full basement.

Sprint offer customers a free Dual band Asus router. It is a free 1 year "lease" and after the year it's yours to keep. The router works extremely well IMO.

Try calling Sprint up.

https://www.sprint.com/landings/airave/?ECID=vanity:inhomecoverage

• Like 2

Sprint offer customers a free Dual band Asus router. It is a free 1 year "lease" and after the year it's yours to keep. The router works extremely well IMO.

Try calling Sprint up.

I couldn't get that router because I have an Airave, they wouldn't even let me pay for it when it came out. I'll try calling about it again, maybe their policies have changed.

• Like 1

In my previous desktop IT consultant job/'former life', we installed Ubiquiti UniFi's (think the original ones though, not the model you suggested) in many businesses, so I can vouch for the hardware and actual usage/service quality - the only real negative I remember hating about it was how quirky the software client was to install so you could configure it. I know in a couple locations we could never get it working on Server and had to run it on one of the workstations instead.  Have they improved the software configuration client to any degree?

Much much better since the original UniFi Aps. 

They've created easy "how to" walk through guides on how to get a basic network up on the Edgerouter X / Lite now with the constant software updates and revisions. The APs are super simple to set up too since it can be done via phone app and seamlessly works with the router or as stand alones. 

• Like 3

Much much better since the original UniFi Aps.

They've created easy "how to" walk through guides on how to get a basic network up on the Edgerouter X / Lite now with the constant software updates and revisions. The APs are super simple to set up too since it can be done via phone app and seamlessly works with the router or as stand alones.

Awesome, thanks for the insight. I'm unfamiliar with their router offerings; we generally were setting up UniFi's in established network environments anyway, but when new equipment had to go in,the company I worked for pretty much swore by Cisco and/or Netgear products in addition to SonicWalls for the core setup.

I'll have to look into that combo for home...I'm ironically running the predecessor to one of your AIO rec's currently, as I have the TP Archer C8. I've been pretty happy with it.

TMobile's AC68U is on sale all the time for $60.  Keep an eye out on slickdeals.net.  It takes 15 minutes to install the stock or custom firmware if you don't keep the stock TMobile firmware. 

AC1900 or higher ASUS and Netgear are the top brands.  AC1750 it is TPLink and ASUS.  I wouldn't go lower than AC1750.

Will you need the airwave if you have a wifi router (for wifi calls / text?).  Return the airwave and grab Sprint's router?

If you have technical skills and like playing around with things I'd highly recommend pfsense (or other similar linux distro) installed on a spare computer or buy some hardware for one.  If size doesn't matter you can pick up a Dell Optiplex SFF 990 for $100 and go buy an Intel 1Gb NIC for it.  Then get a Ubiquiti AP.

I couldn't get that router because I have an Airave, they wouldn't even let me pay for it when it came out. I'll try calling about it again, maybe their policies have changed.

Try again. Tell them the airave isn't reaching your entire house.

Try calling Sprint up.

I have the tmo (yes boo hiss etc) version which I believe is essentially the same rebranded asus router. It's performed excellently for me. It has a decent feature set (vpn in and out, dish sharing, media server etc). However, at work we have about 100+ Ubiquiti access points and they have fantastic radios in them. while they aren't targetted at home use they are probably about the best radios you can get with regards to reliability and coverage. We are also testing some of their p2p wireless links and they seem very impressive also. 

I went the unifi security gateway route when I recently upgraded from a 5 year old N router that was giving me problems. It was setup in ~10 minutes even though I still go into look at the DPI every once and a while. DPI is just traffic stats(Deep Packet Inspection) to see who/what is using the internet. Youtube channel Crosstalk Solutions has some nice unboxing to finished setup videos.

Try again. Tell them the airave isn't reaching your entire house.

I called tonight and they supposedly put in the order for me after argueing for a bit about my service. It's been a while, but I recall they did that before when it first came out and it got rejected because I already had an Airave. I'll have to wait and see what happens, thank you for the info.

In terms of routers + Mesh, I think AmpliFi is the best looking so far and reviews well, has good performance.  Made by Ubiquiti.  The Portal is huge and if it had a bit of a yellow hue to it, it would look like a device straight from the 90s, lol.

In terms of routers + Mesh, I think AmpliFi is the best looking so far and reviews well, has good performance. Made by Ubiquiti. The Portal is huge and if it had a bit of a yellow hue to it, it would look like a device straight from the 90s, lol.

ApliFi we tested at a client's mansion, no good. Great for small house.

In terms of routers + Mesh, I think AmpliFi is the best looking so far and reviews well, has good performance. Made by Ubiquiti. The Portal is huge and if it had a bit of a yellow hue to it, it would look like a device straight from the 90s, lol.

The best would be the netgear orbi since it uses dedicated WiFi channels for the backhaul link and doesn't merely just act as a repeater.

• Like 2

What I want is a number of small devices that can all be hooked up via Ethernet to distribute my wifi throughout my house. My house is wired in nearly every room. Currently I have 2 SSIDs, one that works better upstairs and one that works better downstairs.

I thought Google WiFi would be right, but apparently you can't hook all of the pucks up on the same switch. You can if you put the main device before the switch and then put the rest of them on the switch (I think), but their documentation is actually too dumbed down for me to understand.

What I want is a number of small devices that can all be hooked up via Ethernet to distribute my wifi throughout my house. My house is wired in nearly every room. Currently I have 2 SSIDs, one that works better upstairs and one that works better downstairs.

I thought Google WiFi would be right, but apparently you can't hook all of the pucks up on the same switch. You can if you put the main device before the switch and then put the rest of them on the switch (I think), but their documentation is actually too dumbed down for me to understand.

I believe you can use DD-WRT (a router firmware) installed on some basic routers and make this happen. If you already have wires running to where you'd want the Access Poings (APs) then it's even easier and faster.

I seriously can't believe someone would go out and spend hundreds on the latest and greatest mesh networking when a few that I've looked up really don't do much better than just a few dd-wrt routers setup in repeater mode.

And yes AC is great and will eventually be awesome for everyone but odds are you don't have every device in your home with AC (plus I only think bleeding edge users would need the speed of AC anyway) or people who are streaming a ton of stuff to multiple tvs over wifi. So unless you're one of those  just stick with N. You can probably hit up a few thrift stores around you and pick up some used routers for under $5 a pop - just check on the dd-wrt.com website in their router firmware database to make sure the router will be compatible with dd-wrt before you buy. You could get such a network for under $20 and a few hours setting it up.

Again this is for someone who has some time (and desire) to learn. but then you can forget about it. I've had several dd-wrt routers running for parents, in-laws, siblings, friends etc. and they can host VPNs, and run for years without ever needing a restart.

Plus you can install adblock stuff on them (I haven't taken that step yet myself) and then all computers/devices on your network will be much less bothered by ads.

I would also say it depends where you live.  AC routers can help out with congestion.  They have more channels available in 5GHz.  If you get older N routers, they also have the older power output ratings on 5GHz.  I have an old N router as an AP and it only has 4 5GHz channels and the coverage isn't nearly as good as my AC APs because it broadcasts at the older allowed power output which.

You don't even need dd-wrt or any other open firmware either.  If you have wire already going where you need it, just turn DHCP off on the router and it turns into a switch. 

• Like 1