How to Spot Sprint 8T8R TDD-LTE RRHs (Samsung)

lilotimz

Samsung Telecommunications America
2.5 ghz 8T8R RRH & Antenna
Model: RRH-V3 / RRH-B8

The equipment and antennas as posted are unique to Sprint Corporations nationwide 8T8R TDD-LTE deployment and there should absolutely be no mistaking these equipment for anyone elses. This specific setup uses a Samsung 8 Transmit 8 Receive (8T8R) Remote Radio Head (RRH) and a compatible 8T8R 2496-2690 mhz antenna.

A Sprint Samsung B41 TDD-LTE (Spark) 8T8R Setup

fkMN6sh.jpg

Samsung Network Vision 1.0 + 2.5 Setup

yJwC2Mu.jpg

xBEeviK.jpg

Ms6qbqQ.jpg

0INbHrC.jpg

NV 1.0 + 2.5 Setup with RADAR filters 

DlSJWl2.jpg

Close Look

9LzjDPN.jpg

hezMnNy.png

GJK6F8U.jpg

nmo133a.jpg

Am1d1DI.jpg

View from Back

0usLs0A.jpg

View from Below

Y7c7oMq.jpg

i7slyiD.jpg

KzAzOew.jpg

Special Case "Tri-Band Antenna" Setup
Deployed for engineering reasons these sites do not deploy a dedicated 8T8R antenna for 2.5 but instead opts for a three frequency antenna that supports 800 MHz + 1900 MHz and 2500 MHz. Due to size constraints for the antennas they limit the 8T8R RRUs to 4T4R (4 Jumpers from radios to antennas)  with the subsequent decrease of maximum capacity (60 MHz vs 120 MHz of 8T8R). 

Se5qIEG.jpg

Diagram of above setup

xtj2f9p.png

KxioKqz.png

Much thanks to el1117 & dkyeager & Oakley707

Full album

• Like 25

This is so dope... I want these radios in ABQ!!  Was this site live?

Will Sprint already start carrier aggregation with these antennas?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5183-how-to-spot-sprint-8t8r-td-lte-rrhs-alcatel-lucent/

To my knowledge, no. Word is it'll be live by May.

They can if they want to. 

Will the equipment look identical nationwide or will different vendors use different equipment? And how do we know who the vendors are for Clear/B41 in our areas?

Will the equipment look identical nationwide or will different vendors use different equipment? And how do we know who the vendors are for Clear/B41 in our areas?

Alcatel-Lucent : http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5183-how-to-spot-sprint-8t8r-td-lte-rrhs-alcatel-lucent/

Nokia Solutions & Networks (replacing Ericsson): http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/5657-how-to-spot-sprint-8t8r-td-lte-rrhs-nokia-solutions-networks/

-Antennas should be the same or very similar. 

-Wait for Robert to update the Clearwire maps we have :)

- If a market already has TDD-LTE then it's running Samsung or Huawei. Motorola markets would have none and will be replaced by Sprint deploying over their own sites. 

• Like 3

That tower is 10 miles from my house, and only 3 miles from El1117 that found it!  I checked the other towers in the "Cluster" but did not see any of these new antennas anywhere else.  

It is crazy because this site does not even have 4G turned on.

• Like 1

Thanks for the credit!  No, the site is not [4G] live yet, 3G/800 voice only at this point.  Hardware installer I spoke to said it is scheduled to throw out 4G by May, and when it does it will have all 3 bands live.

One thing I don't quite understand though, is he said it already has fiber ran to it, and with the 3G speeds I get from it I believe that.  However, I had ran into a crew (contractor for Time Warner) the day before that was stringing new cable.  They that said they were running it to this Sprint tower.  Is this a back haul upgrade I wonder?

He also told me that this tower has been Sprints "guinea pig" for testing.  He said it sees all the new stuff before most of the others do.

I'll keep you posted on any updates.

Thanks,

Eric

• Like 1

Does this mean the current b41 sites that have had equipment upgrades are not 8T8R capable?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Good question....not sure...

Does this mean the current b41 sites that have had equipment upgrades are not 8T8R capable?

Yep.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Yep.

Sent from my Nexus 5

I wonder if there is a plan to go back to all the current B41 sites and upgrade them to 8T8R equipment.  I think there should be.  However I think for now its more important for Sprint to just continue to expand the B41 LTE coverage with Clearwire sites and then once all the Clearwire sites are done, then go back and retrofit all the existing Clearwire sites that were not upgraded to 8T8R equipment.

I wonder if there is a plan to go back to all the current B41 sites and upgrade them to 8T8R equipment. I think there should be. However I think for now its more important for Sprint to just continue to expand the B41 LTE coverage with Clearwire sites and then once all the Clearwire sites are done, then go back and retrofit all the existing Clearwire sites that were not upgraded to 8T8R equipment.

That is what I believe. The contracts been signed and equipment produced. Go through with it and finish it up.

Once they finish deploying over sprints own sites they'll likely go back and replace it all for logistics and equipment commonality.

Huawei and Motorola is going bye bye at the end of the year so those markets will most likely get new 8t8r and sprint NV equipment over the former Clearwire sites for additional capacity.

Sent from my Nexus 5

That is what I believe. The contracts been signed and equipment produced. Go through with it and finish it up.

Once they finish deploying over sprints own sites they'll likely go back and replace it all to for logistics and equipment commonality.

Huawei and Motorola is going bye bye at the end of the year so those markets will most likely get new 8t8r and sprint NV equipment over the former Clearwire sites for additional capacity.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Maybe that's the holdup in my area..we are still stuck on legacy MOto stuff..:)

Greenville, OH has 2 Sprint towers. The southern one just received the same antennas. I didn't have my DSLR with me, only my GS3 so the pics aren't as good. I'll stop back by soon and get better pics, but until then... 2y6yta7a.jpgbe9ygyta.jpg Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Greenville, OH has 2 Sprint towers. The southern one just received the same antennas. I didn't have my DSLR with me, only my GS3 so the pics aren't as good. I'll stop back by soon and get better pics, but until then... Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

This one might actually be live since the sites 4G accepted and thus have advanced backhaul available.. 

This one might actually be live since the sites 4G accepted and thus have advanced backhaul available.. 

I hope to get up there soon with my son's G2 and see if it is.  I'll post any update...

Caught a decent shot of a 2.5 RRH just before the tower crew flew it. I got pulled into a ticket for an outage at the site and noticed the door was open, so I went for a ride to see who was there. I added another photo of the entire assembly as well.

Because of the way they had to mount the pole to the t-frame, they couldn't connect the jumpers until it was secured.

IMGP5698.JPG

IMGP5702.JPG

• Like 19

• 1 month later...