ICS on Motorola Photon 4G

ericdabbs

When do you guys think we will start seeing the ICS leaked roms from Motorola? I have been dying for Motorola to hurry up and create the ICS rom already. I think its ridiculous that it has been taking so long.

I even unlocked the bootloader so that I can try out CM9 with ICS and let me tell you that is really nice. I love the new features and the UI but I recently reverted back to stock Gingerbread just so I can be ready for any ICS leaked roms.

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that Motorola's plans for ICS on the Photon wasn't until late Q2 or Q3. That was a couple months ago though.. guess it could have changed.

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that Motorola's plans for ICS on the Photon wasn't until late Q2 or Q3. That was a couple months ago though.. guess it could have changed.

Motorola said officially Q3 2012. I am talking about leaked ICS roms. I am hoping we start seeing some leaked ICS roms in late May or June.

The RAZR was supposed to be fall too, but they have an update coming soon to bring the RAZR up to ICS. I would think that the photon wouldn't be too far behind.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Bad news. It looks like the SOAK test is for an updated GB maintenance release. One of the Moto guys clarified the difference between an "update" and "upgrade". The call for a SOAK test was for an "update" so it makes sense. I guess Moto will have another SOAK test in Q3 for the ICS "upgrade". Oh well I wonder what Moto is going to fix in this maintenance release.

posted April 25, 2012 by Remy

ericchan3 said:

"New call for SOAK testers for an upcoming release. Look at the sticky thread for the update posted today. I am hoping its for the ICS update."

This is not going to be an ICS release for a couple of reasons:

1) It does not match up with the timeline posted here on the upgrades page.

2) Terminology; Update = maintenance update, fixes. Upgrade = OS upgrade, ie: ICS.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Thanks,

J

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/25829baf50

• 2 weeks later...

Before I got the Evo @ Google IO, I never had any phone but a Motorola (Minus a blackberry for about a month). So, when I had a upgrade to burn on a work device they were going to cancel, I got the Photon. Its a great phone by all means, but the lack of ICS, and the not easily unlocked bootloader have completely turned me off to them again. Back to HTC for me once LTE is in my area.

• 4 months later...

Well after owning the Photon 4G, I have given up hope on Motorola. Pretty good hardware with a lack of software updates is totally unacceptable.

Just yesterday 9/22, Motorola updated their ICS release schedule for their device and now the Photon 4G changed from a "Q4 2012 rollout" to a "Further plans coming soon" status which to me is a lame way of saying ICS will not be supported. I know that Motorola is trying to make a push to upgrade new devices to JB but I HIGHLY doubt that the 2011 devices that were snubbed out of ICS like the Atrix and Photon 4G are going to get a JB update instead of ICS.

I am truly disappointed that Motorola has abandoned efforts for an ICS/JB upgrade after stringing us customers along for a year. This is unacceptable as a company who has many promises and then pulls it out of the rug. They should be ashamed of themselves and certainly has lost a customer in me. I will never buy another Motorola phone even if they make promises of improving updates.

Also their $100 offer is only good if you buy a new Motorola device. It is still unclear on whether the $100 is applicable if you buy the new Motorola device at the subsidized price of $200 or at full retail price. If the $100 is only good if you buy a phone at full retail price then the offer is completely useless. Unless Motorola is saying they are giving $100 to all Photon, Atrix and Electrify customers for not getting ICS this offer does nothing for me. Even their current offer does not entice me one bit to jump back in the sinking ship of Motorola.

• Like 1

No ICS for Motorola Photon! Guess we are getting $100 form Motorola smh. (Or at least sell our)

http://www.technobuf...cream-sandwich/

Ew.

Here's hoping Google starts leveraging their position and forces Moto into making nexus-style phones. Seriously. It would do the world some good.

• 1 month later...

Visiting family this weekend, playing around with a photon, wondering why it was on old Android.

Goolgine revealed its stuck that way forever.

Needless to say, Motorla created a family that will simply never consider their products when it comes time to upgrade.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I really hate that Motorola abandoned the Photon. I'm using one now and love it. If it were LTE-capable I'd probably keep it.

Putting a homebrewed Jellybean on it really shows how good the hardware is.